Registering a game with steam, what are the implications?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I have company of heros and opposing fronts, both in DVD cases bought from a website, apparently i can register these with steam. What does that mean, i get all the updates through steam but its totally locked into steam from now on? Could i still play the game without steam? I havent registered it with steam yet because i dont know what will happen.

darom

Dec 3, 2002
You won't be able to sell your legally purchased games. Unless you are willing to give away your account to someone. But this part is against the Steam's Acceptable Use.

Glavinsolo

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Maximilian
I have company of heros and opposing fronts, both in DVD cases bought from a website, apparently i can register these with steam. What does that mean, i get all the updates through steam but its totally locked into steam from now on? Could i still play the game without steam? I havent registered it with steam yet because i dont know what will happen.

Could i still play the game without steam? YES

I havent registered it with steam yet because i dont know what will happen.

It simply adds that game to your game list. If you already have a CoH THQ login you can still use this however you may not see any saved games that you have but your rank will still be in place.

And what darom said. You won't be able to resell this item.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
If you reg it with Steam, can't you then download it via Steam if you lose the install media?

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
No idea. My only experience goes with retail Valve games and that goes without saying that you would be able download them via steam.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I have Company of Heroes Gold, purchased through Steam. The games are tied to Steam, I can download through Steam, I can't resell, but I don't need Steam running to be able to play.
Company of Heroes uses RelicOnline (and your CD key) to authenticate your game when you are connected to the internet.
If it can't authenticate (because Relic Online is down, or you are not connected to the internet), then it attempts to validate media. It can only validate media by you running the game through Steam, whereupon the single player component will work, but obviously not the online part.

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
You can just link the application through the steam interface, by adding "a non steam game." I use the steam interface instead of cluttering up my desktop with all the links to my other games and it works well. No need to actually register the game, although I am not sure whether or not you can still shift + tab to use steam communication while a non-steam game is running.