Remind me to never purchase an Acura again.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
I had put a deposit down on a new Pontiac GTO this past September and offered my Audi S4 for sale a month from my anticipated delivery date of late December. Unfortunately because of dealer shenanigans, my GTO was sold to someone else who evidently offered to pay above MSRP. Dealer slapped on wrist and Pontiac could do nothing for me other than "give me a deal" on one with the specs I requested but that has yet to actually arrive stateside as of today.

Would have been nice, but since I already sold my Audi to a friend whose lease was up, that would have meant nearly 3 months of sharing the Pacifica with the wife. Not gonna happen.

So I searched for something else and fancied the new Acura TL. Being a geek, the pretty blue lighting of the dash, bluetooth hands free phone profile, sweet sounding stereo, and smart looking interior sold me on the vehicle. I plunked down a deposit on a 6 speed model due for delivery in a few weeks and went home pretty happy.

2 weeks later I picked up the car. Unfortunately, because of terrible weather I was unable to give the car a proper shakedown prior to signing on the dotted line, but being the trusting soul I am, and firmly believing in Honda/Acura's reputation in building solid automobiles, I purchased the vehicle after only a short spin around the block in 4 inches of snow. It pretty much snowed for the next 2 weeks straight in these parts and I never really had the opportunity to hit even highway speeds.

When the weather finally broke and I was able to hit the pavement with some real velocity I was horrified by the massage my ass and hands were getting from what seemed like I was driving on square tires.

Took my car to the dealer to have the vibrations looked at and the tech apparently did everything he could to not detect my concerns (we are on the bumpiest road in southeastern Michigan and he says "I don't feel any vibrations other than the bumpy road). I politely asked the service moron to hit the nice newly resurfaced stretch of highway about a mile away from our current location. No kidding, when he gets the car up to 60 MPH he states "I don't feel anything" and I'm sitting in the passenger seat getting a nice 1000 fingers butt massage wondering how this moron doesn't feel anything when I notice he's got a more than firm grip on the wheel. I politely ask him to remove his hands from the wheel for a second and he pretends not to hear my request until I sternly ask again. Reluctantly he lets go of the wheel and it's visably shaking pretty violently. He knows he's busted and doesn't say a word for the rest of the trip back to the dealership. Of course now I'm wondering what's going on with this tech's behavior......

Long story short, after several attempts to fix my persistant vibration problems, I'm waiting on some new "reformulated" OEM replacement tires from my dealership. I've got 4000 miles on this car and the persistant vibration has started to cause several rattles and squeaks as the interior pieces start to seperate themselves from each other.

I find that I'm not alone in my grief as several have complained, also evidenced by Bridgestone attempting a fix for these OEM tires. Unfortunately, those who have received these new tires (just hitting dealerships this week) still complain of persistant vibration problems. So if it isn't the tires, what then? I asked my dealer to fit a different set of tires and wheels that are known to be good to my car and test it, but he flat out said, "nope, not going to happen, but we want you to be happy....." Hell, if you wanted to make me happy, you might actually take the 1 hour it would take to try my suggestion. Just a thought and would confirm if my issues are tire related or not.

All I can say is that for 4 years, driving my S4 was a joy. I actually looked forward to my commute to/from work (40 minutes mostly of back roads). Now I loathe driving this piece of vibrating rattle trap crap......and wonder about the obvious punishment the wheel bearings must be suffering.

Honda/Acura, you suck. I've started the lemon law process. I can't wait to get rid of this piece of crap.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: redly1
uh, remind yourself not to buy cars without driving them ;)

A regretful mistake, rest assured one that will not be duplicated.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
This is basically why Lexus is kicking Acura's ass. Lexus chose the best dealerships while Acura is sold by any Billy's Auto Sales.

Considering most Toyota dealerships provide better CS then Honda's lexury division, its obvious why Acura is just a more expensive Honda while Lexus is a whole other story.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Wow, that's very surprising and it really, really sucks. Sorry to hear that. Honda/Acura has a great reputation for initial quality, so you are right to be upset. Hopefully it's just the tires, but even if it is, the dealership seems like they could be giving you better customer service.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I am driving my third Honda product and have not had any problems with them. I am surprised they did not fix it for you.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
what was the technician thinking, you'd just believe him when he said he didn't feel the obvious vibrations? Honestly, people are so stupid sometimes.

NathanBWF

Golden Member
May 29, 2003
I've got a 2002 Acura RSX and couldn't be happier with it. So you may have gotten a lemon, it happens, but I think if you look at Acura/Honda's track record you'll see that they have a reputation for well made automobiles. This may sound pointless, but if I were you I'd write a letter to Acura. I bet someone high up on the ladder whould contact you back and try to work something out, not to mention check into that dealership and see what the hell is going on...

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
my friend has an Acura SUV, its almost always in the shop. I think he's driven the Ford explorer his dealership lends to him more than he's driven his Acura

gunblade

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2002
I wonder what the looks of the tech is when he got back to the dealership.

Imagine,

dealer : Have you managed to pretend no issue at all?

tech : Danm, this piece of sh!t we's sold was so bad that even I can't cover it.
If it was the mor0n last time, probably it should have been done.

dealer : But... but you managed the last 20 times or so tho ....

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It seems to be a little known fact (although I don't know why) that Honda/Acura has some of the worst dealer customer service of any manufacturer (except may VW sales :p ). My entire experience with the Acura dealers in my area has been nothing short of outrageous.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
known issue with those tires. (they suck BTW) Acura knows about it.

http://www.acura-tl.com

demand the high performance tires at no cost. DEMAND THEM. I've been very impressed with 'em. Great dry traction, pretty good wet.

Mine's running smooth as silk. Best car I've ever owned.

oh, and never buy an acura again.
:)

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Go back to the dealer ship that sold the leamon ask about other car to see if they vibrate. Find one that does vibrate with dealer plates brack out the crappy jack and start swapping tires. Be very visiable so that they can't get any sales I'm sure it will make a point to the dealership.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic
It seems to be a little known fact (although I don't know why) that Honda/Acura has some of the worst dealer customer service of any manufacturer (except may VW sales :p ). My entire experience with the Acura dealers in my area has been nothing short of outrageous.

VW may suck, but Audi has been splendid to me.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07
known issue with those tires. Acura knows about it.

demand the high performance tires at no cost.

You like the car, but you are telling people to never buy one again?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti

That's what the OP requested.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti

He's just acquiescing to my request.

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
The tire issue is well known. Check out the Acura TL forums mentioned above. I suggest going to a different dealer. The TL is a fine vehicle, but being in its first year of production there are kinks that need to be worked out. I'm confident that Acura will make it right for you.. and if the dealer is being shady you need to call Acura.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
It's because of cars like the one you bought that you are supposed to test drive the car before you buy it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Mill

VW may suck, but Audi has been splendid to me.
Now, now... I didn't knock Audi. While VW and Audi may be part of the same corporation just like Honda/Acura, they are different in that they are 2 separate divisions (essentially 2 separate companies inside the same company), and not just separate brand names.

Anyway, it looks like Corn's problem has already been addressed:
Text

Sucks though, 'cause a car never drives smoother except when it's brand new. Missing out on those first silky smooth miles right after break-in would really piss me off.

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
My dad's new Acura TL kicks ASS! I don't know WTF is wrong with your tires but my dad's tires are silky smooth!