Remote Desktop over LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by champion-7891, Jan 5, 2013.

1. champion-7891

champion-7891 Member

Hi

I am not sure whether this is the correct sub-forum for my query, so moderators please shift to the appropriate one if so.

I am currently using Team Viewer on a laptop to access my desktop rig. Both these PCs are on my home LAN (albiet the laptop is connected via wifi rather than ethernet). Opening an HD video located on my desktop using team viewer on my laptop has a poor, low quality, laggy, stuttered playback on my laptop (although playing the same video over the LAN if shared has no such issues).

I assume the issue lies with the fact that there is some latency using a remote desktop software like team viewer. So my question is whether it is possible to have an ultra smooth experience (over the LAN, I am sure involving the internet will never work) using team viewer or an alternate software for video playback and maybe even some low end gaming?

#1 champion-7891, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z Lifer

You can try turning the TV Quality settings to Optimize for speed. I can usually watch stuff on my desktop remotely, little choppy sometimes though.

also, allow LAN connections in the TV settings, then when you're at home you can hit the desktop over TV with a local IP (192.168.x.x, whatever your settings are), that will make it so the traffic stays local and the TV servers aren't involved...reducing latency and increasing speed.

I use this same setup..

3. champion-7891

champion-7891 Member

hmmm I did connecting exclusively through LAN using 192.168.0.x IPs - however, it still isn't working as its supposed to

4. jpiniero

jpiniero Diamond Member

Try RDP maybe?

5. ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z Lifer

optimized for speed or quality?

6. imagoon

imagoon Diamond Member

I recall team viewer is a frame buffer capture isn't it? Those tend to have CPU issues because the image has to captured processed and compressed before sending. RDP is closer to the Xserver concept where lot more of the raw element data is sent over the wire and tends to be less intensive. I have watched HD video over it before without issue.

7. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

Gaming is a different story from playing Video files and many times it simply Not functional enough to do it over from another computer.

As fa as Video files goes, what is preventing you from using File Sharing and open the Video File with a program like VLC through the LAN?

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=599

:cool:

8. champion-7891

champion-7891 Member

both - i mean reducing quality sort of defeats the point of HD...anyways playing simple non HD videos has the same choppiness issue

9. champion-7891

champion-7891 Member

I actually found RDP to be slightly worse off (subjectively) than teamviewer while playing videos

10. champion-7891

champion-7891 Member

Addendum: my remote PC has win8 pro running and the client i am sitting on has Win 7 Pro

11. Fardringle

Fardringle Diamond Member