Refresh rate no longer works?

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
For some reason now when I select 75 Hz the normal way, the monitor says out of range. When forcing 75 Hz in RivaTuner (verified it is 75 Hz via OSD), it works fine. Why is this? Where are the modes stored and where can I set the exact frequency I want it to use? Also, does VSync use the overridden refresh rate to sync to display or does it use the reported Windows one?

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
The modes are stored in the registry, perhaps the resolution was incorrect when you tried to set the refresh?

Vsync works with the forced refresh rate at least in my experience.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
I'm pretty sure I had 1280x1024 selected. Well, this is long story and this'll sound kind of stupid, but:

I had noticed my mouse was quite jerky so I wanted to increase the refresh rate "virtually". I added (softly) a 240 Hz mode with the NVIDIA thing and it seemed to ease up the mouse because it tricked Windows. Well next reboot my dirty hack didn't want to work. Windows came up then I saw out-of-range. So I pressed reset and rebooted Windows with VGA mode. Then I removed the custom refresh rate when I had the chance. So then I selected it back to 75 Hz just like it always was. And it still said out-of-range. With the advanced timing control, I put in 75 Hz on the vertical and it applies just fine, verified with monitor OSD and everything that it's 75 hz. Has the default selection labeled 75 Hz been somehow coerced into a couple hertz too high for my monitor? I'm not sure how this would just happen out-of-the-blue.

It's impossible to have a different horizontal rate with same vertical refresh and same v/h resolution right (even with an LCD on DVI)? I'll try reinstalling video drivers and see what happens.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: xtknight
I'm pretty sure I had 1280x1024 selected. Well, this is long story and this'll sound kind of stupid, but:

I had noticed my mouse was quite jerky so I wanted to increase the refresh rate "virtually". I added (softly) a 240 Hz mode with the NVIDIA thing and it seemed to ease up the mouse because it tricked Windows. Well next reboot my dirty hack didn't want to work. Windows came up then I saw out-of-range. So I pressed reset and rebooted Windows with VGA mode. Then I removed the custom refresh rate when I had the chance. So then I selected it back to 75 Hz just like it always was. And it still said out-of-range. With the advanced timing control, I put in 75 Hz on the vertical and it applies just fine, verified with monitor OSD and everything that it's 75 hz. Has the default selection labeled 75 Hz been somehow coerced into a couple hertz too high for my monitor? I'm not sure how this would just happen out-of-the-blue.

It may have had something to do with your custom setting alright. I now I had difficulty figuring out the custom tmming support in Forceware, but attributed it to my lack of knowlege using Nvidia drivers.

Should be a driver reinstall away from fixing the registry entries, so maybe just do a re-install to fix it.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Interesting...the NVIDIA driver didn't reinstall properly for some reason (it still listed VGA compatible but this time with a yellow warning).

Now I get this at boot-up:

nv4_mini.sys DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS
STOP: 0x000000CE (0xB9A57D50, 0x00000008, 0xB9A57D50, 0x00000000)

Driver Cleaner+latest beta driver time I guess. I'm not sure what happened to this thing. I just reinstalled XP yesterday too...

edit: spelled error correctly

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
gahhh wtf!

I guess the latest nForce 4 chipset drivers are incompatible with the latest video drivers. What a PITA.... time to reinstall again.

Update:

Alright now 75 Hz works. Lesson learned: don't install nForce 4 6.70 chipset drivers with any ForceWare video drivers. And for some reason my mouse is smooth again, and video card fan turns to its appropriate speed again. Those chipset drivers truly sucked...

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: xtknight
gahhh wtf!

I guess the latest nForce 4 chipset drivers are incompatible with the latest video drivers. What a PITA.... time to reinstall again.

Update:

Alright now 75 Hz works. Lesson learned: don't install nForce 4 6.70 chipset drivers with any ForceWare video drivers. And for some reason my mouse is smooth again, and video card fan turns to its appropriate speed again. Those chipset drivers truly sucked...

what drivers do you use if not the offcial nforce ones? i want to be able to avoid problems like this in the future.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
SonicIce: my best advice to you is not to install the nForce drivers at all for Storage/IDE, and not ones newer than 6.53. Under both circumstances those screwed me up.

I use atapi.sys for my SATA drives now, that is, the default Windows driver. The nForce controller integrates emulation so that native ATA signals still are compatible with it even to SATA drives. That's why there's no F6 drivers at the XP install. For ethernet and SMBus, nForce 6.53. I do not use any nForce integrated audio.