Regulations Create Jobs, Too

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Not in the national office, but there are in state and municipal positions. The people pushing the medical marijuana idea in places like California are almost always democrats. Those same democrats also like to control gay couples by pushing for gay marriages. While gay marriage is not legal, it is completely outside of government control.

And Libertarians are 100% pro-legalization and pro-gay marriage (or anti-government control of marriage, either way) but idiot "liberals" see them as the evil right.

Oh well, stupid is as stupid does.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
You'll find many, many, many more cases of e.coli from organic food and meat then you'll ever find in raw milk. Again a bogus bullshit argument.

Really? You will find more cases of e. coli from ALL organic meat and foods combined then organic raw milk?

I actually believe your statement but I bet you made it without doing ANY research as to its truthfulness.

Did you know most e. coli infections can be traced back to cows? even the ones on vegetables?

I backed up my argument with links. If you want to ignore that then go ahead. But you do so because you want to hold on to your ideology and dont want to change how you think about issues. This is not a sign of true intelligence btw.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
On another subject, what about light bulbs? Its coming down the pike that incandescent lightbulbs won’t be allowed to be sold anymore because they are energy hogs…

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
On another subject, what about light bulbs? Its coming down the pike that incandescent lightbulbs won’t be allowed to be sold anymore because they are energy hogs…

The conservatives here hate this.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Really? You will find more cases of e. coli from ALL organic meat and foods combined then organic raw milk?

I actually believe your statement but I bet you made it without doing ANY research as to its truthfulness.

Did you know most e. coli infections can be traced back to cows? even the ones on vegetables?

I backed up my argument with links. If you want to ignore that then go ahead. But you do so because you want to hold on to your ideology and dont want to change how you think about issues. This is not a sign of true intelligence btw.

Like I said you're not being consistent and you are singling out this small incident and proving how the FDA went far past what they should be doing. Apply the standards they use on milk to everything else that may contain pathogens and you'll see they went way overboard on it.

http://textbookofbacteriology.net/salmonella.html

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The conservatives here hate this.

Correct, it's just more poorly thought out legislation.

Want to enact taxes to offset the externalities of energy production? That's fine with me. Then people can choose the lightbulb of their choice as long as they pay the costs. But mico-managing to the point that you're telling someone specifically what type of light bulb they can use is stupid.

Who has a higher cost to society? Someone with an incandescent bulb in a closet that gets flipped on every now and then for a few seconds or someone with a second refrigerator? Surely we should have a ban on owning a second refrigerator, correct?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Like I said you're not being consistent and you are singling out this small incident and proving how the FDA went far past what they should be doing. Apply the standards they use on milk to everything else that may contain pathogens and you'll see they went way overboard on it.

http://textbookofbacteriology.net/salmonella.html

Human to human infections of ecoli is not a small incident. That should scare the shit out of most rational humans.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Correct, it's just more poorly thought out legislation.

Want to enact taxes to offset the externalities of energy production? That's fine with me. Then people can choose the lightbulb of their choice as long as they pay the costs. But mico-managing to the point that you're telling someone specifically what type of light bulb they can use is stupid.

Who has a higher cost to society? Someone with an incandescent bulb in a closet that gets flipped on every now and then for a few seconds or someone with a second refrigerator? Surely we should have a ban on owning a second refrigerator, correct?

While I understand your point it wasnt the best example

and heres why

http://www.tricountyelectriccoop.coop/fridge.html

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
While I understand your point it wasnt the best example

and heres why

http://www.tricountyelectriccoop.coop/fridge.html

If a 100-watt incandescent light bulb were left on for 16 hours per day

So you're telling me that even though I have a lightbulb that gets used very infrequently for very short periods of time, I need to replace that $0.50 bulb with a $5 flourescent bulb that has far higher environmental costs, or a $50 LED? Sounds like legislation designed to make the 1% wealthy, not to save energy.

Again, bad law written by stupid people. But hey, it makes the left feel good, and feeling good is far more important than results to you people.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
im seeing led bulbs at $6 and florescent at 6 for $9

How many watts of light for the LEDs and the florescents? CFLs have dropped considerably in price, my entire house (almost) uses them. I can put a 125 Watt of light CFL into any light socket knowing it will not be too much for it...and I get a lot of light.

LEDs, I would love to use them, but try getting 100 watt of light LEDs...OUCH! I would rather buy a new PC than a couple of those for the same price.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
im seeing led bulbs at $6 and florescent at 6 for $9

Thanks to cheap chinese slave labor and zero environmental regulations! Even those LED bulbs contain some nasty chemicals. And the people who lost their job at the last U.S. incandescent bulb factory would like to have a word with you.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Well, extreme members of your GOP would love to get rid of the devils brew...the treament of foodstuffs is all basic science..whats your issue exactly with milk????

I dont have an issue with milk. I say let the guy sell it to willing buyers. Do you have a problem with milk?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
and to pound the point home

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57363242/e-coli-found-in-raw-milk-dairys-calf-area/

Scientists and medical professionals in this country are the best in the world. I feel absolutely confident letting them do their work. If this means there are limits to raw milk or other food stuffs then so be it.

None of us here have the professional expertise (maybe matt does) to say that this regulation is bad. I think its dangerous to play politics with issues like this because of the risks involved.

My biggest problem with conservative think in this area is the total lack of real information they use to base their decisions. The decision is based on ideology and not real science. That is dangerous.

I dont need science to tell me specific food types are more dangerous than others. But so what? If I know the consequences going in why do you care if I consume them?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Nope, don't support War on Drugs. Though I know first-hand through a close family member how destructive the stronger (i.e. heroin) drugs are and their entirely negative consequences on other people. And make no mistake, they always have negative consequences for people other than the abuser, which is what is behind the history of making these drugs illegal.

Of course, the main issue with making drugs illegal is costs of implementing enforcement as well as costs of black markets and the violence they create, all of which is driven by unparalleled demand. No way to contain them, unlike the hapless milk farmer in the OP. Again for practicality's sake, making alcohol illegal is not in the cards and far more costly compared to the lives it would save because access to alcohol (presumably) would be as easy as it was in the 20's, so the net effect is negative. Which is why I've never been ideological about gov't control because context and circumstance change behavior. Don't like gov't with (most) illicit drugs, but feel it's necessary with most other (prescription) drugs. Depends.

So what you are basically saying is because some consumeables consumption is so wide spread we cant possibly contain them we shouldnt. But since these milk producers are easier to crush because they arent as popular we should. Gee bully much?

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
tell ur sister I'm done talking to her.

Oh she is already done... she prefers the men who she talks with to have balls and a penis. This mangina crap does not fly with her.

Yay, lets all act like 6th graders when we don't like what we read.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Oh she is already done... she prefers the men who she talks with to have balls and a penis. This mangina crap does not fly with her.

Yay, lets all act like 6th graders when we don't like what we read.

Since the mods apparently like to sit back and do nothing what else can you expect. Of course, you will likely get a warning given your historical position on issues.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
look how dumb you are

Motherfucker,

If scientists showed you hard data your dumb ass wouldnt know what you are even looking at. lmao.

Like somehow xbiffx on the interwebz need to be shown all the hard data for everything science does.

If you want that kind of access YOU need to change YOUR career path from shit shoveler to scientist. Good luck with that.

oh that's rich.

hahaha. Why are you so stupid? How old are you?

So first you hurl a baseless insult without anything to back it up. Then when don't like the way the discussion is still going, you resort to name calling. Finally you end with questioning my age which is hysterically ironic.

Let me spell this out for you. I don't want to live in your world. You like the idea of more regulations and people, i mean experts, telling you what to do. It seems the reason you want this is two fold. First, you don't want to have to make any real decisions in life. Second, should you have to make a real decision you definitely don't want any negative consequences due to that bad decision. You want to be able to sleep at night knowing that you can do no wrong and anything you do will be OK. You want to believe that there is someone always on the lookout for you and that should you make a bad choice, someone is there to make sure nothing bad happens because of it.

Again, I don't want to live in your world. In your world, the is no reason whatsoever to even get out of bed everyday. Why would I even try when everything has been decided for me. From what I get to eat or drink to what car I drive. In your world the decision has been made as to what I can watch on TV or listen to on the radio. It's been decided where I can go to work and what I can't do when I get there. I don't even get to decide what light bulb to light the lamp that I read the already-decided-for-me book with. No, I would not want to live in your world. In your world, the only way that I get to feel any happiness is to lower my intelligence and ambition to that of a Prole.

In your world I will be forced into an existence that is for the "greater good". I am forced to do things that are "better for the environment" or "better for the unfortunate" or even just "better for humanity as a whole." All of these things are forced upon me so that people like you can sleep better a night. Because, in the end, all of the regulations you support are nothing more than a selfish act shrouded in some "its better for everyone" fantasy. Selfish rules that only serve to make you feel better about everything you do or every decision you make. Rules that don't allow for failure or prevent you from making a bad decision or just to mitigate the consequences of a bad decision.

Again, no thanks. I will take the real world over your world. A place where good decisions are met with good consequences and bad decision are met with bad. A place where you can make a choice that could have extreme consequences. A place where you must think about everything you do and find a way to be better at doing it. A place that makes me want to get out of bed each day and decide what to do different that day. A place where my intelligence is rewarded by good decisions and therefore good outcomes and where I can strive to be better to make fewer bad decisions. Yes, I will take the real world, thank you very much.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
And I'll bet you diddle kiddies. Go fuck yourself you shit eater.

Now if anybody has anything on topic to say, go ahead.

Well now, was that called for?? Your mental issues are coming right to the forefront now aren't they...