Regarding Blockbuster: What does Gold Member mean?

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
My friend told me that I was one sick puppy for being a gold member, now that he works for blockbuster. He said that in order to be a gold member, you have to have more than 1,000 video rentals. Is this true? Do any of you have gold membership? I have been noticing I get a lot more free movies now, but never did I think that I have rented that many movies.

Sigh,
Paul

Hyper99

Banned
Jun 14, 2000
Never rented much from blockbuster, it get expensive thought.
I feel losses when I rent something that isn't so good and money is
down the drain.
I think gold membership mean you can rent at any blockbuster without
having to apply again.

My uncle got gold membership without renting 1000
He just paid more for membership I guess like 25 bucks.
So that maybe it.

Crysla

Banned
Jan 26, 2000
I am a gold member....I rented 100 in a year, and now as long as I rent 100 a year, I do not have to pay the yearly membership fee of $9.99 and you can also reserve movies which you cannot do otherwise at blockbuster.....and that info is straight from the membership kit......1000 my ass.:)

Princess;)

PS: Of course a regular membership to Blockbuster is still free....we are talking about the plus membership that earns you points towards free movies.

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
I never paid anything...I originally had the blue card, then I got the Gold card in the mail. I didn't read the info, because I lost both my Blue cards. I got two gold cards in the mail, yet only one survives:D

100 movies a year is pretty tough too...I don't think I can do it...especially with all the crap out right now

Paul

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ok here is how it goes.

Regular Account- Free. Two forms of ID needed.

Rewards Accounts- Blue and Gold.

Blue- 9.95 a year. With this membership...every 5 you rent you get your 6th one free. Mon-Thurs anytime you rent a movie you get a free Blockbuster Favorites rental. Each month you get a coupon in the mail for a free rental.

Gold- There is not a set goal of movies to rent. Kind of like the elite on this board. It just happens. You get more free rentals.

thumper

Oct 9, 1999
When I worked there in 96, the Gold cards were sort of like the "Elite Membership" cards.

-Unlimited Rentals
-No Late Fees
-Reservations

They were very few and far between. Mostly the higher ups in the BBV/Viacom executive suite had them so I only had the opportunity to see one in my lifetime there. I *think* back then there were about 20-30 in existance.

Apparently, that has all changed.

-t

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
Blockbuster's prices are out of this F**king world, too bad there are no good movie stores around my area except for BB.