Question Refilling a RAID controller with pre-configured RAID5 disks

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Hi,

I have a question regarding RAID 5 on an HP Smart Array E200i.

Let's say I have 3 disks in RAID 5 configuration, and I want to disconnect them (to keep data safe), and reconnect new ones for testing some configs.

Then, latter, I want to place the original 3 disks in and I want the smart array to identify them as in the same set of RAID 5, and not clean them up or anything.

Is this possible? (It should be, and it would be the case if for instance I need to exchange a faulty raid controller for a new one, but keeping the configuration and data stored.)

Thanks

nosirrahx

Mar 24, 2018
When dealing with RAID arrays always assume it will break and take precautions to mitigate this possibility.

That said, RAID data is stored on the drives themselves and usually this is all you need for the controller to set the RAID back up without losing data.

Reactions: kurosaki

kurosaki

Feb 7, 2019
It's a shame Microsoft nerfed win 10 by cutting ReFS off home and pro. There was this resilient self-healing filesystem with options for mirroring 2 or three way. Now it's only ntfs, no caching functions. Guess they will deprecate the storage managing GUI completely with next autumn update.. but if you are on win server 2016, there's still nice options for resilient software raid..

Last edited: