Remembering why I dislike Nvidia, moved from AMD to Nvidia under Windows 8

ericgandt

Sep 25, 2011
First off I use to use Nvidia all the time, then I moved to ATI and followed them to AMD, while not always the fastest I always had good luck with them, now I found I needed CDUA so I bought an Nvidia 680 to replace my aging AMD 5750 (its over kill, but was a good price). Thus I:
1. Uninstalled AMD drivers, shutdown
2. Removed 5750
3. Installed new Nvidia 680
4. Rebooted
All went well, system found the card installed default drivers worked great (so we know the card/Windows are fine).
5. Downloaded the latest 310.90 drivers, and installed them (again all was fine no errors or issues), Nvidia installer removed the Windows version, and installed Nvidia drivers without issue, then asked to reboot, did so as requested.

Here is when Nvidia reminded me as to why I disliked them and moved to ATi/AMD, system boots up (System is Windows 8 Professional) and then gives me a black screen after say 5 minutes I get a mouse against a black background (so we know Video drivers are loaded), after another 5 it blinks as if changing resolution (might be trying to suspend screens would be the correct amount of time), then after another 5 it does it again, sadly after 5 reboots and 3 failed safe mode attempts (thanks Microsoft for that), I left it for 30 minutes, no change, so now I'm stuck, great big unusable system.
My options seem to be reinstall Windows (that is about 10 hours or 2 to 3 days to finish correctly lots of junk to configure and I loss my free Media Center :-( ), remove the 680 series card replace with the 5750 and try again (seems like a waste of time), or what, thats the problem, Windows/Nvidia is giving me few other options?

All of this made me remember why I moved to ATI/AMD and never looked back since I've not had any problems in the Windows Vista+ era moving from Nvidia to AMD, but the other way always sucks.

ERIC

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
There are stories like this for both AMD and Nvidia. As far back as I can remember, whenever I removed an AMD card to install an Nvidia card, I almost always had a problem. There were usually lingering dll's from the AMD drivers or CCC. Try driver sweeper or Driver Cleaner in safe mode and start again.

ericgandt

Sep 25, 2011
I understood this in the XP world, but in Windows 7/8 you can have both drivers installed at the same time, not a good idea, but possible, I've done it before.
Second issue paying to clean up that is a little crazy as well ,and no idea if there is even support for Windows 8, they don't say :(

ERIC

ericgandt

Sep 25, 2011
4 weeks old, better to restore an Backup as that is under a week :). Still whats to stop the driver from doing it again, since it is obviously Nvidia's driver that is at fault.
Anyways gave up and trying a restore now, life sucks; except when you have backups (almost as good as an extra life).

ERIC

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
This is NOT typical card behavior from either brand, lol. You are just as likely to encounter goofy behavior from either AMD or Nvidia on any OS and in just as equal measure. How many other card users have you encountered with a similar problem? Why have I not encountered your problem? In fact, in the last 6-8 years of using mostly Nvidia cards, I have have never encountered anything of the sort, but rather an overall positive experience with regard to OS driver compatibility and proper functioning. Anyways, I thank you for the nice laugh you have given me this evening. Cheers. :sneaky:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
4 weeks old, better to restore an Backup as that is under a week :). Still whats to stop the driver from doing it again, since it is obviously Nvidia's driver that is at fault.
Anyways gave up and trying a restore now, life sucks; except when you have backups (almost as good as an extra life).

ERIC

It's anything BUT obvious. Every system is different. Like another has said, this is not typical behavior for either vendor under windows 8 or any other OS.

ericgandt

Sep 25, 2011
Beat it, as I said both cards work at the same time, restored then booted up with the Nvidia and AMD present, allowed both drivers to be installed, switched outputs to Nvidia, rebooted came up. Then removed AMD and rebooted and it worked. Kind of odd, but what works works.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
my AMD 7850 has similar problem: if monitor goes to sleep, on wake up i get black screen and cursor. doing lock ( Win + L) fixes it.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Beat it, as I said both cards work at the same time, restored then booted up with the Nvidia and AMD present, allowed both drivers to be installed, switched outputs to Nvidia, rebooted came up. Then removed AMD and rebooted and it worked. Kind of odd, but what works works.

Did you just tell me to beat it? LOL. And welcome to AT. You'll fit right in.

Firestorm007

Dec 9, 2010
Did you just tell me to beat it? LOL. And welcome to AT. You'll fit right in.

Ok. Now that was funny...Kudos to a good sense of humor. But, seriously OP, maybe a clean install of windows would do it. I had a problem with the latest 12.10 set of AMD drivers on my son's PC. I wanted to upgrade to the newest beta's, but those SOB drivers wouldn't install; and wouldn't ya know, I couldn't install anything after that. I had to reformat windows. Also, For the record, I'll admit that I prefer AMD, but I've never once had a problem uninstalling Nvidia drivers. They've always uninstalled and installed without a hitch. AMD, on the other hand, have been a real PITA on many other occasions. Nevertheless, Like others have said, it may be your particular config.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I never understood why someone liked one brand over another based on a simple issue cropping up.

The problem sounds like a Win 8 issue than anything, why peopel got win 8 is beyond me. pointless.

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
First off I use to use Nvidia all the time, then I moved to ATI and followed them to AMD, while not always the fastest I always had good luck with them, now I found I needed CDUA so I bought an Nvidia 680 to replace my aging AMD 5750 (its over kill, but was a good price). Thus I:
1. Uninstalled AMD drivers, shutdown
2. Removed 5750
3. Installed new Nvidia 680
4. Rebooted
All went well, system found the card installed default drivers worked great (so we know the card/Windows are fine).
5. Downloaded the latest 310.90 drivers, and installed them (again all was fine no errors or issues), Nvidia installer removed the Windows version, and installed Nvidia drivers without issue, then asked to reboot, did so as requested.

Here is when Nvidia reminded me as to why I disliked them and moved to ATi/AMD, system boots up (System is Windows 8 Professional) and then gives me a black screen after say 5 minutes I get a mouse against a black background (so we know Video drivers are loaded), after another 5 it blinks as if changing resolution (might be trying to suspend screens would be the correct amount of time), then after another 5 it does it again, sadly after 5 reboots and 3 failed safe mode attempts (thanks Microsoft for that), I left it for 30 minutes, no change, so now I'm stuck, great big unusable system.
My options seem to be reinstall Windows (that is about 10 hours or 2 to 3 days to finish correctly lots of junk to configure and I loss my free Media Center :-( ), remove the 680 series card replace with the 5750 and try again (seems like a waste of time), or what, thats the problem, Windows/Nvidia is giving me few other options?

All of this made me remember why I moved to ATI/AMD and never looked back since I've not had any problems in the Windows Vista+ era moving from Nvidia to AMD, but the other way always sucks.

ERIC

This happened to me as well when I went from a 4890 to a 670, it's a pretty simple fix.

1)Repair Windows 8 (Boot from the Install CD)
2)After windows loads for the first time, reboot.
3)After Reboot, load nVidia Drivers
4)Reboot
5)Everything should be fine

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I have an issue where every once in a while on boot the fans on the GPU are sent to 100% on my 470. A reboot is required to fix it.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
no problems wahtsoever when I switched from AMD 6850 to nvidia GTX670 (except for a faulty card)