Remotes other than the Harmony?

Shyatic

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2004
Any suggestions? I had loved the Harmony 300i but they don't make it any more... and I'm not buying a $100 remote for functions I don't need.

Just curious if there are any more PC programmable remotes or just good remotes out there?

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
iirc URC is in the only other company that actually makes some decent usable ones, so no, I don't think there is anything else out that.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Was doing some research after reading your post and came across this app, its for Galaxy devices only (or any other phone or tablet with IR), I have 2 of them, so bought it. Will play around over the weekend and see how it works...

abekl

Jul 2, 2011
Any suggestions? I had loved the Harmony 300i but they don't make it any more... and I'm not buying a $100 remote for functions I don't need.

Just curious if there are any more PC programmable remotes or just good remotes out there?
Sony, believe it or not, makes a very functional universal remote that actually works well with all the functions you really need.

RM-VLZ620

http://store.sony.com/learning-remote-control-zid27-RMVLZ620/cat-27-catid-All-TV-Remotes?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Last edited:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
URC remotes are great.

Assuming the seller packages the full control software with them, yeah, they are great. If not, they are shit that you need to take into the dealer and pay every time you change components in your setup.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Was doing some research after reading your post and came across this app, its for Galaxy devices only (or any other phone or tablet with IR), I have 2 of them, so bought it. Will play around over the weekend and see how it works...

I bought this one instead. It's not pretty, but it does everything.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Are Marantz remotes still good? I had one from 15 years ago before they went to the LCD screens and Marantz was tops and it had a receiver so you did not need a code, you could press the other remote button while pointing at the marantz remote and generate the code that way.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Assuming the seller packages the full control software with them, yeah, they are great. If not, they are shit that you need to take into the dealer and pay every time you change components in your setup.

The two I used didn't need software at all. Plus they could memorize all the commands of my other remotes.

wbynum

Jul 14, 2005
RCA makes a JP1 remote that is gravy. Highly recommended on the various HTPC forums. I forget the model number but should be easy to find. Goes for like $8 at Wallyworld. I have been very happy with it on my Windows 7 WMC PC.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I'm probably in the minority here but I have an HP HDX remote which I absolutely love. It's really small but has enough buttons to do everything I need in XBMC. Only con is it's not backlit. Size will be a con if you don't like small remotes. It's fully MCE compatible so every button's map-able with something like Ghost. I've had other remotes where some of the buttons weren't recognizable by my IR receiver.

448165-002.jpg