Refurbished Laptop Advice

elsmandino

Jul 19, 2009
Hi there.

I would be really grateful for some general advice on buying a laptop to replace my current desktop PC.

One of the main motivations is space - my wife and I both now work from home and we have a really tiny office.

We are thinking of taking it in turns to use the office, whilst the other one works at a breakfast bar.

My current tower is connected to two external monitors and there are a couple of external speakers as well.

I was hoping that I could put one of the monitors in the kitchen, so we could each have an external monitor.

I will look to sell the tower but not sure how much I will get for it (i3-2105 system with 8GB Ram).

Is it advisable to consider a refurbished laptop, rather than something brand new?

I have quite a limited budget (£300 but could push this up a little bit).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You need two refurb laptops, for 300? (Not familiar with Euro pricing.)

Newegg.com often had HP Elitebook G3 laptops with 8GB RAM and an SSD for USD $199 from third party corporate asset recovery / refurbishers.

You might be lucky to get $50 for a desktop rig that old.

Reactions: elsmandino

elsmandino

Jul 19, 2009
Sorry guys - my earlier post was a bit unclear.

Just the one laptop I am after - budget equates to about $400.

Whilst I do love the mini PCs, I need two screens for my job and thus will have go down the laptop route with an exernal monitor plugged in.

elsmandino

Jul 19, 2009
Unfortunately, we are so short of space that we only have room for one external monitor - I was hoping to just plug that into a laptop and then put everything away at the end of the day.

elsmandino

Jul 19, 2009
Thanks for this - good to know I am going down the right route with the Thinkpads.

I found a deal on a Lenovo ThickPad L580 that looks pretty good - 240GB SSD, 16GB RAM, i5-8350U, Windows 11 Standard for £352.50.

Has a few scratches on it (advertised as Grade C) but does come with 1 year warranty.

Do you think this looks worth considering?

I am a bit out of touch with CPUs (especially mobile ones) but 8th generation still seems to be pretty good in this day and age.

kingrobert

Jul 7, 2022
In my opinion, If you are giving money for a refurbished piece so why not we could give some more money and buy a new one because refurbished pieces don't have a day's warranty.

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Refurbished laptops purchased from the Dell Outlet have a 1-year warranty. This is true in the US. Looks like this is true in Europe, too. Would double-check for your country, though.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I can't get the Dell Outlet to localize to Canada.

The functional equivalent (https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/faq) shows a 100 day warranty for systems.

That isn't the Dell Outlet. Dellrefurbished is the sales arm of Dell Financial Services, which re-sells off-lease computer equipment.

That being said, you can pay like $49 and get the warranty extended for a year. Catch a sale, and sometimes the price for the extended warranties are less than that.