remote that controls my TV, stereo, Xbox, etc.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
A few months ago I posted regarding a remote that controls my TV, stereo, Xbox, etc. something like a harmony something?

Im looking for the cheapest all in one solution, anyone know of one?>

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net
Originally posted by: Don Rodriguez
Can the Logitech Harmony 659 Remote Control control XBOX?

Should be able to do just about any device. I think the limitations on the lower models are mostly in the number of available macro commands.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Yeah I also recommend the Harmony remote. If you can afford it, snag the 880 - it's definitely worth the $$$. In order to control an original Xbox, you will need the Microsoft DVD kit which includes the IR dongle that plugs into one of the controller ports. You can also turn the Xbox on and off by installing a special chip, either the XIR or XERC 2:

http://cheaplpc.com/xir/

http://sickmods.net/index.php?site=shop&cat=XERCs

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
URC remotes (MX series) are way better than the Harmony series, but if you think the Harmony series is expensive then you probably don't want to look at the URC ones :p I consider the Harmony remotes a pretty good value however, but they do have some quality issues, so make sure you buy it from someplace with a good return policy.

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
The Harmony kit is spiffy, but as surplssales.com you can get a black-and-white Fujitsu Stylistic PC for 40$. I know that there's a ton of IR control software out there for the assorted WinTV and Freevo distros; if you could get it to work, you could control ANYTHING.

akubi

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
while harmony is the best recommendation, i think a generic universal remote in the bargain bin at radio shack might be more up his alley.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: thirdeye
Originally posted by: Amused
I've got my eyes on the Harmony 1000

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ...armony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=12498

I'm going to wait for it to be released and see some real world reviews first.

That thing looks awesome, but 5 bills for a remote......

The problem with home theators is this:

There is a high learning curve for non AV savvy folks. I have friends and family who have a hard time learning how to simply turn on my AV equipment and watch a show.

This thing looks like it would pull it all together much like the far more expensive solutions. I could have a button for each activity and create my own activities. With the LCD screen each activity could be simple buttons even the brain dead GF's mother could understand.

I could have simple activities, still access the higher functions if I need to.

Until now, control systems like this have been over a grand. If this this can do what I think it can do, it will be the cheapest solution of it's kind yet.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I get the Logitech partner discount yet it's still fricken expensive... :(

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ...armony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=12498

There is a high learning curve for non AV savvy folks. I have friends and family who have a hard time learning how to simply turn on my TV and watch a show.

This thing looks like it would pull it all together much like the far more expensive solutions. I could have a button for each activity and create my own activities. With the LCD screen each activity could be simple buttons even the brain dead GF's mother could understand.

Oh I completely understand the usefulness of it. I'd love to get one myself I could never justify to the wife that I needed a $500 remote though.

She thought I was insane that I spent $250 on one (though she quickly realized it was well worth the money).

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

There is a high learning curve for non AV savvy folks. I have friends and family who have a hard time learning how to simply turn on my TV and watch a show.

Oh I completely understand the usefulness of it. I'd love to get one myself I could never justify to the wife that I needed a $500 remote though.

She thought I was insane that I spent $250 on one (though she quickly realized it was well worth the money).

Until now, control systems like this have been over a grand. If this this can do what I think it can do, it will be the cheapest solution of it's kind yet. :)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Cheesehead
Advantage #23 of building your own stereo and HT equipment:

You always know how to work the remote.

...but your friends will never know how.

And family! I had fun setting up my home theater but my family has no idea how to use it without a good universal remote :eek:

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: akubi
550 and 659 are for poseurs and wannabes. buy the 890 or 1000

You are pretentious, need I start to explain why again?

Oh wait, I'm sorry, I forgot how sensitive you are.

akubi

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Originally posted by: Don Rodriguez
Originally posted by: akubi
550 and 659 are for poseurs and wannabes. buy the 890 or 1000

You are pretentious, need I start to explain why again?

Oh wait, I'm sorry, I forgot how sensitive you are.

oh my, did I just hit a nerve? that was uncalled for :eek:

"I could care less about you thinking I'm pretentious, you have proven enough to me already that you care well beyond comparison what I think of you by posting here. i have brought the hate out in you, all too easy! " -Don Rodriguez