Religion - the greatest killer of all

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FluxyLady

Aug 29, 2003
Originally posted by: burnedout
As much as I hate to cite Nietzsche, I think he outlined the power of religion best in Beyond Good and Evil. He argues that men are drawn to religion for a power they would not have otherwise; how can men/groups without a standing army usurp power from those who do? One could by making themselves a self-proclaimed intermediary between man and god; the interdependency creates a bond no standing army can break...and thus a man who possesses no standing army possesses a power that rivals a standing army. Men of the cloth, he argues, use religion to ascertain power.

In my opinion, Nietzsche was awesome in many respects as well as a very insightful writer/philosopher. "Die fröhliche Wissenschaft" is an especially good read. His argument on "men of the cloth" seems quite plausable given what has happened over the course of history. What continues happening further reinforces his argument.

Yes, unfortunately, considerable evil has resulted under the guise of otherwise "good" intentions.

kind of ironic that a guy with considerable skill in philosophical thought could turn out to be a nazi symphathizer.

Gen Stonewall

Aug 8, 2001
In the Bible, the Israelites were Ordered - by Yahweh (that's Jesus' Dad) - to EXTERMINATE their (non-beliving) neighbors - Man, Woman and Child - . .. the Jews of today seem to be right in line with their bloodthirsty religion from the beginning 'till now. Their RELIGION is at fault.

What on Earth are you talking about? :confused:

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Stonewall
In the Bible, the Israelites were Ordered - by Yahweh (that's Jesus' Dad) - to EXTERMINATE their (non-beliving) neighbors - Man, Woman and Child - . .. the Jews of today seem to be right in line with their bloodthirsty religion from the beginning 'till now. Their RELIGION is at fault.

i am curious to hear this as well--the jews have been on the sharp side of the sword for most of history.

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001
So, like I said, if you can't prove to me there is a God, then CLEARLY there might not be one.
You can't prove otherwise......
If there definitely was one, you would be able to prove it to me and everyone else. Do you see what I'm saying?
God doesn't need to be proved,God exists to be believed.
If you KNOW that there is a God, then you have got to be able to prove it to me. If you cannot prove it to me, then you HAVE to accept the possibility that there might not be a God. Otherwise, you're just kidding yourself.
Why do I have to prove it to *you*. There are a lot of other people out there. The thing is though that God can't be proved by concrete scientific methods, you can either believe in God or not believe in God. It's your choice. Another thing to note is that the Internet (forums escpecially) is a very poor media for proving things.
And I don't want to hear the word faith because faith is the lie that keeps on lying.
I don't think so

- "Why do you believe in God?"
Because God gives me freedom to do so and it seems to be better than believing that there isn't.
- "How do you know the bible is real and not just an incredibly popular work of fiction?"
Depending on which way you look at it, it is the most popular book of fiction.Some books of the Christian bible are just poems and such so they probably won't be real, but others are based on real life so make your own call. I believe that the bible is true because it is the "handbook"/"user manual" for my religion. If you know how to use it, a bible can be a source of great wisdom. If you don't well it has some pretty neat stories in there.
- "Faith based on what? The bible?"
Faith is the evidence of things hoped for yet not seen. I can see and touch my bible so I don't think that qualifies. Faith based on God.
- "So if I read any other book that claimed to contain the 'true' story of who God was and what he wanted and it said that it was inspired by God, I would be in no way wrong if I believed it on its own word, right?"
Of course not, it's your choice.
- "But it says that the bible isn't true. How does the bible have more validity than this book? It claims to have true stories about Jesus just like the bible."
I just told you, dude, it's your choice!
- "Why can't I say the same thing?"
Go ahead and say it, but I've *already* made my choice and you've made yours. Nice talking to you, adios.

Do you see how faith is just another way of saying, "I believe what I believe because I believe it"?
Yep, and you can do the same.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Spyro
Why do I have to prove it to *you*. There are a lot of other people out there. The thing is though that God can't be proved by concrete scientific methods, you can either believe in God or not believe in God. It's your choice. Another thing to note is that the Internet (forums escpecially) is a very poor media for proving things.
So, after all that, do you or do you not accept the possibility that there might not be a god?

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
I rest my case...
rolleye.gif

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
Look, people go to war over religion, because it's a convenient excuse. You don't go to war because you want to conquer and enrich yourself on foreign countries, it just sounds bad, but if you said that god told you to do it, it sounds better.

The thing is that you have to remember that 75% of all religion is bull****. It's the truth. Gullible people are always finding ways to give their money to criminals. It's overblown, full of lies and deceit. People follow it because it makes them feel good and they don't have to think much about it.

But if you think that ALL religious activity is only about GOD and such, you are mistaken. There are LOTS of activity that people engage in everyday that is 100% religious but they don't realize it because it is not, because the practitioners of this religion do not consider it a religion and nobody in the media tells them it's a religion.

Think about it....

The science of evolution is one good example of a religious belief that a great many people accept on face value. To them it's a proven fact and no amount of discussion is going to dissuade their belief of it. Right now I bet that people will react this statement in a similar fashion to a person from a snake-handler cult from the deep south would react to a Catholic priest telling them that when the bible was talking about the serpents and poisons they were really talking about spiritual poisons and the snake represents demons and the devil, not actual physical snakes and cyanide.

No amount of evidence to the contrary is going to scare them off. Hundreds of artifacts are found that invalidate the commonly held views. The Neanderthals that were found in the early part of the last century were later proven to be in fact normal humans that had distorted bone stuctures due to advanced states of malnourished-nourishment and vitamin depletion. The were a isolated family that all had rickets, but non the less people still talk about neanderthals were a actual subspecies of people and not the results of isolation, malnourishment and inbreeding.

Another piece of evidence is foot prints found in ancient volcanic ash sediment that exactly match the canter, size and shape of modern human footprints. These have been carbon dated to about the same time in ancient history that our ancestors in the famous time lines of the human evolution are depicted to be small cat-like lemurs.

However if you ask a average ?non-religious? person about evolution he will be reciting things he/she remembers from science class or Nova that have been proven wrong or misleading since the 70's. Pict man, Nebraska man and many other fragments of skulls have been proven to be from con artist or just mistaken or misplaced fossils from other animals, however you can still find books that reference these creatures.

Or how about entire skeletons and skulls created from a leg bone that could be considered a fossil.

I am not saying that evolution is a mistake or that people who believe in it are false or anything. It's a interesting possibility and worth real scientific discussion and research, but from what people talk about it sometimes is as factual scientific proof as real as the grass is green and the sun is bright.

Another belief people hold that is religious in nature is atheism. It's easy and comfortable to think that just because you deny something or can't sense something with your senses that it must not exist.

I can see god, or witness god. People pray to god, but bad things still happen to them. Evolution is a indisputable fact and the earth is millions of years old and I don't think people like Christians are capable of understanding that. So if god doesn't exist because it is a fact and Christians aren't capable of believing that the scientific method is perfect and indisputable that they are fools.

That way you feel very smart and have people that are less then you because they believe in things that you believe are patently false. It makes you feel good and gives you hope that science, technology and governmental forces can solve problems for you. This is because that science is ever increasing the knowledge of mankind and in time can solve all of mankind's major problems.\

Just don't forget folks; It takes as much belief to believe that god does not exist as it is to believe that he does.

As far as religions go in a traditional sense, most of those are bull*** to. Hardcore atheists are not the only ones that have a firm grip on ignorance.

Lots of priests don't believe in god or anything. Being a priest to them is a easy job and nobody is going to realize the little scams you pull to make money on the side. Lots of people in the middle east use religion to pull the wool over people's eyes and create laws and excuses to keep themselves in power.

There were times in catholic history were corruption took over the church turning it into a money making political machine.

So what? This doesn't mean that god exists or doesn't exist any more then a con-artist/unemployed scientist that takes a gorilla skull and a modified pig jaw and convinces the scientific community for 15 years that is the ?missing link? proves or disproves evolution.

Have half a brain for Christ's sake. People tell others every day that the bible is full of it and such and such, but are so ignorant that they actually think that it says that Adam and Eve ate a apple in the garden of eden. It never said anything of the sort. Look it up.

Or they think that it says that the earth is only 6000 or so years old, when it says nothing of the sort. In Hebrew there are 3 different words that get translated to into ?world? in the bible. They are the world as in a epoch, a special measure of time.. Like the world or the roman empire, or the modern world.

Next there are world in the sense of the planet. Like the around the world in eighty days.

Last are world is a state of physical/spiritual/mental being, or different dimensions. The spiritual world for example.

In the beginning god created this world. This is 6000 years is actually the second ?world?. It actually has stories referencing back to the ?first earth age?. And the third earth age is coming after the time of Christ and all that.

In fact there is even a reference in the bible to dinosaurs. From the book of Job.

40:15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
40:16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.
40:17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.
40:18 His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.

Scholars often times say that this a elephant. Since he eats grass and is like a ox. He is very strong and has strong bones, however how many elephants have tails like a cedar?

So get a grip. Right now it is very very popular to slam religion, but learn to think for yourself for a change.

People go to war for religion, not because they are following the tenets of their religion, but usually because they are deluded or have a hidden agenda.Look, people go to war over religion, because it's a convenient excuse. You don't go to war because you want to conquer and enrich yourself on foreign countries, it just sounds bad, but if you said that god told you to do it, it sounds better.

The thing is that you have to remember that 75% of all religion is bull****. It's the truth. Gullible people are always finding ways to give their money to criminals. It's overblown, full of lies and deceit. People follow it because it makes them feel good and they don't have to think much about it.

But if you think that ALL religious activity is only about GOD and such, you are mistaken. There are LOTS of activity that people engage in everyday that is 100% religious but they don't realize it because it is not, because the practitioners of this religion do not consider it a religion and nobody in the media tells them it's a religion.

Think about it....

The science of evolution is one good example of a religious belief that a great many people accept on face value. To them it's a proven fact and no amount of discussion is going to dissuade their belief of it. Right now I bet that people will react this statement in a similar fashion to a person from a snake-handler cult from the deep south would react to a Catholic priest telling them that when the bible was talking about the serpents and poisons they were really talking about spiritual poisons and the snake represents demons and the devil, not actual physical snakes and cyanide.

No amount of evidence to the contrary is going to scare them off. Hundreds of artifacts are found that invalidate the commonly held views. The Neanderthals that were found in the early part of the last century were later proven to be in fact normal humans that had distorted bone stuctures due to advanced states of malnourished-nourishment and vitamin depletion. The were a isolated family that all had rickets, but non the less people still talk about neanderthals were a actual subspecies of people and not the results of isolation, malnourishment and inbreeding.

Another piece of evidence is foot prints found in ancient volcanic ash sediment that exactly match the canter, size and shape of modern human footprints. These have been carbon dated to about the same time in ancient history that our ancestors in the famous time lines of the human evolution are depicted to be small cat-like lemurs.

However if you ask a average ?non-religious? person about evolution he will be reciting things he/she remembers from science class or Nova that have been proven wrong or misleading since the 70's. Pict man, Nebraska man and many other fragments of skulls have been proven to be from con artist or just mistaken or misplaced fossils from other animals, however you can still find books that reference these creatures.

Or how about entire skeletons and skulls created from a leg bone that could be considered a fossil.

I am not saying that evolution is a mistake or that people who believe in it are false or anything. It's a interesting possibility and worth real scientific discussion and research, but from what people talk about it sometimes is as factual scientific proof as real as the grass is green and the sun is bright.

Another belief people hold that is religious in nature is atheism. It's easy and comfortable to think that just because you deny something or can't sense something with your senses that it must not exist.

I can see god, or witness god. People pray to god, but bad things still happen to them. Evolution is a indisputable fact and the earth is millions of years old and I don't think people like Christians are capable of understanding that. So if god doesn't exist because it is a fact and Christians aren't capable of believing that the scientific method is perfect and indisputable that they are fools.

That way you feel very smart and have people that are less then you because they believe in things that you believe are patently false. It makes you feel good and gives you hope that science, technology and governmental forces can solve problems for you. This is because that science is ever increasing the knowledge of mankind and in time can solve all of mankind's major problems.\

Just don't forget folks; It takes as much belief to believe that god does not exist as it is to believe that he does.

As far as religions go in a traditional sense, most of those are bull*** to. Hardcore atheists are not the only ones that have a firm grip on ignorance.

Lots of priests don't believe in god or anything. Being a priest to them is a easy job and nobody is going to realize the little scams you pull to make money on the side. Lots of people in the middle east use religion to pull the wool over people's eyes and create laws and excuses to keep themselves in power.

There were times in catholic history were corruption took over the church turning it into a money making political machine.

So what? This doesn't mean that god exists or doesn't exist any more then a con-artist/unemployed scientist that takes a gorilla skull and a modified pig jaw and convinces the scientific community for 15 years that is the ?missing link? proves or disproves evolution.

Have half a brain for Christ's sake. People tell others every day that the bible is full of it and such and such, but are so ignorant that they actually think that it says that Adam and Eve ate a apple in the garden of eden. It never said anything of the sort. Look it up.

Or they think that it says that the earth is only 6000 or so years old, when it says nothing of the sort. In Hebrew there are 3 different words that get translated to into ?world? in the bible. They are the world as in a epoch, a special measure of time.. Like the world or the roman empire, or the modern world.

Next there are world in the sense of the planet. Like the around the world in eighty days.

Last are world is a state of physical/spiritual/mental being, or different dimensions. The spiritual world for example.

In the beginning god created this world. This is 6000 years is actually the second ?world?. It actually has stories referencing back to the ?first earth age?. And the third earth age is coming after the time of Christ and all that.

In fact there is even a reference in the bible to dinosaurs. From the book of Job.

40:15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
40:16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.
40:17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.
40:18 His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.

Scholars often times say that this a elephant. Since he eats grass and is like a ox. He is very strong and has strong bones, however how many elephants have tails like a cedar?

So get a grip. Right now it is very very popular to slam religion, but learn to think for yourself for a change.

People go to war for religion, not because they are following the tenets of their religion, but usually because they are deluded or have a hidden agenda.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Ilmater
C'mon LunarRay! I really want to hear your answer!

You said "*sigh* ... Why didn't I see this coming? "

What could I say to that? It is, in my mind, the final word... I give this to you, freely. I agree with your right to not accept what you cannot. I find no earthly fault with your reasoning. My belief is simple.. it is mine and I don't try to persuade beyond explain my whys and wherefores.. I see it like me saying I just saw an alien and you scoff and say 'right'... I'd smile and know what I know and it is ok that you think you know what you know regarding what I know.. If I believe I saw an alien... no argument can convince me otherwise nor, I expect, will you accept I did see it.. I don't argue... why should I? It is not important for my salvation.. it is for yours but, you have to do all the accepting not me.. I'm content to let it be as it may.

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002

Well Yahweh is a ignorant person's way of trying to show their knowledge of the christian/jewish religion. It's is a bastardization of the the actual hebrew word/phrase which is what God told Moses to tell the Isrealites when Moses asked what his name was.

Pure ignorance. Even though some christians actually beleive that's the correct name. It is not.

Otherwisethe rest is just a tirade of anti-jewish BS he probably picked up online or at a school somewhere.

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Religion has also saved many lives. Some people need it in there lives or they would fall into depression or something like that.

I give you the 'one sided arguement' award for presenting only one side of an issue and basing your beliefs on it. Nothing wrong with that, but you get the award.
It has? :p

People can get over depression; that's why religion has been called the OPIATE of the people. It keeps people stupid and non questioning.

You give no examples because religion has been a force for war.

More wars in the history of mankind have been fought for religious reasons than any other. (as just ONE example) The Roman Catholic Inquisition is just one part of this Church's bloody history - think of the crusades. If the Catholic Church still had political power, they would still torture and kill their religious opponents today.

edited

Of course the common saying: "religion is the opiate of the masses" also comes from the same people that put themselves as the saviors of the people and created a government and a culture that eventually cost the lives of nearly 20 MILLION of their own people under Stalin.

So maybe religion is the opiate of the masses, but at least priests don't go around quoting mass murders as talking points to defend their positions.

And to be brutaly honest communism and fascist socialist governments were responsible for more deaths and suffering in the past century then any other time history. And one of the commons points that they talked about is how they are going to save people by convincing them that religions are a falsehood.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: drag

Well Yahweh is a ignorant person's way of trying to show their knowledge of the christian/jewish religion. It's is a bastardization of the the actual hebrew word/phrase which is what God told Moses to tell the Isrealites when Moses asked what his name was.

Pure ignorance. Even though some christians actually beleive that's the correct name. It is not.

Otherwisethe rest is just a tirade of anti-jewish BS he probably picked up online or at a school somewhere.
Well - "mr scholar", should I have posted the tetragrammaton in ancient Hebrew to satisfy you? Or just YHWH? (or better HWHY since Hebrew is read from right to left).

Or perhaps "Jehovah" in English?

Or should we use "lord" or "god" - which are not even private names at all. :p

rolleye.gif

Your own ignorance of ancient history and things 'christian' or Jewish are too big to ignore.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003
let's not kid ourselves, militant atheism has killed more people than religion has, again look at history.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Shad0hawK
let's not kid ourselves, militant atheism has killed more people than religion has, again look at history.
Don't militant atheists come out of religious cultures as reactionaries.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
good point . . . however, militant atheism - which has only been around since the last century - isn't a patch compared to the evils of organized religion over the past 4k years (and especially twisted "christainity" since the 4th century).

rolleye.gif

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: drag

Well - "mr scholar", should I have posted the tetragrammaton in ancient Hebrew to satisfy you? Or just YHWH? (or better HWHY since Hebrew is read from right to left).

Or perhaps "Jehovah" in English?

Or should we use "lord" or "god" - which are not even private names at all. :p

rolleye.gif

Your own ignorance of ancient history and things 'christian' or Jewish are too big to ignore.

There is a correct way to pronounce it and their is a incorrect way. Yahweh is a perversion created by people who just don't know any better. Using it in a statement ment to condem a entire way of life just goes to show how idiotic the statement is in the first place and shows that the person has no concept of what he is talking about.

If I start talking about cars for instance and start talking about talking about the TURTO makes the MOTAR go faster by increasing the DISPLACMNET of the ARI by increasing the VACUME in the VENTURAS then it's painfully obvious that I have no f-ing clue what I am talking about and probably should be ignored.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I read that since the Jews stopped saying it in the 3rd century, nobody knows how it was originally pronounced.

The reason the camel is hauty and prowd is because he knows the 99th name of God. A saying.

How much like camels we are.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I read that since the Jews stopped saying it in the 3rd century, nobody knows how it was originally pronounced.

The reason the camel is hauty and prowd is because he knows the 99th name of God. A saying.

I must be a camel too... "al-Sabur (The Patient)" is the 99th name of God.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003

so basicaly your syaing it is still religions fault, just secondary? take stalin for example, he thought the most pragmatic way to get rid of religion was getting rid of the religious, since atheism tells us there is no moral law, and since what stalin did was legal in his country, how was he wrong? what grounds are objections to what he did based on?

lmao!

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
If you assume that God is God and God is good. You cannot link the activities of man to the word or being of God. Man perverts what God (Jesus) embraced, to the extent he did and it is recorded accurately. Religion, if it is contrary to God's will is a perversion. It is a perverted religion! Who here could know God's will without listening to God tell us. Man wrote the 'New Testament' and God (Jesus) did not (to my knowledge) come back and embrace it, however, it does not, to my reading, advocate anything 'bad'.
Man will always seek to control others and religion is just another way. If it, relogion, follows The Word of God as God intended it to be followed then by definition it is not perverted.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: LunarRay

If God is The Patient, who's The Doctor?

==============

so basicaly your syaing it is still religions fault, just secondary? take stalin for example, he thought the most pragmatic way to get rid of religion was getting rid of the religious, since atheism tells us there is no moral law, and since what stalin did was legal in his country, how was he wrong? what grounds are objections to what he did based on?

lmao!
I didn't say anything was anybody's fault. As to what grounds there are to objections, I'd name "The Gound of Being"

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: LunarRay

If God is The Patient, who's The Doctor?
I dunno... Maybe it is one of his other names and he is the only one who can heal himself.. :)

Not all patients are patient.