Refurbished Sparkle 300watt PSU from Newegg - Beware

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
makes me wonder about my ABS Silver 1050W PSU. Newegg dumped the last of them for $130, list price was $260.

Edit: I was using it for my overclocked 1045T rig with dual GTX460 cards. Seemed to be fine to me.

crazymonkeyzero

Feb 25, 2012
Not to sound mean or anything, but why would you buy a used PSU (and a Sparkle at that) in the first place? That's probably the one component I computer component I would never buy used ...along with hard drives, which are the two components in a computer with the shortest life span and highest rma rates (so I have been told to believe) You could have picked up a brand new diablotek for $7 more...

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Not to sound mean or anything, but why would you buy a used PSU (and a Sparkle at that) in the first place? That's probably the one component I computer component I would never buy used...along with hard drives. You could have picked up a brand new diablotek for $7 more...

Old sparkle units were actually quality FSP branded units. They sold them as a retail box and OEM, the OEM units had crap caps on them while the retail boxed units used brands such as Nichicon, Rubycon, Nippon Chemicon etc. The OEM ones were packed with Teapo, gluxon, OST, an Fuhjyuu. (Fuhjyuu being the absolute worst)

I do believe there were 2 sparkle brands. SPI and actual Sparkle. I am talking about SPI which is a decent brand.

BTW Diablotek manufactures gutless wonders like Powmax did. This 300w Sparkle unit is actually pretty heavy and has all the necessary protections to prevent hardware failure.

Last edited:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Are you going to recap it? Even if it doesn't work, fun little project.

Yeah, I think I will recap it soon. I am trying to figure out which ones I should recap and which ones I should leave alone. I know I will be replacing all the Fuhjyuu caps at least.