Regret buying an xbox one.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I got the Gears of War 500Gb edition for $299. A pretty good deal I think. And Forza 6 Ultimate for $100. I'm a huge Forza fan.

I've mostly been playing PS4 previously.

The Xbox one is everything I thought it would be. MY unboxing was like... this is unreal, this is not next gen its half a gen. The controller not having a built in battery is a joke, as are the USB ports being in the back.

I actually charge my controller with a phone charger and a 15 foot USB cable instead, because I refuse to shell out even more money for a battery pack. As a result of the unknown amperage on USB my xbox constantly alerts me that my controller is "low on battery" even though its plugged into a 12w USB charger. What a joke.

I had to upgrade the controller firmware and awkwardly plug it into that much hated rear USB port to use a standard jack audio mic. What?

It was like 4 hours before I could get up and running and play with my friends. The whole point of buying one because they all stuck with xbox.

Now that I've been playing it, the system is slow, unsmooth, crashes more often, the menu's are hard to navigate, games take longer to start after inserting the disc, etc. etc.

I honestly want to sell it. I'm done with it. PS4 has been the best streaming/gaming experience I've ever had. Especially once I set the controllers to turn off after 10 min to save battery. I'm a cord cutter and the xbox one is far too slow and awkward compared to the PS4 as a streaming device.

Some of the games since they are running in 900p use small font I guess to give the game that "high res" feeling. What a joke. I've never had issues with font, icons, graphics, etc. like I do on the xbox one because microsoft is so butthurt over the resolution they probably keep switching between 900p and 1080i icons & text all through development and the final product is a hodge podge of shit. Visibility & readability (I see 20/20) is poor on the xbox one. The menu is cluttered, the fonts are small, the icons are poorly colored, both in games and in the menu. Is this a joke? Microsoft clearly gave up a long time ago on the xbox one. I can't even imagine the kinect. I just read an article that it was mistaking his dogs butt as a hand and activating the cursor mid-TV show. Seems fitting, really. Anybody dumb enough to buy this shit deserves it. I'm out $400 and it stops there.

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I use the white enloop rechargeable batteries and can go a week or two between swaps. Controller firmware takes 30 seconds and you do it once.
4 hours to play with friends seems right after you upgrade the dashboard, install games, etc. Some things take time. You don't have to do this every day, just once.
I never have crashes, the system is fast, smooth, menus, while not great, are much better than they were prior to this most recent dashboard update. Don't use discs, get digital copies if you can so you don't have to use discs. I have a disc for destiny and it loads reasonably fast. Never have resolution issues either....

I'll give you $200.00 for all of it though if you are that unhappy. Just tell me where to send the paypal and I'll give you my address.

Last edited:

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I use the white enloop rechargeable batteries and can go a week or two between swaps. Controller firmware takes 30 seconds and you do it once.
4 hours to play with friends seems right after you upgrade the dashboard, install games, etc. Some things take time. You don't have to do this every day, just once.
I never have crashes, the system is fast, smooth, menus, while not great, are much better than they were prior to this most recent dashboard update. Don't use discs, get digital copies if you can so you don't have to use discs. I have a disc for destiny and it loads reasinably fast. Never have resolution issues either....

I'll give you $200.00 for all of it though if you are that unhappy. Just tell me where to send the paypal and I'll give you my address.

When a game crashes it goes back to the home page and is displaying an all red or all blue screen where you'd normally be able to quickly go back to your game. It quickly tries to relaunch the game hoping you don't notice.

It seems to be mostly a forza 6 issue. Upgrading parts quickly and hoping in and out of multiplayer lobbies quickly seem prone to make it crash.

When a game crashes in PS4 it asks you to submit feedback. Mostly indie games and ported games would crash. IE Warthunder. I never had a AAA PS4 title crash on me.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
That sounds like it sucks. I'm not into racing games and have never played forza 6 so I have no idea if this is normal or not. Sorry you don't like it. It sucks to spend so much money on something with high hopes and not be satisfied with it.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I had a PS4 first and was really cold on the xb1 for a while too after I got it. I've warmed up on it now. I prefer using it for all netflix/amazon streaming over the PS4. I use it for slingtv. My wife and kids love the dancing games with the kinect. I use it for skyping with family. I don't buy games very often for it but enjoy the free games with gold. I could live without it without shedding a tear but in the end I like having it around.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Well, this sounds like a lot of aimless whining, and while some of it is warranted by the inconsistencies in the console, some is just ridiculous.

You know there's a USB cable on the left side of the console, right? I use an 8-foot PlaY & Charge cable with that just fine, if I really want to. However, like slag, I got eneloops. That's where I find the whole battery thing hilarious. You talk up the DS4 for having a built-in battery when the thing is tiny and can't last for long. If I remember correctly, it's 800 mAh. I'm quite pleased with my eneloops that are 2000 mAh each. In fact, I have a Play & Charge battery (which is also higher capacity than the built-in DS4 one), and I don't use it because I hate having to plug it in all the time. Instead, while heavily playing Halo 5 on a daily basis, the batteries last 1-2 weeks on a charge. So, the concept of including a battery is nice, but the DS4's built-in battery is a pile of manure that ends up being a negative for the controller, IMO.

Also, I'm still not sure about the controller update complaint. I update my controllers wirelessly, the new-style ones (With the 3.5mm jack) allow for it. If you're whining that you had to plug the controller in ONCE ever for an update, then there's no point in having a discussion with you on this stuff, because that's a ridiculous complain. If you are complaining that it ALWAYS needs plugged in to update, all I can say is that the newer controllers don't require this.

What was 4 hours, anyway? Installing the game and OS updates and all of that? Again, you're talking a one-time occurrence, and the level of complaint and anger isn't proportional. You might get an OS update every couple of months, but they'll be small. You also started by doing an install of 40+ GB with Forza 6, something that would have been necessary with a PS4 game anyway. So, the only difference would be the time of the OS update, which was probably atypically long, depending on when you got it. They just did a major dashboard overhaul a few months back, so that update is not indicative of the standard update times.

The other stuff, it's preference. Being bad at navigating a new piece of software isn't uncommon, but it seems you just wanted to make the longest list of complaints you could. I don't see my game crash more than once per-month, and I play plenty of different ones. "Slow" and "unsmooth" are unexplained subjective, so I won't waste my time on them. All I can say as a counter is that I got a PS3 recently, and is the PS4's UI is anything close to it, then you're objectively wrong, because the PS3 OS is a disaster of an experience.

All told, hope you feel better that you got that off your chest. Get rid of the console, if you don't like it. Most of what you explain has a very simple reasoning behind it, like a long initial update process (having a console that didn't have software maintenance for months and installing a new game) and not having batteries in the controller (third-party solutions like eneloops are SO much better).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
sounds like the OP was not very bright thinking that $400 for 2 games was worth it to him. apparently it wasnt.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Some of these complaints have nothing to do with the Xbox and more to do with technology. The low battery thing due to voltage is a problem with batteries, certainly not Xbox specific.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I considered an Xbox but it just didn't seem like they had it together this gen and went with a PS4. I'm mostly pleased with it, just wish load times for everything didn't seem so incredibly long for games installed on the hard drive. Seems slower than 360 games that load off the dvd.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Wait, I thought everyone knew darn well that having a non-built in battery for the controller was a GOOD thing. Go buy some darn Eneloops and a charger. 8 AAs and 4 AAAs with a good charger is $20 at Costco right now.

I *hate* lithium ion batteries in controllers - and that's considering the P&C cable is long enough to reach my couch. It's just simpler to grab some AAs out of the charger, shove them in and put the depleted batteries in the charger. It's really simple, really...and to me, preferable. For a PS3/4, dead battery means opening the controller up and finding a replacement. For my XB360/XB1, a dead battery means I just buy a new set of AAs.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Dunno about Xbox's menu's but I hate the PS4's. Haven't turned it on in months but i hate the huge tiles advertising a movie or indie game up in my face at every corner. I hate that I couldn't remove certain apps like Amazon prime and have to scroll past it to get to Netflix, it's all just kind of annoying and slower to navigate to what I want than Steam.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Some of these complaints have nothing to do with the Xbox and more to do with technology. The low battery thing due to voltage is a problem with batteries, certainly not Xbox specific.

No it unnecessarily flashes "low battery" alerts when the controller is running off USB power. I have regular alkaline batteries in there. Its bad programming/design. Its rough around the edges.

I laugh everytime.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Well, this sounds like a lot of aimless whining, and while some of it is warranted by the inconsistencies in the console, some is just ridiculous.

You know there's a USB cable on the left side of the console, right? I use an 8-foot PlaY & Charge cable with that just fine, if I really want to. However, like slag, I got eneloops. That's where I find the whole battery thing hilarious. You talk up the DS4 for having a built-in battery when the thing is tiny and can't last for long. If I remember correctly, it's 800 mAh. I'm quite pleased with my eneloops that are 2000 mAh each. In fact, I have a Play & Charge battery (which is also higher capacity than the built-in DS4 one), and I don't use it because I hate having to plug it in all the time. Instead, while heavily playing Halo 5 on a daily basis, the batteries last 1-2 weeks on a charge. So, the concept of including a battery is nice, but the DS4's built-in battery is a pile of manure that ends up being a negative for the controller, IMO.

Also, I'm still not sure about the controller update complaint. I update my controllers wirelessly, the new-style ones (With the 3.5mm jack) allow for it. If you're whining that you had to plug the controller in ONCE ever for an update, then there's no point in having a discussion with you on this stuff, because that's a ridiculous complain. If you are complaining that it ALWAYS needs plugged in to update, all I can say is that the newer controllers don't require this.

What was 4 hours, anyway? Installing the game and OS updates and all of that? Again, you're talking a one-time occurrence, and the level of complaint and anger isn't proportional. You might get an OS update every couple of months, but they'll be small. You also started by doing an install of 40+ GB with Forza 6, something that would have been necessary with a PS4 game anyway. So, the only difference would be the time of the OS update, which was probably atypically long, depending on when you got it. They just did a major dashboard overhaul a few months back, so that update is not indicative of the standard update times.

The other stuff, it's preference. Being bad at navigating a new piece of software isn't uncommon, but it seems you just wanted to make the longest list of complaints you could. I don't see my game crash more than once per-month, and I play plenty of different ones. "Slow" and "unsmooth" are unexplained subjective, so I won't waste my time on them. All I can say as a counter is that I got a PS3 recently, and is the PS4's UI is anything close to it, then you're objectively wrong, because the PS3 OS is a disaster of an experience.

All told, hope you feel better that you got that off your chest. Get rid of the console, if you don't like it. Most of what you explain has a very simple reasoning behind it, like a long initial update process (having a console that didn't have software maintenance for months and installing a new game) and not having batteries in the controller (third-party solutions like eneloops are SO much better).

You mean like how I started to install Forza first, then decided to redeem my gears of war code while I waited, and automagically it decides to stop the Forza download and prioritize the gears of war download with zero notification? I assumed it would be added to a queue, not stop the Forza download in its tracks.

The system has alot of dumb idiosyncracies like that.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
You mean like how I started to install Forza first, then decided to redeem my gears of war code while I waited, and automagically it decides to stop the Forza download and prioritize the gears of war download with zero notification? I assumed it would be added to a queue, not stop the Forza download in its tracks.

OK, so again, something that's likely a one-time issue happened, and you're acting as if the sky is falling...while completely ignoring every other point I made against your rant of buyer's remorse that really just seems like buyer's remorse, rather than meaningful problems with the system.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

Uh, no...there is notification. If you did it through the UI, it asks you if you want to download. It assumes that you taking direct action means "download this instead, now" - and I can see both sides of an argument there, but it isn't like it just preempts the existing download with no reason. It then drops you in the downloads tab of all your apps/games/downloads. It does one download at a time, and I believe it pauses the download if you start a game needing network access.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
for the record i've had 1 ps4 controller die on me, it wouldn't hold a charge, and it wouldn't even work plugged in. it was during warranty so i got a new one for free from sony.

even worse though is the controller dies even when you're not using it. i'll charge it fully, not use my ps4 for like a month, then it will be dead next time i go to use it. really annoying.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I greatly prefer my PS4 over my One from a usability standpoint, such as the menu.

Controllers are also largely a toss up, with the PS4 getting a slight edge for comfort and having a Dpad that isn't so loud you can hear it from space.
The PS4 controller life though is awful. If I play two games of Madden, it's down to one "bar". It feels like a third of the amount of time the PS3 dualshocks stayed charged.

On the other hand, I haven't had to download any "updates" for the PS4 controller yet, like I did for the One the other day. Not a huge deal, but an update for a controller? Really? Another 3-5 minutes just sitting on the download screen with strict orders not to move the controller at all or press any buttons.:|

All that said, frankly, (and here comes the cliche), but....it's all about the games. A few niggling issues here or there are not going to dissuade me from one console or another if the actual software is there that I want, and can't get elsewhere.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I greatly prefer my PS4 over my One from a usability standpoint, such as the menu.

Controllers are also largely a toss up, with the PS4 getting a slight edge for comfort and having a Dpad that isn't so loud you can hear it from space.
The PS4 controller life though is awful. If I play two games of Madden, it's down to one "bar". It feels like a third of the amount of time the PS3 dualshocks stayed charged.

On the other hand, I haven't had to download any "updates" for the PS4 controller yet, like I did for the One the other day. Not a huge deal, but an update for a controller? Really? Another 3-5 minutes just sitting on the download screen with strict orders not to move the controller at all or press any buttons.:|

All that said, frankly, (and here comes the cliche), but....it's all about the games. A few niggling issues here or there are not going to dissuade me from one console or another if the actual software is there that I want, and can't get elsewhere.

3-5 minutes? You still on dialup? Mine updated in 10-20 seconds or so. Also, if it is 3-5 minutes, go grab a glass of water, take a leak, whatever. You do it ONE TIME...

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
3-5 minutes? You still on dialup? Mine updated in 10-20 seconds or so. Also, if it is 3-5 minutes, go grab a glass of water, take a leak, whatever. You do it ONE TIME...

Really? Because I'd been playing Forza for several days, with no "controller update".
Then haven't touched the system in about two weeks, go to install Tomb Raider, and after the system update, I'm told the controller needs one as well. But apparently it was fine for every time before I played Forza.

And yes, I'm on dial-up...:rolleyes:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
GRRR! My console preference is better than YOUR console preference and you're stupid for thinking otherwise! You guys are funny

I haven't used the xbox one yet, but the PS4 UI is pretty awful. I can't imagine it being even worse on the xbox. I can't even turn my controller off without scrolling through 3 menus or so. Press and hold playstation button, scroll down and select "adjust devices", then scroll to your controller and select it, then select "turn off device". What a pain.

That said, outside of the menus I'm pretty happy with the system itself. The controller is better than the PS3 controller (except in battery life) but it's nowhere near as comfortable as the 360 controller was.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
GRRR! My console preference is better than YOUR console preference and you're stupid for thinking otherwise! You guys are funny

I haven't used the xbox one yet, but the PS4 UI is pretty awful. I can't imagine it being even worse on the xbox. I can't even turn my controller off without scrolling through 3 menus or so. Press and hold playstation button, scroll down and select "adjust devices", then scroll to your controller and select it, then select "turn off device". What a pain.

That said, outside of the menus I'm pretty happy with the system itself. The controller is better than the PS3 controller (except in battery life) but it's nowhere near as comfortable as the 360 controller was.

EDIT nm...misread.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I've recently gotten both consoles. Graphics on both finally look comparable to what i've seen on pc for years.

They both also suck in the same ways. Even though 99% of my library is disc, they insist on installing entire disc contents to the console not only taking forever before you can play something the first time but making a joke of the including storage space. Both UIs have taken a step backwards since the previous releases.

Lack of batter pack doesn't bother me for the xb1 though as if you buy any charger stand it is generally included in that.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I've recently gotten both consoles. Graphics on both finally look comparable to what i've seen on pc for years.

They both also suck in the same ways. Even though 99% of my library is disc, they insist on installing entire disc contents to the console not only taking forever before you can play something the first time but making a joke of the including storage space. Both UIs have taken a step backwards since the previous releases.

Lack of batter pack doesn't bother me for the xb1 though as if you buy any charger stand it is generally included in that.

You can generally start fooling around in single player in 18-30seconds on PS4. It will install parts of the game you click on. Hover over Multiplayer and it starts installing multiplayer.

XBOX one you sit in the dashboard and derp for 30 minutes.

I just now got a 435mb Forza update right. I was tuning cars and go to join multiplayer and I'm not connected. So I restart the entire system (instead of just the game like I can on PS4) only for it to just then begin with the 435mb update. PS4 downloads that shit in the background as you play. I'm so used to the convenience of the background downloader on PS4.

Last edited: