removal of 1080-FE from PCI slot...

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
I'm in the final stages of my Mini-ITX form factor computer build.
Components:
Ncase M1 chassis (very small case), Asus Z170i MB, nVidia 1080-FE, Corsair SF600 PS...

It's possible I put the 1080-FE power cable into the SF600 upside down. The little plastic clip that is supposed to prevent that broke off earlier. So, I believe when I put the cable into the PSU it could have been upside down. Is it crucial to get the cable oriented correctly, or does it not matter? Because, if it is crucial, then I have a big problem.

Because the case is so small, I have to remove the video card to get access to the cable going to the power supply. I can't get the 1080 vid card out of it's PCI slot on the motherboard...it's stuck. I've pushed down on the little tab at the end of the card, but no luck.

Help...

antihelten

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
The little plastic clip that broke off isn't really there to prevent you from plugging in the cable upside down, but rather to ensure that the cable stays in place.

The thing that prevents you from plugging in the cable upside down is the fact that the individual pins of the PCIe connector have different shapes and as such will only fit in the connector in one orientation. So unless you used an excessive amount of force, it really shouldn't be possible to connect it upside down.

Awesome choice of case btw.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
The little plastic clip that broke off isn't really there to prevent you from plugging in the cable upside down, but rather to ensure that the cable stays in place.

The thing that prevents you from plugging in the cable upside down is the fact that the individual pins of the PCIe connector have different shapes and as such will only fit in the connector in one orientation. So unless you used an excessive amount of force, it really shouldn't be possible to connect it upside down.

Awesome choice of case btw.

Thanks, yes the case is just the coolest looking damn thing... :)

Good information there, thx.

I have never seen a video card so tightly installed on a MB.... the card end that's slotted into the back (I/O) side of the case is wedged into this little slot so that, so far, I just can't seem to get it out. I start at the other end where the little tab is that you push down on. But the card just doesn't move as I try every dang way to get it out...

from SNL....RoseAnne RoseAnneADana > "...It's always something..." :(

I'm really scared to leave it 'as is' and just boot it up for the first time...

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
The card isn't just (as is usual) locked in place by the system on the end of the pci-e slot?

I doubt the cable is in the wrong way, that would require a lot of effort, but I guess you could disconnect the gpu power cable and start, and measure the voltages with a multimeter if you want to be sure.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
The card isn't just (as is usual) locked in place by the system on the end of the pci-e slot?

I doubt the cable is in the wrong way, that would require a lot of effort, but I guess you could disconnect the gpu power cable and start, and measure the voltages with a multimeter if you want to be sure.

DOH......... There was a little rectangular plate I hadn't removed right near where the 1080 attached to the back of the case... Got the 1080 removed from the MB. Turns out I'll still have to remove other components out of the case to be able to get to where the 1080 power cable goes into the SF600 PS.

But, based on what several people are telling me, both here and at the Hard Forums' NCase M1 thread, it's highly unlikely I would even have been able to get that power cable into the SF600 if it was upside down. So, I'm thinking of just booting this new rig up without changing anything..............................
-a bit frightened in Rhode Island

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
The power cables are keyed, look closely at them, it is to prevent them from being installed incorrectly.
pcie8index.jpg

pcie6plus2index.jpg

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
The power cables are keyed, look closely at them, it is to prevent them from being installed incorrectly.
pcie8index.jpg

pcie6plus2index.jpg
The little clip on top is what was broken off this power connector, and a few days later I plugged the cable into the PS. So, as I said it's possible I put it in upside down. I tried to boot system for the first time yesterday.... would NOT... MB light came on and monitor said "no signal", with no fans turning... My buddy is helping me w/ it tomm. (Tuesday)

littleg

Jul 9, 2015
You'd have to use a hell of a lot of force to plug that connector in wrong. Have you looked at the plug to see if the pastic casing around the metal connections is deformed?