Remote Desktop issues

LEDominator

May 31, 2006
So I am trying to remote desktop into my desktop I have at home while I am house sitting for my grandma. I have a linksys WRT54GL running tomato 1.21 at home and set up to forward port 3389 to my desktop as well as use dyndns to ensure the address is constant. When I am at my grandmas house, I open remote desktop and enter in my dyndns address and the port number (I set it up so that I have one external port use 3389 on the internal lan). What ends up happening is it will act like it is going to connect but it will then stop and return to the connection window. It doesn't output any errors or anything and I have checked the windows logs and they don't show anything. Any ideas as to what is happening?

jlazzaro

Golden Member
May 6, 2004
are u sure the address is still correct? are you using the update software?

try to telnet on that port...telnet foobar.dyndns.org 3389. does it return a blank screen or close immediately? have you tested RDP internally?

LEDominator

May 31, 2006
Originally posted by: jlazzaro
are u sure the address is still correct? are you using the update software?

try to telnet on that port...telnet foobar.dyndns.org 3389. does it return a blank screen or close immediately? have you tested RDP internally?

Yeah, I had thought that the dyndns address wasn't updating right earlier and last time I was home I checked it. The address updates from the router fine. What is weird is that if I telnet to the address I have set up it returns a blank screen. So I am inclined to think that the port is active it is just somewhere along the line something is tweaking. I haven't tested it internally, I will do that when I head home later today. I thought that maybe it was something on this computer so I tried connecting to my brothers computer and it connects fine so it is definitely something on my desktops end.

LEDominator

May 31, 2006
so I went home today and tried from a different computer. Same thing happens with both the dyndns address as well as the local host name. No errors just a kick back to the connection window. Oddly, I can go the other direction and connect remotely to the other pc from my desktop no problems. Any ideas? I also double checked the firewalls and windows firewall is configured to let remote desktop through.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
Are you sure the "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" is checked? Its not by default.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
This is related to video drivers somewhat but there is a registry hack that will allow you to use RDP again.

This problem is not specific to any one graphics company. It can probably happen with printer drivers too.

The root of the problem is that the session image space is too small and it can't load any more drivers into it. The session image space is shared for the display driver drivers and printer drivers. rdpdd = remote desktop protocol display driver.

You can fix this bug by increasing the size of the session image space via a registry key. Add the following key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

"SessionImageSize"=dword:00000020

0x20 == 32 MB works on my system anyway.

This has to be done on the REMOTE system, not the host.