Regulations and Sandy

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by a777pilot, Nov 2, 2012.

1. a777pilot

a777pilot Diamond Member

Today the Mayor of NYC and the Governor of NY said that gas was and will be getting into NYC harbor rapidly because regulations are being waived to allow for this.

WHAT?

I thought all these regulations were there to improve business and to ensure our safety. So then they are really there just to add roadblocks to commerce? Interesting.

2. Blackjack200

Blackjack200 Lifer

WHAT?

I thought regulation was there to improve my pooping!

3. bfdd

bfdd Lifer

Of course they can wave regulations whenever they feel like, they play by different rules than we do. No one though will be willing to admit that such things cause unforeseen fluctuations and damage to the market though. I mean to do so would be to acknowledge that Government truly shouldn't be meddling in everything.

4. dmcowen674

dmcowen674 No Lifer

It's all about the money, it always is

11-2-2012

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...4be156-250a-11e2-92f8-7f9c4daf276a_story.html

Cuomo says there’s ‘no reason to panic’ over gas shortages, threatens utilities’ franchises

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says he’s signed an executive order waiving a requirement that fuel tankers register and pay tax before unloading

The governor says there’s “no reason to panic” about gas shortages. He said Friday that tankers are now making “great progress” delivering fuel and that his order will help get gasoline to consumers faster. He also says terminals that suffered damage in Superstorm Sandy are coming back online.

But he also is warning utilities that they must devote full personnel and equipment to power restoration. Cuomo says utilities operate only with the state’s permission and he will hold them accountable.

5. a777pilot

a777pilot Diamond Member

That begs the question: Does your pooping need improving?

6. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

The utilities have brought in a ridiculous number of personnel who aren't directly employed by them. Cuomo is playing politics with that statement.

7. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

You are such a dumbass. Politicians respond intelligently to an emergency situation and this is what you waste bandwidth posting? Loser.

8. DominionSeraph

DominionSeraph Diamond Member

LOL @ conservatards.

9. Zorba

Zorba Diamond Member

In terms you may understand: It is kind of like when the FAA issues and immediately adopted rule instead of following the normal AD process. The normal AD/NPRM process is there for good reason, but it doesn't always make the most sense.

10. Juror No. 8

Juror No. 8 Banned

Regulations tend to have only two primary purposes. In order of importance:

1. To prevent any person, business, corporation or unified collection of any of the previous three from ever acquiring enough wealth, influence, or power to effectively challenge the status quo of the current ruling oligarchy (i.e., prevent competition).

2. To serve as a form of corporate welfare (i.e., subsidy).

Every other reason we are given under the sun for all these regulations is just a cover story for the above two reasons.

11. a777pilot

a777pilot Diamond Member

You betcha.

12. a777pilot

a777pilot Diamond Member

I agree.

And well stated.

13. bradley

bradley Diamond Member

I agree. Cuomo's unnecessary threats made my opinion of Christie go up enormously. :)

LIPA has thousands of skilled workers arriving from ten different states. Right now they have 7k supporting the restoration including over 3k high voltage and tree trimming crews. I believe their normal workforce is closer to 2K.

They restored service to the Ronkonkoma and Babylon LIRR lines and are working on Port Washington now. They have also restored power to 37 of 50 substations that were without power. To restore 525K customers (in a disaster of this size/scope) in a matter of four days is also miraculous.

#13 bradley, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  14. a777pilot

a777pilot Diamond Member

You are talking about a process. I am talking about the results.