Question Related to my current "Intermittent, occasional critical stop" thread -- question about high-density RAM

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
In my other thread, I'm troubleshooting problems and symptoms with a high-density 2x16GB TridentZ "GTZR" RAM kit.

There were symptoms that other hardware was being slightly starved for power, for instance -- fans that issue a grinding noise. The noises disappeared when I replaced the GTZR RAM with a 2x8 kit of GTZs.

Would this problem with the GTZR's be something that generally applies to high-density RAM? I've discovered that there's a set of RipJaws 2x16's specifically spec'd for my Z170 motherboard, but I have yet to try them. The GTZR descriptions had only mentioned the later Z290 board.

I'm just trying to get a handle on how or why the GTZRs may not be working properly, or how or why I notice these differences in general PC performance -- as I wait to see for sure whether my difficulties are resolved with the 2x8 kit.

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
GTZR is the RGB version. GTZ and GTZKx and a few other variants are non-RGB. I wonder if there was a fault in the LED lighting of your original sticks. I can't think of any way that the chip density would matter, unless your PSU is really on the edge where a couple watts matters.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There were symptoms that other hardware was being slightly starved for power, for instance -- fans that issue a grinding noise. The noises disappeared when I replaced the GTZR RAM with a 2x8 kit of GTZs.
That doesn't rally make any sense, unless like
unless your PSU is really on the edge where a couple watts matters.

It makes slightly more sense, if the fan noise is intermittant, and due to wear or dust, and it just happened to let up when you rebooted yourr PC.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Larry and Kschendel -- Can't be the PSU. The critical stops began with the original PSU, and continued with a replacement. I understand your observations about the fans, but after removing the GTZR modules, it is simply not there, and rebooting doesn't change that observation.

I know I could test the GTZRs with HCI-Memtest-64, and I could even do it while pursuing regular business in Windows -- an advantage of that program. But it just seems less troublesome to swap in known-good 8GB modules -- the GTZs.

It may take a few weeks to see if that's the issue, but if I can verify the shutdowns have disappeared, then I know it was the RAM, and I can test the GTZRs before I send them back under RMA. If I want to use the kits specifically spec'd for the Z170, then -- given the price-tag or half what I paid for the GTZRs -- I can put in 64GB and give them a thorough test in pairs. But I need to know if it's the RAM.

The PSUs were Seasonic Titaniums -- first, a 650W, and then, a 750W. When I discovered that this wasn't some problem with my server-class APC UPS, I re-deployed it to my entertainment center. I have ALL SORTS of irons in the fire. Right now, I'm trying to get a second ROKU configured for Moms, and there is a glitch for using the same account as the first device, so I have to follow the online chat-agent's advice and wait four hours. Moms needs her physical therapy exercises, her dinner and a diaper change. I NEED to be sure this computer is reliable for both of us. People say they "can't keep busy" in retirement.

Are they freaking kidding?! I once had two jobs, burning the candle at both ends. This "retirement" still has me with my hands full . . .