Remind me again: Was Obama just elected or Hillary?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Is this what was meant by change?

The first two appointments go to Clinton-era staff and it looks like some more are going to get the nod. Maybe this is Obama's way of thanking Bill for campaigning. If so, I can't wait to see what he does to thank the unions, lawyers and envirowackos. At the end I guess the saying is true "the more things change, the more they stay the same."

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Originally posted by: deftron
According to the Newsweek "behind the scenes" story

He really didn't like Bill Clinton

That's the main reason Hillary wasn't picked VP

So, I doubt Bill has much influence over the cabinet appointments
Exactly, it's a stupid assumption that Bill was why these people were picked.

I honestly don't think that was the reason at all. I'm just wondering why he would step back to another era to make his choices. Why isn't there fresh blood being installed.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
He needs people with experience. He has none himself. It's a smart move and I applaud him for understanding his shortcomings.

If you want to hit the ground running on Jan 21, you need to have people in place that understand the system and know how to get things done. I would assume that he feels that there is no time for a learning curve. That our problems are too great to implement an on the job training program.

Hopefully the Bush staff won't be childish like the Clinton staff and do things like remove keys from keyboards.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: CPA

I honestly don't think that was the reason at all. I'm just wondering why he would step back to another era to make his choices. Why isn't there fresh blood being installed.

I don't think this should be too surprising. I recall reading that he had a few Clinton administration advisors. Given the contrast in the economies and well-being of the country between the Clinton and W. Bush administrations I don't think many people would grudge a few Clintonite appointments.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I think that it is only natural that an incoming president have former administration officials in their circle. Shrub's entire team was made up of Nixon/Reagan/Poppy staffers save Gonzo and Turdblossom.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

That could mean populating the cabinet with what basically amounts to n00bs, from C&C down, excepting V.P. With the hole we are in, that is a very risky proposition. No, choosing qualified, experienced, personnel, is a wiser strategy, than n00bs or say, rewarding your loyal followers aka cronyism.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Is this what was meant by change?

The first two appointments go to Clinton-era staff and it looks like some more are going to get the nod. Maybe this is Obama's way of thanking Bill for campaigning. If so, I can't wait to see what he does to thank the unions, lawyers and envirowackos. At the end I guess the saying is true "the more things change, the more they stay the same."

Bill picked some of the best people. Obama will pick people he feels are the best, regardless of who they worked for.

Only people who never voted for him and hope he fails are worried about this. His supporters never expected him to bring in a team full of rookies.

Net

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2003
obama was, and from what i hear he promised to lower the price on fried chicken? is that true?

i'm just wonder what his stand on cool-aid is.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: net

obama was, and from what i hear he promised to lower the price on fried chicken? is that true?

man. i love some fried chicken. this would only increase the obesity problem in the US though :(

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: evident
i hope he picks some R's so they can STFU
I hear he already tried to get Lugar, but he declined. :(

Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: Skitzer
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton?

Appears that it's going to be John Kerry for Secretary of State.
Well, that may not be a bad pick. He was the a-hole saying France and most of the world leaders he had spoken to, wanted him to be pres last election. :;)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
if he wants people with experience, what other democratic administration does he have to nab people from?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

god help us all.
rose.gif

but at least it's not that cowering douchebag Richardson.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: net

i'm just wonder what his stand on cool-aid is.

your point?
Other than to dribble nonsense...

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001

http://www.newsweek.com/id/167617

Howard Fineman explains it:

Clintonistas For the Clintons, losing to Obama was bad enough. Now they have to endure the spectacle of Obama's surrounding himself with the best and the brightest of the Clinton administration. It's not surprising: these are the Democrats with the most experience and, if Obama chooses carefully, the best performance record. Through his son Jamie, former Treasury secretary (and current Citibank chairman) Bob Rubin is in this new circle. So is another former Clinton Treasury secretary, Larry Summers, who could be asked to go another round. John Podesta, a former Clinton chief of staff, runs a think tank that may supply a host of midlevel officials. Laura Tyson, who was Clinton's economic adviser, is now performing a similar function. Since he was running against Senator Clinton, Obama was reluctant to credit her husband's economic track record; now Obama is seeking the advice of the people responsible for it.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
Originally posted by: evident
i hope he picks some R's so they can STFU
I hear he already tried to get Lugar, but he declined. :(

Well, that may not be a bad pick. He was the a-hole saying France and most of the world leaders he had spoken to, wanted him to be pres last election. :;)

Lugar was never offered the job...
If I am wrong point me to a link please......thx

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

Lugar was never offered the job...
If I am wrong point me to a link please......thx
After a quick look, it seems you are right, my bad. It was speculation because of all the mentions of him during the debates. He then said he wouldn't take the job if offered it, which of course isn't the same as Obama actually offering it.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
That could mean populating the cabinet with what basically amounts to n00bs, from C&C down, excepting V.P. With the hole we are in, that is a very risky proposition. No, choosing qualified, experienced, personnel, is a wiser strategy, than n00bs or say, rewarding your loyal followers aka cronyism.
It's not too risky to have a complete noob as the actual president, but we're in too great of a hole for him to bring in any fresh meat to tell him what to do? What flavor was the Kool-Aid this year? WTF people? Do you even realize what you just said?

edit: fixed quote