Refurb HP TG01-0023w Pavilion Gaming Ryzen 5 3500 3.59GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB $459 shipped

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I bought some thermal pads from grizzly. I forgot the name but they are supposed to cool really well.
I’ve been meaning to change the putty like thermal compound on my x570 above the NVME.
Would you need a solution like that for an Xbox?
I am not even certain I can make it all fit yet. These types of projects inevitably have quirks and issues to solve. That may well end up being one of them. The Inland is not a high performance drive, so hopefully will not run that hot. Especially since I run the games from an External usb-c SSD.

I may try to sell it first. Really only looking to get my money back for the APU, ram, NVME, and shipping cost. The case, PSU, win 10 home, and board are basically free. The 1650 super and 3500 sell for more at the moment, than the whole PC costs.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Here is it what the current config looks like running

hp gaming.jpg

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Gotta say:
Irritates the crap out of me how the fan is not square with the memory.
The bottom is round and does not contact the whole IHS either.

And the 360 mod won't work, the I/O orientation would be on the sides, not front and rear.

Oh well, still a fun project. Fallout 4 is a fail, even 720p low. Okay until heavy action, then it tanked to 17fps. Halo CE enhanced graphics plays great. Fallout New Vegas runs on a toaster so it did fine there. Going to try Mad Max, that is a pretty well optimized title.

Feb 4, 2009
The bottom is round and does not contact the whole IHS either.

And the 360 mod won't work, the I/O orientation would be on the sides, not front and rear.

Oh well, still a fun project. Fallout 4 is a fail, even 720p low. Okay until heavy action, then it tanked to 17fps. Halo CE enhanced graphics plays great. Fallout New Vegas runs on a toaster so it did fine there. Going to try Mad Max, that is a pretty well optimized title.

Why not change the cooler with some mid priced tower thing. Just be aware of clearance.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
Why not change the cooler with some mid priced tower thing. Just be aware of clearance.
That would be hard to do because the holes in motherboard are designed for a proprietary fan. I woudn't swear to it, but it looks to me like their AMD CPU cooler is interchangeable with an Intel CPU cooler. I suppose you could try to use an Intel CPU cooler, but the holes in the motherboard are larger than the standard size, so any mod would have to take that into account. The easiest thing to do might be to use the heatsink and replace the fan with a round 92mm fan that has the same mounting holes as an 80mm fan. I suggest removing the fan from a retail AMD CPU cooler (Stealth or Wraith, whichever you prefer). Use good heatsink paste such as Noctua NT-H1 since the contact with the CPU is limited.

Personally, I happen to like those AVC 80mm coolers. They're slow and quiet when the CPU is idle and they can move a lot of air when the CPU temperature goes up. The thing I hate is there doesn't seem to be any BIOS-level fan control, and the fan doesn't speed up until the CPU is too hot for my taste.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Changing the cooler should be no big deal. The holes line up with the stock Intel cooler. Use the AMD spacers from the Noctua kit. The Intel variant requires12mm M2 screws with washers. Probably be the 10mm for AMD, I will let you know.

That's the plan brother. A good noctua with a big slow fan will knock 10c off temps easily.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Well that worked a treat. Had the perfect screws in a parts drawer. No idea what kit they came from, but it leads me to conclude the entire mounting system is all standard Intel. The Intel spacers and brackets, along with these 2M screws is perfect. Peaked at 51c after 15 minutes of CPU-Z stress test.

12S Redux it too tall, but is was only for proof of concept. HWinfo adds an extra digit to fan speeds so the APU is 700rpm max and the case 480rpm.

IMG_20210621_141022.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210621_141033.jpg
    IMG_20210621_141033.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 13
Feb 4, 2009
Well that worked a treat. Had the perfect screws in a parts drawer. No idea what kit they came from, but it leads me to conclude the entire mounting system is all standard Intel. The Intel spacers and brackets, along with these 2M screws is perfect. Peaked at 51c after 15 minutes of CPU-Z stress test.

12S Redux it too tall, but is was only for proof of concept. HWinfo adds an extra digit to fan speeds so the APU is 700rpm max and the case 480rpm.

View attachment 46048

Excellent news and it sort of makes sense, a big operation doesn't want to stock two different sets of coolers, brackets and screws and so on. Totally makes sense it is all intel mounting.

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007

I'm glad to hear it worked for you. That's a great "under load" temp. I still think the original cooler could do its job if you could find a way to manage the speed control properly. (By default, it spins at around 500rpm and then jumps to about 1100rpm when the CPU temp hits 70 C.) Are you letting the Ryzen software control that, or do you have a different utility program?

Also, it's a good thing you had the right parts on hand. Some people might not be so lucky. :)

For what it's worth, I wouldn't call the mounting hardware "standard Intel". I don't think you could replace the HP cooler with an Intel retail box cooler (not that I ever would).

Excellent news and it sort of makes sense, a big operation doesn't want to stock two different sets of coolers, brackets and screws and so on. Totally makes sense it is all intel mounting.
Agreed. I didn't attempt to swap out coolers to test my observation, but going just by eye, the current CPU cooler for the AMD unit looks a lot like the Intel coolers I saw in HP ProDesk minitowers from years ago (G1 - Haswell, G2 - Skylake). The HP part numbers have probably changed, but the parts appear to be interchangeable even six generations later. Maybe there's some difference in the PWM fan speed controller. I wouldn't know. (I just know that HP has never seemed to have any BIOS options to control fan speed and it's very annoying.) Lenovo also seems to be using the same coolers for 9th gen Coffee Lake CPUs as they did for 3rd gen Ivy Bridge processors (again, just going by the appearance of the heatsinks and mounting hardware).

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The fan speed is a ? because HWinfo misreports it. I am assuming it is adding an extra digit making it appear to be over 6 and 7 thousand rpm for the APU. It could be off even without that extra digit, so may not really be running 700rpm. And the temps are great, but this cooler is too tall by a good bit. I avoid all OEM bloatware, so I don't know if the OMEN software allows fan control or not? On that topic: It installed HP telemetry software all by itself, on a clean install of 10. Run -services.msc- disabled all of it. Sneaky little buggers.

And you are right, the backplate is not stock. That was a poor choice of words on my part. I have not taken the board out, but I saw pics of other HPs and it appears to be glued or riveted? on. On the upside, you can get M2 screws at your local hardware store, Amazon, Ebay, etc. I will measure the ones I am using when I pull the Noctua off, I think they are 20mm. The girl on youtube added the Noctua L9 series to one of the Intel HP models. She used the M2 12mm. It would have probably saved me some turning of the screwdriver, because the Intel and AMD spacers differ only in diameters, they are the same height. I think a down draft is the best choice, because the VRMs could use the air flow.

And I was thinking the same thing you guys are; could probably hunt up a beefier cooler from an HP system on Ebay and screw it right on. I will not bother modding a different fan to the current stock heatsink, as I don't like that it is round and does not cover the whole IHS. Being able to control the fan speeds would be a big help though.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
I avoid all OEM bloatware, so I don't know if the OMEN software allows fan control or not? On that topic: It installed HP telemetry software all by itself, on a clean install of 10. Run -services.msc- disabled all of it. Sneaky little buggers.
I don't like the HP bloatware and telemetry crap either. I wiped the SSD and installed Windows 10 from an image I downloaded from Microsoft without any extra crap, just the usual stuff from Microsoft I like to disable or get rid of. The embedded license key was recognized and it runs fine.

EDIT: I did use a few drivers from HP's website (Realtek audio, Realtek LAN, wifi, Bluetooth, SD card reader) and others from the manufacturer's website (AMD chipset, AMD Adrenalin).

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
<DEAD> Please read entire post and the posts following this post.

HP tg01-0023w Pavilion Gaming Ryzen 5 3600 3.59GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 10 Refurb Grade A $253.80 with 10% Off

happy4thsale coupon

Hurry if interested. I saw this on slickdeals.

Edit: This is probably the 3500 and the same PC as in the OP.

Edit 2: The url says it's an entirely different PC.

Code:
https://vipoutlet.com/product/hp-m01-f0033w-desktop-tower-amd-ryzen-3-3200g-3-6-ghz-8-gb-ram-1-tb-7200rpm-sata-hd-amd-radeon-vega-8-graphics-windows-10-home/?source=pepperjam&publisherId=18097&clickId=3618598525

I took screen shots of the product page plus my email confirmation says 3600 with the 1650 super.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Bummer, the merchant note they included with my order says do not honor. I think that means it was rejected?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
My order said "No Reason Phrase" in red above personal information but I received alerts my card had been charged and after about 2 minutes I got the order email confirmation.

The product name in the email says 3600 so if it doesn't come with the 3600 someone said we may be able to ask for a discount. I also think they have free returns.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
My order said "No Reason Phrase" in red above personal information but I received alerts my card had been charged and after about 2 minutes I got the order email confirmation.

The product name in the email says 3600 so if it doesn't come with the 3600 someone said we may be able to ask for a discount. I also think they have free returns.
I got the "no reason phrase" also.
My CC was also charged but no email so far.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I got the "no reason phrase" also.
My CC was also charged but no email so far.
Some are saying it took as long as 15 minutes. I called about 3 min. after my order and the rep couldn't even see my order yet to verify if it went through. I'm getting the mass cancellation feeling with this deal.

Feb 4, 2009

Just be careful, link specs indicate 3200G, 7,200 hard drive and integrated AMD graphics

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Got mine off of ebay, but look up the UPC code listed under "item specifics". Yeah, we all got F'ed hard by VIPOutlet.
3200G with 1TB HDD, no GPU (Onboard).
vip outlet screws up again - cropped.png

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Just be careful, link specs indicate 3200G, 7,200 hard drive and integrated AMD graphics
Not the link I clicked on.

HP tg01-0023w Pavilion Gaming Ryzen 5 3600 3.59GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 10 Home Black

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I noticed that after I placed my order and from reading the SD topic. Not too big of a problem when they have free returns with free shipping both ways. I figure they will have a mass cancellation and if not I'll know what they are shipping before it arrives so I can just refuse the shipment when it arrives.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Not the link I clicked on.

HP tg01-0023w Pavilion Gaming Ryzen 5 3600 3.59GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 10 Home Black
Your url said that? In my original post I edited it with the URL in the code box for everyone to see and it was the 3200G. The description however was for a 3600 and 1650 super. I took screenshots in case I need them later lol.

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Your url said that? In my original post I edited it with the URL in the code box for everyone to see and it was the 3200G. The description however was for a 3600 and 1650 super. I took screenshots in case I need them later lol.
Hah, ok I never looked at the URL, only where your link took me.

The link still shows the 3600 and the 1650 but its OOS now.

BTW, my email finally showed up and apparently I'll get one.
I checked my order from the VIP website and it does show :

HP tg01-0023w Pavilion Gaming Ryzen 5 3600 3.59GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 10 Home Black Condition: GRADE A
  • Ship to: me
  • $277.59 Price

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I took a screenshot of the website and of my order in my account as well.