Remote login to 10.7

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by GWestphal, Dec 12, 2012.

1. GWestphal

GWestphal Golden Member

I want to be able to log in to my computer running 10.7.4 at home from a different location using a Windows client.

I've tried built in VNC Screen Sharing, but it just doesn't work. I can get a login screen, but it won't allow the input of a password.

I've tried VINE server, but I could never get a windows client to connect to it.

I'm pretty sure I have all the router stuff set up right. I have ports 5900-5901 forwarded to my Mac box. I have a Virtual Server setup forwarding public side to my Mac box.

I've looked through lots of articles on Apple forums, but I can't seem to find a solution.

Anybody have this working?

2. KeithP

KeithP Diamond Member

Logmein.com has a free version that should do what you want. You install their software on the computer you want to access remotely. Then, you go to their web page, sign in to your account and you should be able to to start a remote session.

Windows to Mac, Mac to Windows, Linux probably works as well. They also have iOS and Android apps.

I have been using the free version for a number of years and it works well.

-KeithP

3. GWestphal

GWestphal Golden Member

Thanks that seems to be working locally, we'll see how the performance is from over the net.

4. jalaram

jalaram Lifer

Another vote from me. I've used it many times over the local network and the internet to connect to my SL, Lion, and ML Macs.

I'm hoping to try Splashtop for local network remote control soon since I've heard that it's performance is pretty good.

5. dave_the_nerd

...do you have the firewall on the mac turned off? Built-in VNC works fine for me.

6. GWestphal

GWestphal Golden Member

Yeah, I had tried it with the firewall and little snitch turned off as well. The problem is from connecting from a windows vnc client to the machine. It's widely reported to be broken. You can get the login screen to pop up, but you will be unable to enter the password or you'll be able to login once, but not subsequent times, also not being able to log in if there is a console session (which is the whole point!).

7. GWestphal

GWestphal Golden Member

I tried both logmein and TeamViewer, both are great services. TeamViewer is completely free but requires an install. Where logmein is through any browser and costs 50/year, which for the elegance of it is probably worth it.

8. dave_the_nerd

Try finding a third-party VNC server that also supports web connections.

9. KeithP

KeithP Diamond Member

Do you need the Pro version of Logmein? I have always found the free version to be adequate.

-KeithP

10. GWestphal

GWestphal Golden Member

Maybe they don't off a full free version anymore. There is a 30-day free trial, unless I'm missing something.

11. umrigar

umrigar Platinum Member

12. dawks

dawks Diamond Member

They certainly do offer a free version. I'm using it on 70 computers. Normally they ask when you download if you'd like to trial the Pro version. After the 30 day trial is up, it down-grades to the free version and continues to work.

The pro offers system statistics, and higher bandwidth for 'HD streaming'. If you just need remote access, free is fine.

13. GWestphal

GWestphal Golden Member

Cool, that's all I really need. Thanks for clearing that up.

14. Theb

Theb Diamond Member

TeamViewer has a portable executable so it doesn't have to be installed, but you do have to carry it around with you or copy the executable onto every computer you want to connect from.