Remember when the President said he’d eliminate the National Debt?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
In all seriousness, at what national debt does our country just fall apart?
I keep hearing it does bad things like lower the value of American money, but people were saying that way back when we had one trillion in debt and that it wouldnt take much more to ruin the whole system.
So when and how is it going to happen?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I keep hearing it does bad things like lower the value of American money, but people were saying that way back when we had one trillion in debt and that it wouldnt take much more to ruin the whole system.

There is no magic number. Our ability to pay is tied to revenues, economic growth, etc.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

The problem with the debt is that it rolls over into new debt continuously & that interest paid is a function of the free market. If the obligation to pay isn't honored in a timely fashion or seems shaky, the rate goes up. This whole debt ceiling limit & shutdown is highly contrived & unnecessary, a threat to the full faith & credit of our govt. It's been a way for the GOP to hold the govt hostage to their whims. Now Trump does the same.

The GOP putting the govt in deeper debt all the time is intended to bend democracy to the will of the financial elite.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I agree the President and Congress should put more effort into reducing the National Debt. A lot more.

They should also cut back on foreign aid which would be a good place to start. I wouldn't be opposed to a tax increase either. Our national debt is out of control and the politicians don't give a shit. None of them do.

And before someone brings up the wall request of 5 billion dollars. That is a drop in the bucket. Esp when we spend ~ 49 billion on foreign aid.

lol that you think this ~$100 billion dollar phantom wall will actually cost $5 billion. Do you actually think that? Besides, Mexico is paying for it. That was the promise. Why are you now demanding that we pay for it? Fuck off with your shit. I am not paying for your phantom terrors.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
As Fanatical Meat stated we have too much foreign aid and it needs to be cut back significantly, IMO. It creates dependent nations.

It has nothing to do with FYGM. It has to do more with people need to stand on their own two feet thing.

Ah, so you just want to give them even MORE reason to GTFO out of their country and into ours, so that you can just hate them more.

Got it.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
lol that you think this ~$100 billion dollar phantom wall will actually cost $5 billion. Do you actually think that? Besides, Mexico is paying for it. That was the promise. Why are you now demanding that we pay for it? Fuck off with your shit. I am not paying for your phantom terrors.

You may not get a choice... I may not either.

I'm not "demanding" anything.
Quit paying your taxes and see how well that works out for you.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Ah, so you just want to give them even MORE reason to GTFO out of their country and into ours, so that you can just hate them more.

Got it.

I don't hate any of them. Why should we have to pay them to stay at home. I don't believe we should allow them to demand payment or they will over run our border.

Feb 4, 2009

Got it.

Feels weird defending PC but here’s what I meant and let’s keep it simple.

*chart is a few years old*

4IQ9bk9.jpg

Does Israel really need that much? How many other problems are being caused with that level of aid?
How much of the aid money in the next three countries actually going toward something or is the overwhelming majority being eaten up by grift/theft.
What would change if the top four countries took a 20% reduction or even better had written goals to achieve with what the money is provided for

Let’s pretend $1.6 Billion was cut from the top 4 on the list. What would change in the world?
What would change if PCGeek got $800 million to put toward the wall or border security or whatever pet project he wants and $800 million was spent toward education debt forgiveness or something one of us would want to see.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I don't hate any of them. Why should we have to pay them to stay at home. I don't believe we should allow them to demand payment or they will over run our border.

The people south of our border aren't demanding payment. That's ridiculous. It's self evident that it is in our interest to promote greater peace & prosperity for them, however. They need better reasons to stay home.

Over run our border? You really fell for the fearmongering, huh?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
The boob still conflates trade deficits or surpluses with revenue for the Treasury. Where does he get these ideas from. God what a moron we have in office.

It's so unbelievable wrong and illogical I have trouble imagining how someone could be this badly misinformed.

20180920_161542.jpg

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The people south of our border aren't demanding payment. That's ridiculous. It's self evident that it is in our interest to promote greater peace & prosperity for them, however. They need better reasons to stay home.

Over run our border? You really fell for the fearmongering, huh?

Sneaking in, over running, illegal entry, ... Whatever you want to call it.

We should cut back all foreign aid including and esp Israel.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
In 2136 when the Debt is paid off, a small group of MAGA fans will plaster the HyperNET with the lone message, "Winning". Everyone else will be mildly confused by it, but after a second will move on.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
In 2136 when the Debt is paid off, a small group of MAGA fans will plaster the HyperNET with the lone message, "Winning". Everyone else will be mildly confused by it, but after a second will move on.

That is a sanguine timeline projection.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Got it.

I think it is literally beyond the comprehension (or even imagination) of many people in the US what the situation in places like the Northern Triangle actually looks like let alone the idea that we are directly responsible for much of it.