References from Competitor

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
Say I have an interview with McDonalds. I used to work at Burger King. I have listed I worked at BK when I applied for a job at McD.

If McD's asks for references, would it be business-appropriate to include one from my previous employer (BK), especially if they are a competitor in the same industry?

Substitute McD and BK for Chevron and BP, or Ford and Toyota, etc.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
oh yes, it proves that you know the industry. It also gives them a direct look at what to expect from you in the future.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Zolty
oh yes, it proves that you know the industry. It also gives them a direct look at what to expect from you in the future.

But they would be calling their direct competitor... and then my former boss knows I'm going over to the enemy.. :) BUt otherwise all legit?

I'm worried that my former boss would talk smack to prevent me from going over (but I exceeded all workplans and contracts, so I doubt it..)

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Well, if your former boss was some greasy fast food manager I'd be kind of worried, but I'd think any professional would keep the smack talking to a minimum.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
if they are in a profesional field they would want you for the fact you know the competition...if its in the fast food service industry it shows you have experience in the industry thus could be a great asset. either way id think it would be a win/win situation for you and the employer.

compnovice

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2005
If you don't trust your boss to give a good recommendation dont use him as a reference.. Being from a competing firm would not usually be a big deal...

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: compnovice
If you don't trust your boss to give a good recommendation dont use him as a reference.. Being from a competing firm would not usually be a big deal...

Good, thanks guys. :) Any experiences on people that have put past competition on their references?