Reference 7970 GPU Backbrace

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
I have two reference Sapphire 7970's from two different vendors and times. the First has a bracket mounted around the core - like this
14-102-961-05.jpg

This one shows as "Built by AMD" and shows "ATI" as subvendor is GPUz

Card 2 does NOT have the back bracket and shows as "Powered by AMD" subvendor Sapphire/PC Partner.

both Cards have the AMD logo above the pci-e connector and the PCB are completely identical.....

Question is, is their a missing brace on the second card or is it just an unnecessary part that Sapphire omitted after using up the original reference cards built by AMD themselves?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
It's an unnecessary part that Sapphire ommitted. Other than the reference cards, back braces on Tahiti parts are rare.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
It's an unnecessary part that Sapphire ommitted. Other than the reference cards, back braces on Tahiti parts are rare.

Forgive my ignorance by why do you think they are unnecessary? And if they were, why would AMD have them in the first place?

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Forgive my ignorance by why do you think they are unnecessary? And if they were, why would AMD have them in the first place?
Because virtually every 7970 on the market would be faulty if they were necessary.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
The one without the brace has longer screws through the back of the card. I thought maybe it was some kind of protector for a crossfire setup. I guess my original worry was that it was what was holding the heat sink on the core.... Card temps are identical though...

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
If anyone else has an explanation for the lack of back braces on some cards, I'd like to hear it, because I'm really curious.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
The only way I see it is that it distributes even pressure when mounting the cooler onto the GPU.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Isn't it like spine-braces? Where yeah, it WORKS if you don't have one but the card may last a little longer if you DO have one...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3917/...-palit-and-calibre-overclocked-and-reviewed/2
The spines in that article are the stiffeners that keep PCBs from flexing. That's not the case here.

Other than discouraging you from fully driving in the screw for one corner of a cooler first, I can't think of any reason that a backbrace would be necessary here. 4 independent screws is just as good if you know what you're doing (which since these are professionally manufactured, they do).