Remote Start on a SUV?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I have a 2002 Dodge Durango and my wife wants a Remote Start type unit added so the car can warm up during our nice cold winter's in WI. I know nothing about these things and would take information on Manufacturers, features, prices, installation (self or not).

It already has power everything (remote locks, etc) so a remote that would be able to control those as well would be great so I woudln't have to have 2 remote on the keychain.

Anyway, any advice, options, suggestions, etc would be great.

Thanks.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Car stereo and alarm shops sell and install those things. I'm not sure how well they tend to integrate with existing keyless entry though. If you want power locks and remote starting to operate from a single remote, expect to pay extra for the control unit and installation, assuming it's available.

Where to look? I'd go anywhere except Best Buy.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Most remote starters can be integrated with factory wiring. If you get the right system you'll have control over the rear hatch, windows, locks, lights, etc. Basically you can control your whole car from a remote (now if only you could drive it too!).

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Astrostart is really common here in ND. You could probably have it put in at any automotive service type place.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I just got an aftermarket alarm for my Tahoe and got the Remote Start option, it also controls my door locks and I could add the option down the road to have it open or close my windows if I want. The whole package cost me $500.

Oh, btw it is a Viper Alarm.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Most remote starters can be integrated with factory wiring. If you get the right system you'll have control over the rear hatch, windows, locks, lights, etc. Basically you can control your whole car from a remote (now if only you could drive it too!).
My remote has hatch and door locks but I'd like to get a remote starter just the same. You're saying the "right system" can throw all that and lights/engine on the same remote also ? Keeping my existing alarm is important to me (it's unique yet from factory).

How much does it usually run ?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
you can add an aftermarket remote starter/keyless to your existing remote, but you will be limited to the range of your remote. Most factory keyless remotes are only good for ~40 feet. Get a good remote start and it will do everything your existing remote does, plus remote start. A good system will give you at least a couple hundred feet of range. Look at DEI's products. They are a good brand. Expect to pay around $200-$250 for the system and install. (you have a factory alarm, plus you might have an antitheft device. You can tell if you have the anti-theft if you have a grey key)

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: NutBucket
My remote has hatch and door locks but I'd like to get a remote starter just the same. You're saying the "right system" can throw all that and lights/engine on the same remote also ? Keeping my existing alarm is important to me (it's unique yet from factory).

How much does it usually run ?

What do you mean by keeping the existing alarm? Like using the remote start to control some functions? I suppose you could do that but I would guess the factory alarm would have to be set up as to not interfere with the remote starter and vice versa. I'm not an expert so go see one;):)