Remember the guy that got anal probed in New Mexico like 3 different times?

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
It looks like he is making bank $$$$$ Ching! Ching! He just got a 1.6 million dollar settlement from the PD. Now he is charging forward against the hospital and I surmise he will make much more money off of the hospital.

Link to News Article

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Good for him.

Sucks for the citizens of the city of Deming and Hidalgo County, though.

Too bad the officers aren't personally liable...

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
The fact that the hospital had sent him the bill for the ordeal was just over the top.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
They voted for their officials, they should live with the consequences.
Have the cops even been fired?

No I don't think they were fired, in fact wasn't there an article about them doing this to some woman who is also suing them?

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
They voted for their officials, they should live with the consequences.
Have the cops even been fired?

I don't know about where you live, but I don't get to elect individual police officers or sheriff's deputies.

Also, you're ignoring the people who voted against these officials.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
I don't know about where you live, but I don't get to elect individual police officers or sheriff's deputies.

Yea I think Sheriffs and Deputies are appointed by the local mayor or elected officials right? I don't think people get much say in it, but I could be wrong.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Ultimately, the local government answers to the voters.
They elect the local government, which then hires the officers. The local government should be aware of what legal exposure the cops are exposing them to, and make sure to set appropriate policies to limit this exposure, and fire/discipline cops who violate those policies. If there was a long standing policy of doing these anal probes, and the local government didn't know or care, well then the voters elected the wrong people to the local government. Too bad, so sad, that will be $1.6M.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
It looks like he is making bank $$$$$ Ching! Ching! He just got a 1.6 million dollar settlement from the PD. Now he is charging forward against the hospital and I surmise he will make much more money off of the hospital.

He deserves every penny he gets. Good for him.

The police liability insurance will probably go up, which will help curb such behavior.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Too bad the officers aren't personally liable...

I imagine the local news media and tax payers are having a field day.

If the police are sued enough the liability insurance company will drop their policy. It is no different than if you get in too many wrecks or have too many insurance claims.

When the liability coverage is dropped the police department will be labeled high risk, which will make other providers charge more money.

When the tax payers get news that their rates are going up to cover high liability insurance because of stupid cops, something will have to give.

Feb 4, 2009
I can't wait to see the Hospital verdict. Keep in mind one Hospital previously said no this is not a needed action and we already know the outcome. Then this Hospital decided to take it. Sending a bill is even worse (I wonder if that part is true?)

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I can't wait to see the Hospital verdict. Keep in mind one Hospital previously said no this is not a needed action and we already know the outcome. Then this Hospital decided to take it. Sending a bill is even worse (I wonder if that part is true?)

Yep.

The icing on the cake in this story is that the cops had already tried the closest hospital, and the director basically said "hell no, this isn't ethical. The man doesn't consent. We won't touch him".

Then the other hospital, IN ANOTHER COUNTY, says "its perfectly ok."

The hospital basically took unethical orders from a police department that had no jurisdiction. If this doesn't show a total lack of good judgement, I don't know what does.

The hospital has ZERO defense. They might as well settle out of court because any jury/court is going to let the hospital take it up the ass.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Hospital is going to settle. Their insurer is probably negotiating the terms of surrender.
They take it to court, it will cost them more in legal fees, and they'll still lose.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Really, drug dog efficacy is certainly in question right now. Drug dogs aren't really reliable at all. They are nothing more than a excuse that allows cops the ability to get around the 4th amendment. Just like recent findings of FBI and police "forensic" pseudo-science crap being used to put people behind bars.

National standards of police investigation need to be set IMHO, based off actual scientific vetted processes when it comes to this shit.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Really, drug dog efficacy is certainly in question right now. Drug dogs aren't really reliable at all. They are nothing more than a excuse that allows cops the ability to get around the 4th amendment. Just like recent findings of FBI and police "forensic" pseudo-science crap being used to put people behind bars.

National standards of police investigation need to be set IMHO, based off actual scientific vetted processes when it comes to this shit.

Agreed, I remember reading about police dogs being trained to give false flags. It is very easy for an officer to signal to a dog to put his paw somewhere and make appear like it is alerting the officer when it really is only following a command to jump up or place a paw somewhere.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Agreed, I remember reading about police dogs being trained to give false flags. It is very easy for an officer to signal to a dog to put his paw somewhere and make appear like it is alerting the officer when it really is only following a command to jump up or place a paw somewhere.

I think he is also referring to hair analysis which has been proven to be a flawed forensic technique but is still being widely used even by the FBI even while the FBI is going through 15 years of cases where it relied on said method to identify a suspect.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I think he is also referring to hair analysis which has been proven to be a flawed forensic technique but is still being widely used even by the FBI even while the FBI is going through 15 years of cases where it relied on said method to identify a suspect.

Both.

There are many police "techniques" that are really just con-artist crap that allow them to get what they want around the law.

There have been recent studies about how well drug dogs actually do in finding drugs. The studies all end in that the dog follows whatever queues are given to it by the owner that make the owner happy.

But there are many things, like hair analysis, gun ballistics, and other bull crap that has been used for decades by police to get convictions.

Feb 4, 2009

You don't even have to train them, its up to the handler to decide what the dog is telling them. The handler could simply think the dog is telling him/her something.

Feb 4, 2009
The Hospital should have recorded their first call to the Lawyer. I'd pay to hear that conversation:
Hospital "We're being sued" "oh no's!"
Hospital Lawyer "this should be easy, some addict challenging you"
Hospital "yes we probed his ass because a cop asked us to"
Lawyer "How many times and who asked you"
Comedy ensues

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
You don't even have to train them, its up to the handler to decide what the dog is telling them. The handler could simply think the dog is telling him/her something.

Cop - "Sir, you're going to have a to come with us for a cavity search on suspicion of narcotics. The dog gave a positive indication..."

Citizen - "What positive indication? The dog didn't do anything except sniff around a little."

Cop - "He's trained to wink at me when he detects illicit substances."

Citizen - "Wink at you?!?! WTH??!?! His nose was in the cab, and you were standing directly behind!!!"

Cop - "I didn't say 'with his eye'" :D