Reduce vibration noises in my case?

Discussion in 'Cases & Cooling' started by KingstonU, Feb 19, 2008.

1. KingstonU

KingstonU Golden Member

So my computer regularly has this annoying vibration sound, like a mosquito, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to stop it.

When I press a finger against the side of the case the buzzing goes away, when I remove the finger the buzzing sound is back, so I just take off the side of the case and that takes the noise away, but after about 10 minutes the sound is back again. If I put a light weight on top of the case (a backpack) the noise will again go away but will come back after 10 minutes.

Any ideas or suggestions to make it go away permanently?

Thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Reduce vibration noises Forum Date
    case fan replacement causes case to vibrate Cases & Cooling May 8, 2018
    PWM Fan Reduce Minimum RPM? Cases & Cooling Oct 8, 2015
    Help me reduce the fan speed. Cases & Cooling Mar 27, 2015
    Any way to reduce fan speeds without a fan controller? (Coolermaster sickleflow) Cases & Cooling Aug 18, 2013
    Reducing case fan noise Cases & Cooling Jun 27, 2010

3. The Boston Dangler

decoupling moving parts and dynamat on the inside of the case. i would go for decoupling first.

figure out what part(s) are causing the case to vibrate. for fans, rubber screws are great. for hard drives, either mount in a 5 1/4 bay, or get a new, quiet hard drive. also, some cases are just cursed with loudness.

4. Zepper

Zepper Elite Member

Locate the exact source of the noise, determine if it is electrical or mechanical noise, apply the appropriate solution for each.

.bh.

5. wedi42

wedi42 Platinum Member

i have an all aluminum case which use to rattle like crazy,
    until i bend some of the tabs to make the side panel fit tighter

6. Sheninat0r

Sheninat0r Senior member

Butyl rubber mass dampening - you can get sheets of it at McMaster-Carr with adhesive backs, or you can buy stuff like Dynamat, or you can get the rubber they use in cars from a car shop. Another option is to get a composite sound dampening foam made for PCs, like Acoustipack, which will both dampen vibrations and reduce other noise.

Don't get sheets of butyl thicker than about 1/8"... it's VERY dense, and if you used 1/4" of it on the entire interior of your case you'd probably have to have someone help you move your case two feet.

7. Zap

Zap Elite Member

Step 1:

Step 2, if mechanical noise: