Remember the famous AC-130 Gunship footage? This one ain't for the squeamish either

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
What a slow as server..... I'll have it mirrored on my site shortly.... my hosts are amazing...

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Originally posted by: Daaavo
Has anyone been able to make odds or ends of what is on that video? I mean, obviously it's three guys being killed, but what the hell are they doing? What the the hell is the rata-tat-tat right at the beginning? What was the second guy killed doing? It looks like he's trying to unwrap something. Was there been any commentary on what the video consists of?

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/US/apache_video_040109-1.html

read.

the real media file is longer:p

couldnt get the file from here.

but wow. those poor saps didnt have a chance. the one trying to hide under the truck had the best chance. looked like he fell out of it or something.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
where do people get videos like that?

My father was an Army aviator for 22 years. While he did not serve in the first Gulf War, he had friends who did. After the war, a few of his Apache pilot friends sent back gun camera footage. This was 1991, pre-Internet for us. I can understand how vids like this get to people, and once digitized and uploaded, get spread on the Net.

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
:Q

Well, look on the bright side. They didn't suffer. Getting hit with a dozen 30mm rounds will pretty much make you explode into pieces.

Well, that wounded guy suffered a little bit. They put him out of his misery though.

Still, I gotta go :Q again.

Remind me not to be on the receiving end of 30mm shells during my lifetime.

bbrontosaurus

Oct 25, 2002
I thought I heard Apache gunfire in the begining of the video, as the man was walking to go have the "pow-wow".....but I didn't see anything explode. Was there gunfire?

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
Originally posted by: bbrontosaurus
I thought I heard Apache gunfire in the begining of the video, as the man was walking to go have the "pow-wow".....but I didn't see anything explode. Was there gunfire?

After that gunfire sound, the pilot says something about the laser rangefinder. The first volley might have gone wide of the target.

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oh MAN!!! BARF!!! That one guy walking between the tractor and the trucks got chewed up!!! Man you can't even make out that it was a person afterward!!! WooHoo!!! Sucks to be Anti-American!!!

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Ime
After that gunfire sound, the pilot says something about the laser rangefinder. The first volley might have gone wide of the target.

Yep, they were having issues with the automatic rangefinder. Listen closely and you hear him yell "Fvck!" :D

Originally posted by: Mookow
I love how at the end of the article they say that the 30mm is the smallest weapon the Apache carries. Because I can just see some hippie complaining about it... and then next time the Apache pilot attempts to use a Hellfire as an antipersonnel weapon.

Hey, I said that in the other thread. ;) And a Hellfire is an AA weapon, so that's a little overdoing it. Ripping off half a Hydra-70 M255E1 FFAR missile pack would suffice. (That's the AP flavour of Hydras, containing over 1000 60gr flechettes per warhead.)

- M4H

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

Yep, they were having issues with the automatic rangefinder. Listen closely and you hear him yell "Fvck!" :D

I love how at the end of the article they say that the 30mm is the smallest weapon the Apache carries. Because I can just see some hippie complaining about it... and then next time the Apache pilot attempts to use a Hellfire as an antipersonnel weapon.

Hey, I said that in the other thread. ;) And a Hellfire is an AA weapon, so that's a little overdoing it. Ripping off half a Hydra-70 M255E1 FFAR missile pack would suffice. (That's the AP flavour of Hydras, containing over 1000 60gr flechettes per warhead.)

- M4H
How the hell do you know so much about everything? :confused:

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Antoneo

- M4H
He plays the tin soldier.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Antoneo

- M4H

Not everything - just stuff that goes boom.

Who wants a homemade flashbang? :D

- M4H

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
When he rolls out from under the truck, one of the pilots says, "He's wounded."The other pilot says, "Hit him," and the Apache opens fire again, killing the man.

its a good thing the Iraqi's did not treat that wounded soldier "Jessica" this way.

I guess they could justify that it was more humane to kill him than leave him to bleed to death.

It sure sucks to be supected insurgents in Iraq at this time.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: AnMig
When he rolls out from under the truck, one of the pilots says, "He's wounded."The other pilot says, "Hit him," and the Apache opens fire again, killing the man.

its a good thing the Iraqi's did not treat that wounded soldier "Jessica" this way.

rolleye.gif