Remote Desktop question

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Is it possible when using RD to allow the remote machine to see the session? Right now when I remote into a machine on the company domain it shows the login screen during the course of the session. Unless I missed it, I don't see an option to change that behavior.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
There is none. 3rd party tools would be required for that functionality.

postmark

May 17, 2011
Not in the default RDP. You can setup VNC with realVNC which would give you this ability.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Is it possible when using RD to allow the remote machine to see the session? Right now when I remote into a machine on the company domain it shows the login screen during the course of the session. Unless I missed it, I don't see an option to change that behavior.

users can send in a remote assistance request but ive honesly never seen anyone use that feature really, from looking at it the implementation is poor.

if you have a few machines to get to regularly try logmein or something (under 10 is free free, not sure if theres a technical business limitation or not though), if you have a one-off here and there use teamviewer or crossloop, if you need it a lot then there are lots of products with an agent or agentless install that will give you screen sharing. VNC is ok, logmein, goverlan, dameware, teamviewer, kaseya and some others can offer this as an option with varying price ranges depending on your needs/budget and can also offer reporting/inventory/remote config/management/software updates and such

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Remote assistance works fine. We use it extensively. You can role a domain policy if you want to change the need for invites based on AD groups etc. The only place it "has trouble" is if someone is outside the network. We have teamviewer for that.

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
Rdp is the consumer version of terminal services which allows that. The restriction is purely artificial.

Feb 25, 2011
You could even just use join.me.

VNC enterprise is nifty though. Even allows AD authentication.