Remember when thread

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Remember when HP launched the HP Touchpad tablet with WebOS and then promptly discontinued WebOS developed 2 months later and dropped the price of the touchpads to $99? People were going nuts trying to get their hands on what was originally a $400 tablet.
Loved my touchpad that got cyonigen mod android.
WebOS is now in LG tvs.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Remember when HP launched the HP Touchpad tablet with WebOS and then promptly discontinued WebOS developed 2 months later and dropped the price of the touchpads to $99? People were going nuts trying to get their hands on what was originally a $400 tablet.

Yep, still have mine. Loaded it up with Cyanogenmod and used it for years.

I remember a few of my co-workers went crazy over it, spent days calling all the locals stores seeing if they had any stock. One day, two of them raced each other down to Staples because there was one in stock, but (un)fortunately, it was a display model and half broken.

Those were good times.

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
the games were the best back then though!

and upgrading and tweaking was fun as all get out, provided you had the cash

(or were willing to rent yourself out for GPU money lol)

man i start thinking about all the games back then and it makes me want to play some of them again!

even if it takes me a day or two to tweak my autoexec.bat and config.sys to get mscdex and the sound blaster drivers to load while still having 625KB of conventional memory free - that was a game in itself!

simcity 2000
civilization 2
betrayal at krondor
red baron
lhx attack chopper
yserbius and twinion
age of empires and age of kings
asheron's call
the incredible machine
king's quest V and VI
doom
quake
half life
tribes
unreal

What, no Mechwarrior I, II or III?! MW3 was one of the greatest games, second only to Civilization III.

If you really want to go back to the late 1980s DOS/C64 Games I loved 1989's Wall $treet Raider (which I play to this day!) and Geopolitique 1990 by SSI.

1695083191566.png

Geopolitque 1990 (released in 1984) was a turn based text simulation where you tried to dominate the world politically, militarily or both (sound familiar?). You wrote down your information using a pencil on the scratch pad after each turn. One line in particular I liked from the game was if you did something that might be provocative to the USSR, they would either escalate to the point of war or simply (coyly) say, "The Soviet Union Disclaims Interest".

Last edited:
Reactions: Roger Wilco

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
"who is this? New phone."
—everyone in the early 2000s before contacts were synced in the cloud

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenixgoon

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
"who is this? New phone."
—everyone in the early 2000s before contacts were synced in the cloud
I only recently heard about that. I thought it was about when you get a new phone number and somebody calls it expecting the previous owner of the phone number.