Remodeling my Kitchen - Part Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
So, we have a gas cooktop on our island. It is a 30" Jenn-Aire Downdraft model. It is rather small for our family.

Part of our redoing of the cabinets is increasing the size of the island, which would then allow and really call for, an increase to at least a 36" gas downdraft. There are two problems with built-in downdraft: 1) There are only a couple choices for 30 and 36" downdraft gas cooktops nowadays, and 2) There are no options above 36" unless I go with a Jenn-Aire that uses a non-standard size.

Now, I can go with a seperate pop-up downdraft, but that will double my cost. Before anyone suggests it, a hood is not an option.

As I've been going over things, I'm now debating whether a vent, downdraft or otherwise, is really even needed. It's not a safety issue, it's more just to pull out smells and greasy vapor. We have a very open concept with lots of windows, so do I really even need one? If I don't that will open up a myriad of different choices for a cooktop.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
So, we have a gas cooktop on our island. It is a 30" Jenn-Aire Downdraft model. It is rather small for our family.

Part of our redoing of the cabinets is increasing the size of the island, which would then allow and really call for, an increase to at least a 36" gas downdraft. There are two problems with built-in downdraft: 1) There are only a couple choices for 30 and 36" downdraft gas cooktops nowadays, and 2) There are no options above 36" unless I go with a Jenn-Aire that uses a non-standard size.

Now, I can go with a seperate pop-up downdraft, but that will double my cost. Before anyone suggests it, a hood is not an option.

As I've been going over things, I'm now debating whether a vent, downdraft or otherwise, is really even needed. It's not a safety issue, it's more just to pull out smells and greasy vapor. We have a very open concept with lots of windows, so do I really even need one? If I don't that will open up a myriad of different choices for a cooktop.

personally I wouldn't run a a cooktop without some sort of venting. You say a hood isn't an option, but that is what I would recommend. using a down draft is going against physics and you will need a pretty powerful (read that as $$$$) unit to work with a 36" setup - this is assuming you are getting a decent BTU setup. it sounds like you do a fair amount of cooking if you want to move to a larger cooktop.

Venting is more than just the smells. if you are cooking a fair amount, you will be producing a fair amount of greese... all that will be rising and end up in your ceiling. on my old kitchen with a crappy vent, the upper cabinets were just nasty from the years of cooking. I spent like 3 grand on my venting to avoid this on my new setup. I opened up the ceiling, ran new exhaust, cut a new vent in the side of the house. Picked up a substantial vent-a-hood.

your money, your house, but I can't see putting in a decent cooking unit and having some crappy vent or none at all.

edit:
I have an island unit as well- this is the one I ended up with. found a new dead stock unit on ebay that had the older style lighting (fluorescent vs the new halogen) for about 1/2 the price of the current models. everything else is the same, came from an authorized dealer. it saved me enough money to have 1200 sq/ft of my ceilings redone in knockdown!!!
http://www.ventahood.com/index.php?...&cat=STANDARD+ISLAND+PRO+HOODS&modelsku=PYH30

Not sure why a hood isn't an option, but personally I'd figure out out a way to run at least a down draft if you can't make a hood work

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I've never liked down drafts. The units that will actually draw out smoke also pull the flame away from the pot you're heating. A hood is the proper way to vent cooking steam and smoke. That said, if you don't want one, that's your choice, don't put one in. You'll end up with a great deal more grease on the ceiling and upper cabinets, but it can be cleaned off.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Just a heads up, they sell downdraft units separately as well as built in to the cook top. A separate unit would allow you to install any cook top you choose. I have never liked them myself but, I also hate "open concept" kitchens. :D

I just read the part about 'doubling your costs,' a decent separate unit costs about $500. How much do you think a hood would cost? A decent hood would be at least $1500.

Last edited:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
downdraft...not even once! My dad and I installed a pretty beefy Vent-a-Hood and the house still stinks when they're cooking.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Just a heads up, they sell downdraft units separately as well as built in to the cook top. A separate unit would allow you to install any cook top you choose. I have never liked them myself but, I also hate "open concept" kitchens. :D

I just read the part about 'doubling your costs,' a decent separate unit costs about $500. How much do you think a hood would cost? A decent hood would be at least $1500.
Haven't found a separate pop-up downdraft fir less than $1k and most need an additional blower.

I would have to bust out the ceiling for a hood vent.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Haven't found a separate pop-up downdraft fir less than $1k and most need an additional blower.

Both the separate downdraft units and hood units can be vented through a side wall. Non vented recirculating filter units should be avoided. Seriously, do some research and talk to the professionals. Remember, talking doesn't cost you anything and is often more productive than searching online.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002

You aren't going to find anything decent for under a grand. Not when you're talking down draft, island, and 36" cooktop

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Both the separate downdraft units and hood units can be vented through a side wall. Non vented recirculating filter units should be avoided. Seriously, do some research and talk to the professionals. Remember, talking doesn't cost you anything and is often more productive than searching online.

I already have a downdraft unit. Been talking to professionals. Just wondering with my remodel if a downdraft is necessary. Some say it is, some say "meh".

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
You aren't going to find anything decent for under a grand. Not when you're talking down draft, island, and 36" cooktop

Just the downdraft. Island is part of our cabinetry cost. I'm working directly with the cabinet maker and granite/tile guys. I'll install my own cooktop and downdraft.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
Just the downdraft. Island is part of our cabinetry cost. I'm working directly with the cabinet maker and granite/tile guys. I'll install my own cooktop and downdraft.

I understood that. if you have a cooktop on an island, proper venting is MUCH harder. With a traditional setup, you have a back wall to work with. being its open on all sides proves more challenging and requires a more substantial setup.

Like I said, if you have a grand, you aren't going to get anything other than a cheapo china-off brand. You could find one with decent flow, but it will likely be loud. if that's your budget, that's your budget. You just won't likely get anything functionally decent for that kind of money. I had to open up my ceiling for my setup. I was taking down a partial wall though, so I was going in anyways. regardless I would have done it. I lived with a kitchen with a crap vent hood - no flow, mounted too low to cooking area..... it was a major point for me in my remodel. I just can't see going through a remodel, upgrading your cooking appliances and not properly addressing the venting.

when it comes to remodels and budgets, you have to realize a budget is kind of a starting point. You are constantly getting into situations like, while I am in there... what's an extra few hundred.... oh, I didn't expect that....

I seriously nearly spent twice what I initially budgeted for my remodel.
-Venting ended up being 1.5 times what I expected -> I had looked into it before hand, but didn't realize the impact of my range top being in the island had
-upgraded to a range top from a cook top. doubled the price of that appliance (+$1500)
- counter tops cost me a few hundred extra (+350)
- under cabinet lighting was almost 3x what I had budgeted (+500)
- redoing ceilings in the whole level cost me extra (+$2000)
- had to run new wire to my double ovens because existing wire couldn't handle load (+200)
- momma decided she had to have the farm sink (+$700)
- extra money for special order faucet (+200)

^^^ that's off the top of my head. I know there was more.

heck I still have trim work and some painting to do.

Edit:

to give you some perspective, I paid 1650 for my vent hood... I was ready to pull the trigger on a $3700 modern aire setup until I found the vent-a-hood on ebay literally the morning I was going to place my order for the modern aire setup. Yes, I know both numbers are absurd.

I have a 36" DCS range top. My hood is a 42" setup. I believe I installed 6" exhaust ducting. I have seen some china stuff that people run.... just not in the same league, but can be had in the ~700-800 buck range. I would not buy anything with screen filters. I would only get baffles, or the squirrel cage style that V-A-H runs.

I would spend some time on gardenweb and see what people have to say. I spent a lot of time on those forums during my remodel. They are very opinionated about things like venting and cooktops/ranges/rangetops

Last edited:

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
I already have a downdraft unit. Been talking to professionals. Just wondering with my remodel if a downdraft is necessary. Some say it is, some say "meh".

They are saying 'meh' likely because downdrafts aren't really all the effective. When I shopped venting everyone steered me away from them..... said only if it is ABSOLUTELY your only option

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
They are saying 'meh' likely because downdrafts aren't really all the effective. When I shopped venting everyone steered me away from them..... said only if it is ABSOLUTELY your only option

I'm going to try and take a few pics to show my current set-up and see what your thoughts are. See if I can get it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.