Regulations Create Jobs, Too

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Biff, you obviously cannot be reasoned with, blind faith in science? how about hard data and real results...that is science...

I have yet to see the hard data that says that scientists are always right, or at least to the point that I should just think like Jstorm and be absolutely confident in their expertise. Not happening. I would also like to see the hard data that says that playing politics is more dangerous than just siding with the science community. Again, didn't think so.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
So Biff, your doctor says,listen you are overweight, your cholesterol is thru the roof, your blood pressure is very high…you need to make changes otherwise you will die young…

But you say..hey, I feel fine and my buddy joe says I look ok…F that doctor..no changes for me!!
Good luck with that…

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I have yet to see the hard data that says that scientists are always right, or at least to the point that I should just think like Jstorm and be absolutely confident in their expertise. Not happening. I would also like to see the hard data that says that playing politics is more dangerous than just siding with the science community. Again, didn't think so.

Motherfucker,

If scientists showed you hard data your dumb ass wouldnt know what you are even looking at. lmao.

Like somehow xbiffx on the interwebz need to be shown all the hard data for everything science does.

If you want that kind of access YOU need to change YOUR career path from shit shoveler to scientist. Good luck with that.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
So Biff, your doctor says,listen you are overweight, your cholesterol is thru the roof, your blood pressure is very high…you need to make changes otherwise you will die young…

But you say..hey, I feel fine and my buddy joe says I look ok…F that doctor..no changes for me!!
Good luck with that…

Absolutely, my doctor makes a recommendation based on some lab test. I can choose to accept his warning and do something or I can make my own decision to do something or do nothing. Just because a doctor says something doesn't mean he is always right. Also, that test may be wrong. If it comes back a second or third time the same way then its probably accurate but I'm not about to take everything at face value. FFS man, think for yourself sometime.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
A firefighter told me to stop, drop, and roll if I'm on fire. I looked him in the eye and said "fuck you, I think for myself" and I walked away. I put him in his place.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Then lets get this straight, Democrats do fully support the War on Drugs?

A mandate from the citizenry to prevent people from ingesting harmful substances should get your full support, no?

JStorm?

First?

You fully support the War on Drugs? Let's hear it.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Part of their mandate has become that as determined by popular vote. Love it or not, a lot of people vote for good gov't and that includes gov't keeping you from harming yourself. I want the freedom to make bad decisions, of course, but when it comes to life-and-death it requires a little more oversight.

Read the story dolt. The producer isn't doing any of that. lol.

I read the story, what would have kept the government from telling the milk producer to label his product? Nothing. and do it for about $50 instead of costing millions of dollars with the investigations and still done absolutely nothing to stop what is going to continue no matter what the fucking government says. Do you really think that people that want raw milk are going to stop getting it ? The tactic worked so well with alcohol and drugs i'm sure it will work this time.
idiot.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

A mandate from the citizenry to prevent people from ingesting harmful substances should get your full support, no?

JStorm?

First?

No. i dont. I support legalization of mj and decriminalization of harder substances as users/ small time dealers.

Im allowed to have a stance that supports Libyans fighting for their freedoms and being against the drug war.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I read the story, what would have kept the government from telling the milk producer to label his product? Nothing. and do it for about $50 instead of costing millions of dollars with the investigations and still done absolutely nothing to stop what is going to continue no matter what the fucking government says. Do you really think that people that want raw milk are going to stop getting it ? The tactic worked so well with alcohol and drugs i'm sure it will work this time.
idiot.

Its like you didnt read any of what i wrote.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

JStorm?

First?

Nope, don't support War on Drugs. Though I know first-hand through a close family member how destructive the stronger (i.e. heroin) drugs are and their entirely negative consequences on other people. And make no mistake, they always have negative consequences for people other than the abuser, which is what is behind the history of making these drugs illegal.

Of course, the main issue with making drugs illegal is costs of implementing enforcement as well as costs of black markets and the violence they create, all of which is driven by unparalleled demand. No way to contain them, unlike the hapless milk farmer in the OP. Again for practicality's sake, making alcohol illegal is not in the cards and far more costly compared to the lives it would save because access to alcohol (presumably) would be as easy as it was in the 20's, so the net effect is negative. Which is why I've never been ideological about gov't control because context and circumstance change behavior. Don't like gov't with (most) illicit drugs, but feel it's necessary with most other (prescription) drugs. Depends.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000

JStorm?

First?

If a harmful substance will kill you then yes, most soft drugs if used responsibly won't kill you? wheres your analogy?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003

JStorm?

First?

Banning all drugs means the government has absolutely no control over the quality of drugs. This is why the war on drugs is a republican platform. It was started by a republican and pushed harder by every republican along the way. Having wildly inconsistent drug quality is the republican dream, and that's currently what the situation is.

The democrats like to control and regulate everything. This is why ending the war on drugs then putting laws on drugs falls in the liberal camp.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
A firefighter told me to stop, drop, and roll if I'm on fire. I looked him in the eye and said "fuck you, I think for myself" and I walked away. I put him in his place.

I didn't say don't take good advice and I didn't say ignore everything you are told. I did say that you should make your own decisions. Don't just act on something because some "expert" told you to do it. If you think that ignoring a firefighter is smart then do it. Just make decisions for yourself and not just blindly follow some "expert's" advice. Its scary but often times the "expert" knows little more than you on a given subject.

If that firefighter told you to poor gasoline on yourself to extinguish the flames then I hope you wouldn't. If a doctor told you to just take a drug because it will "fix" everything, would you just do it without question? It seems there are some who wouldn't stop to think about either scenario because an "expert" is at the other end of the conversation. To me that is scary. Perhaps its not to others.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Its like you didnt read any of what i wrote.

What are you talking about? The whole disease thing? It's so totally bogus that it doesn't apply. If you were consistent you'd be banning organic veggies because of listeria. You know you're not being consistent and that you've made an specific exception in the milk case.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
idiot.

Huh? Milk supplier refused to cooperate, FDA got on his ass. Not hard to figure out.

And again, comparing the demand for drugs and alcohol with unpasteurized milk is apples and oranges.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I didn't say don't take good advice and I didn't say ignore everything you are told. I did say that you should make your own decisions. Don't just act on something because some "expert" told you to do it. If you think that ignoring a firefighter is smart then do it. Just make decisions for yourself and not just blindly follow some "expert's" advice. Its scary but often times the "expert" knows little more than you on a given subject.

If that firefighter told you to poor gasoline on yourself to extinguish the flames then I hope you wouldn't. If a doctor told you to just take a drug because it will "fix" everything, would you just do it without question? It seems there are some who wouldn't stop to think about either scenario because an "expert" is at the other end of the conversation. To me that is scary. Perhaps its not to others.

What you see here is a mind fully steeped in the war on intellectuals. Somehow "experts" are the new enemy to the GOP conservative right. And you wonder why they are slowly eroding away?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
OK, so let's just get this straight.

We need a War on Milk, but not a War on Drugs?

And people think Republicans are confused...

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The democrats like to control and regulate everything. This is why ending the war on drugs then putting laws on drugs falls in the liberal camp.

Which Democrats support legalization and regulation of all currently illegal drugs? Is there a single one in a national office?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
What are you talking about? The whole disease thing? It's so totally bogus that it doesn't apply. If you were consistent you'd be banning organic veggies because of listeria. You know you're not being consistent and that you've made an specific exception in the milk case.

Listeria doesnt have a human to human infection that I know of. E. coli does. This is my point.

If you want to kill yourself by doing all kinds of things its ok but the moment you infringe on my rights to NOT be killed by those things THEN regulation happens.

Take second hand smoke as a example. You do not have the right to force me to breath your cigarette smoke.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Which Democrats support legalization and regulation of all currently illegal drugs? Is there a single one in a national office?

Not in the national office, but there are in state and municipal positions. The people pushing the medical marijuana idea in places like California are almost always democrats. Those same democrats also like to control gay couples by pushing for gay marriages. While gay marriage is not legal, it is completely outside of government control.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Listeria doesnt have a human to human infection that I know of. E. coli does. This is my point.

If you want to kill yourself by doing all kinds of things its ok but the moment you infringe on my rights to NOT be killed by those things THEN regulation happens.

Take second hand smoke as a example. You do not have the right to force me to breath your cigarette smoke.

You'll find many, many, many more cases of e.coli from organic food and meat then you'll ever find in raw milk. Again a bogus bullshit argument.