remap PS3 buttons to PS2 + SmartJoy layout?

dhalbert

Jun 12, 2005
Summary: can I remap PS3 buttons to correspond to those on a PS2 controller on Windows 7 x64?

We have an older PC educational software game (Lexia Cross-Trainer) that runs on Windows and was designed to use a PS2 controller with a SmartJoy USB adapter.

Either the PS2 controller or the SmartJoy adapter is now broken in such a way that most of the buttons appear stuck in the down position. I can see this in the "Game Controller Settings" control panel in Windows, where you can test the buttons and calibrate the joysticks.

SmartJoy went out of business long ago. So today I bought a $20 GameStop house-brand USB PS3 controller to try. Windows 7 x64 identified it as an "Afterglow" controller and found drivers for it. The game sort of works with it but the buttons the game uses are in confusingly different places on the PS3 controller.

Is there some software remapper that will map the PS3 buttons to the PS2 layout? I did some websearching on this and tried MotionInJoy but it doesn't seem to recognize the controller.

Thanks!