Relativity, Speed of Light, and Time Travel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ronaldrc33

Dec 2, 2016
I understand how GPS works. Really has nothing to do rather time exist or not, the abstract of time does exist, number are abstract that man invented. As I said time is a abstract invention made by man. It takes so long for anything to happen, so GPS works.

All matter interacts with all other matter in order to go back in time
you would have to reconfigure all the matter in the universe.

Ronald

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
As a background to relativity, no matter how fast you are moving, light always approaches you at the speed of 3.0*10^8 m/s, and travels away from you at the same speed. Suppose you are moving with a velocity of 0.5c: light approaching you still approaches at c, and light traveling away from you leaves at speed c. This has been proven by several experiments.

If that is the case, how does the fact that experiments here on Earth have stopped light not contradict that?
Or the supposition that "black holes" exert enough gravitational force to prevent light from passing?

Last edited:

LSANTHRAX

Nov 14, 2004
However, to be fair the warp drives in Star Trek are suppose to work by "warping spacetime" which in it self would not cause any time dilation ("time travell") since you are not actually moving the ship.

Hence, it might indeed be possible to go some insane distance in a few minutes (the time it would take and the distance you travelled would not even necessarily be correlated).
At the moment we don't know if warp drives are possible or not. However, we do know that if they can be built they would require an insane amount of energy.

edit: Perhaps I should also mention that IF it turns out to be possible (in principle) to build warp drives then it should be fairly easy to go back in time; the limiting factor being that you could only go as far back as to the time the "hole in spacetime" was created.

Excuse the necro, but warp drives aren't strictly limited to the realm of science fiction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Excuse the necro, but warp drives aren't strictly limited to the realm of science fiction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

What you have is mathematical solution using something which is science fiction, matter with negative mass which has never been observed. What has been worked out are likely properties and here is a thought experiment about it. Imagine two tungsten spheres which you have shrinkwrapped tightly together. One sphere is ordinary positive matter and the other negative matter. Take them into space and let them go.

What happens? Positive matter attracts, negative matter repels. The result is that the spheres will move and accelerate away. No propulsion, no energy added. This object accelerates ever closer to the speed of light but can't break through because the universe doesn't allow that. This hypothetical construct would need reach infinite mass to reach light speed, and past infinity to go any faster. That doesn't work of course.

The Albuierre drive allows a scenario for FTL travel from established equations in relativity, however it requires that pesky and likely impossible substance, negative matter.

For now that's distinctly SF.

w3rd

Mar 1, 2017
"As a background to relativity, no matter how fast you are moving, light always approaches you at the speed of 3.0*10^8 m/s, and travels away from you at the same speed. Suppose you are moving with a velocity of 0.5c: light approaching you still approaches at c, and light traveling away from you leaves at speed c. This has been proven by several experiments."

Can you site these "several experiments"..? Plz.

And yes, "Time" is a construct of man. To account for our concept of past & present and of moments. As we are beings of time. (We are Time's measure).

Now, I believe how humans express time mathematically, is flawed. That is why our construction of space-time is flawed, because it doesn't account for relativity. Matter of fact, in all theories I have researched, they are suggesting to me (mathematically), that time itself can travel.

I am stating, that one can not travel thru time, without relativity.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
I'm a simple minded person and being so I rely on my God given common sense.

I never could wrap my head around the idea that everyone believes that time is a physical thing.

My opinion of Time is that it doesn't exist, it is only a human invention made to keep up with things happening around us.

I do not believe it is possible to go forward or backwards in time.

Ronald
Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Since taking up research on many things in the Bible, I've come to believe that this was some kind of declaration of the beginning of the dimensionality of time itself. Probably goes with space-time, matter, etc. The whole idea that God created everything.

Reason being:

Isaiah 57:15
For thus saith the high and lofty One who inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy:.......

Usually, I think we have a tendency to think of eternity as having a lot of time or an arrow pointing left on a chalk board going forever to the past and an arrow pointing to the right pointing forever to the future. But I think from a Biblical perspective, eternity is really an existence outside of the dimensionality of time altogether. Not affected by Mass, Acceleration, or Gravity. AKA: not affected by time.

We know that time changes with Mass, Acceleration, And Gravity. It's not really up for debate. Atomic clock tests between Boulder CO and Greenwich England along with flight tests with atomic clocks have pretty much proven as much. It's measurable, predictable, repeatable.