Redundant PSU question

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I have a server with redundant PSU, it's one of those Supermicro 24 bay cases. One PSU is plugged into UPS power and the other is in a surge bar straight to mains.

I was checking something at my electrical panel and turned it off and on a few times in that process. Came to see that the server rebooted despite being on UPS. The other servers seem fine. Server had been up for nearly 2 years, and been through plenty of power bumps.

Anyone know what could have caused this to happen? Could the brownout/surge on the non UPS power supply actually have caused an issue? Should I maybe just plug both PSUs into the UPS? Eventually I want to look at a dual conversion setup, so I would then have one plugged into their own inverters.

Both PSUs are also operating fine. I closed the breaker at the server room panel to see if the server actually dies but it does not. It's like if it took some kind of brownout or surge hit. At one point when I threw the switch it kinda arced since it's hard to push it all the way and I was not pushing hard enough.

Anything I can do to prevent this in the future?