Regarding our previous post about use of the word, "gay"

AnandTech Moderator

Staff member
Oct 12, 1999
We have considered the input from the members. This is to let you know we are relaxing the position we posted, earlier.

The point of the post was that we want our members to consider that the careless, unthinking use of language can be hurtful to others, regardless of your intended meaning. Whether or not you know who they are, we have several gay members who are respected, contributors to these forums. You post with them. You laugh with them. You share your thoughts with them.

It is not negative or hostile when you use the word, "gay" to refer to someone who is homosexual. That is how they refer to themselves. Generalizing the word to mean something generally negative is different. It dehumanizes that group just because they are different from yourself. That is unfair to that group human beings. Think about how you would feel if some word that referred to you and your friends was used in that way.

Other than that, it has been a rough day with a lot of troll activity, so we probably overstated the point.

We will leave this thread open for discussion as long as it remains civil.

Valhalla1

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I just want to say that its good to see you reversed the (IMO) bone-headed decision to ban "gay".

it was just a bad idea for so many reasons and would cause a LOT more problems than someone casually calling something gay would cause.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I'm sure it is much appreciated, no need to go over the edge when there is really no problem

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
/me gives Mod a back rub...

---

Me stretches out and accepts back rub. It's been a hard day at the forums.

The Frazzled Mod

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

reposted from what i posted at another board:
saying something is "gay" like it sucks is a direct insult to homosexual people. you are using the term that classifies the community as an insulting term. the title of this thread for example is putting down AT by using the term "gay" hence meaning that being gay is a bad thing.

being gay isnt a bad thing, despite what any of you personally believe and being called gay shouldnt be an insult.
((and yes i am telling you that your opinon is WRONG if you believe being gay is a bad thing))

im not saying that banning is necessary but i think people should think twice before using the term.

think about it.
*kat.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001

<< and yes i am telling you that your opinon is WRONG if you believe being gay is a bad thing >>

Yeah, I guess the way that things have been going on since the beginning of time is wrong (no offense intended)

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Of all the posts I've seen tonight regarding the sbuject, no one I've seen has thought you mods had your hearts in the wrong place. I did, and still do see your point, and support your position on the subject.

Mikal

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2001
I think most people here know that some words are offensive to others and will try to be civil. Most, people.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000

<< Me stretches out and accepts back rub. It's been a hard day at the forums. >>

Well, I know that today was a day off for some students... and next Monday is a day off for students in the States... and school is about to let out for the summer in some parts... and we all know what THAT means... :p

Maybe you can get a transfer to that Modding job in Tahiti. :)

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
<<Well, I know that today was a day off for some students... and next Monday is a day off for students in the States... and school is about to let out for the summer in some parts... and we all know what THAT means>>

Shhh Isla, you're gonna scare the mods, and they've had a hard day already. ;)

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Merkat -- Last time I checked, communism was a political and economic system, and not a very good one, at that. The shear stupidity of your remark in this context defies description. :Q

PistachioByAzul

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
the title of this thread for example is putting down AT by using the term &quot;gay&quot; hence meaning that being gay is a bad thing.

Grow up.

((and yes i am telling you that your opinon is WRONG if you believe being gay is a bad thing))

Grow up some more. You're opinion is right, bar none, huh? People like you are dangerous.

SiliconVandal

Banned
Nov 17, 2000
<< I think most people here know that some words are offensive to others and will try to be civil. Most, people. >>

That doesn't include me.....does it? :)