Relocation Expenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
The company I am currently consulting for has offered me a salaried position. I am currently based in Maryland and the company is based in Atlanta (I currently travel for them), but this position would mean relocating to the Atlanta area.

They are a fairly small company and as such don't have any official relocation package. They've asked that I put together a justifiable list of relocation expenses to be approved as part of my offer.

So I've started trying to make a list of things that I'd ask for and I figured I'd see if anyone on ATOT had done anything similar.

1. Housing - I currently own a house in Maryland so I found that the 2010 average days on market for the state (and my area) was 147 days. So I was thinking I'd ask for up to 6 months rent with the option to shorten that period should I sell the house prior to that.

2. Movers - This seems straight forward enough. They'd pay for actual moving costs. I have United and Allied coming Friday to give me estimates. Does anyone know (or have an educated guess on) how much a ~800-900 mile move of a 2 bedroom condo should cost?

3. Storage - My guess is we'd rent something smaller while we sell our house and then start looking for a new place. In the mean time some of our furniture would need to be in storage. Either something like a POD or a local storage space. I figure this wouldn't be more than $100-$200 a month possibly less.

4. Car Transport - We have 2 cars and I'd rather have one shipped rather than make my wife (who doesn't like to drive on unfamiliar roads) follow me for 800+ miles from Maryland to Georgia. I was able to get one quick quote on this at $689.

5. General Expenses - Some lump sum of money to cover gas, food, hotel while I'm making the trip from Maryland to Georgia. Maybe some other little things. I was thinking a few hundred to a thousand dollars?

Am I way off base on any of these or missing anything glaring?

UPDATE: For the record, I have been asked by my supervisor to put together a list of expenses including the ones I've mentioned above.

Last edited:

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
really? people are moving all over the country at no charge for a job. good luck i guess

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
I think you are a bit off base here. By a bit I mean a lot.

Moving costs and gas, that's all they should give.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
If you were to deduct relocation expenses on your tax return, I believe everything you have listed would be deductible except the duration of the temporary housing. The last few times I was offered out of state positions, I was given a set dollar amount allowance that I could use for reimbursing me for any of the relocation costs.

Last edited:

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Just to clarify, most companies offer relocation packages, at least the companies I've worked for or dealt with.

My manager who's the VP of Program Management has directed me to come up with a relocation package to cover movers, rent, etc.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I relocated for my company about 6 yrs ago, they paid all realtor fees associated with selling my home, paid to pack and move all my belongings, 3 months all expenses paid furnished apartment and mileage allowance for 2 return trips for closing etc. For the moving part it was to a single destination, either storage or my new home and that's it, and they wouldn't have paid for the storage had I chosen that option. Generally speaking that's a more realistic expectation, possibly shipping the second car too but more likely just mileage allowance to drive it...

And my relocation distance was similar, ~750 miles.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I would expect ONLY moving costs. I find it highly unlikely they will cover your rent for the duration until you sell your house.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
UPDATE: For the record, I have been asked by my supervisor to put together a list of expenses including the ones I've mentioned above.

Utility deposits at your new home - water, power,,,,, stuff like that.

Cost for new drivers licenses.

Cost to register your car/truck/suv in the new state

Any out of pocket expenses to cover childrens vaccinations for the new school district.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I would expect ONLY moving costs. I find it highly unlikely they will cover your rent for the duration until you sell your house.

I was thinking that the rent instead of asking them to cover closing costs as another posted stated. When I was with GE their policy was to cover closing costs on both ends. Rent for 6 months is probably cheaper.

Good call on the mileage, that is probably easier, then maybe if that's part of a lump sum I can just choose to have it shipped.

gophins72

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2005
OP, call a few moving companies and ask them to give you an estimate. Then give this info to your prospective employer.

edit: never mind, didnt read it all, time to log out for a bit :)

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
OP, call a few moving companies and ask them to give you an estimate. Then give this info to your prospective employer.

edit: never mind, didnt read it all, time to log out for a bit :)

:) Yeah, they are coming Friday. I am trying to get things in order because my wife is a teacher and needs to give notice soon for both professional and personal reasons, but she is holding off until everything is in writing.

I want to be able to hit the send button as soon as I have moving estimates.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
As far as real estate/housing goes, I would ask that my employer buy my current house for a fair price based on comparable homes sold in the area recently. Then they are responsible for putting it on the market and getting it sold. Why should it be your headache?

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
As far as real estate/housing goes, I would ask that my employer buy my current house for a fair price based on comparable homes sold in the area recently. Then they are responsible for putting it on the market and getting it sold. Why should it be your headache?

I know of some companies that used to do that, but given the market I doubt they would go for it especially considering it's a smaller company. Might not hurt to ask though.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
I know of some companies that used to do that, but given the market I doubt they would go for it especially considering it's a smaller company. Might not hurt to ask though.

If you don't sell it for a price that's acceptable to you before you move, then you're taking some (possible significant) risk in the move. Like you said, given the market you doubt your employer would go for it...but if they don't go for you, then the shitty real estate market is now something that is your problem. Just make sure you're taking that into account when you negotiate the deal with your employer.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
If you don't sell it for a price that's acceptable to you before you move, then you're taking some (possible significant) risk in the move. Like you said, given the market you doubt your employer would go for it...but if they don't go for you, then the shitty real estate market is now something that is your problem. Just make sure you're taking that into account when you negotiate the deal with your employer.

Absolutely true. For now the market where we are (DC suburbs) hasn't seen the kind of hit that other areas around the country have. Hopefully we'll make it out with a little bit of cash in our pockets. I also figure we could rent if worst comes to worst.

CrazyAznDriver

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2010
My wife just got a flat 15k the last move. We should have pushed harder for more, like a relocation company buying our house, etc. but we were young and naive.

Status
Not open for further replies.