RedHat 8.0, setting up a dual-boot with XP Pro?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I'd like to set up my ThinkPad to dual boot between XP Pro and RedHat 8.0, but I definitely don't want to re-format since XP is currently the way I like it, and because I've only got a "recovery" CD so to install XP, the recovery CD will format the HDD.

Can I install RedHat 8.0 with XP already on the machine without loosing my XP setup? If I tell RedHat to "Automatically Partition", will it just create a couple of new partitions, or will it over-write everything? If I chose to manually partition, what size should the root partition and swap partitions be? I'd like to keep the Linux space to 5GB total. Also, does Disk Druid non-destructively re-partition?

ZV

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
The FIRST thing I'd do is make an image of your hd as it is right now. Once you have your backup, use something like Partition Magic to resize your XP partition and then install Linux on the remaining portion of your hd.

cleverhandle

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2001
If you have Drive Image or Ghost, you won't even need Partition Magic. Just image the XP partition to CDR's or another disk, wipe everything out, then create the partitions the way you want them. As long as the image fits the new partition, it will automatically create an NTFS filesystem as you restore the image. To put it a different way, you don't need to format your XP partition before restoring the image. I've always set the partition type to NTFS (#7 I think) using linux fdisk before restoring, but I'm not sure if that's even necessary.

FUBAR

Oct 11, 1999
A guy would think PM would be the easiest way to do things... since the image is only for backup in case something breaks.

But of course... do what your tools allow.