Red tsunami beats the blue wave in State legislatures

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 9, 2009
I'm basing my call of gerrymandering by the recent behaviour of the Trumper party (which is now the new name of the former Republican party, as it's a cult of Trump, and almost nothing more), which has gerrymandered to the extreme whenever possible in the last decades, and the further and more radicalized direction your Trumper party is taking they will only look to abuse redistricting rules wherever possible and everyone with a brain knows that. Here we have one of the architect's of Republican gerrymandering, from 2011: https://apnews.com/article/d53cafafac6b42429a88bb012d34907b

There are a couple or few states where the state's Supreme Court in that state has intervened. And in those states things will be ok, but your party, with its lack of morals or respect for democracy, will gerrymander wherever possible. The Supreme Court ruled 5-4 they would not intervene in gerrymandering cases, saying it was not the federal judiciary's call, but even writing with the majority, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote that partisan gerrymandering did indeed go against democratic principles "“Excessive partisanship in districting leads to results that reasonably seem unjust,” wrote Chief Justice John Roberts in the majority decision. “But the fact that such gerrymandering is incompatible with democratic principles does not mean that the solution lies with the federal judiciary.” " https://theconversation.com/after-supreme-court-decision-gerrymandering-fix-is-up-to-voters-117307

You clearly posted this thread, and defended gerrymandering in another thread actually, because you feel this will be a way Republicans can pick up more seats down the road, by well, gerrymandering. Not by respectable redistricting.

As David Frum wrote,
“ If conservatives become convinced that they can not win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. The will reject democracy.”
― David Frum, Trumpocracy: The Corruption of the American Republic

You are a Trumphumper. You do not believe in democracy if it does not give you power, therefore you will jump for joy at extreme gerrymandering, an anti-democratic practice. Just like I'm sure you continue to support Trump, who is trying to overthrow an election. You are fascists.
You don't get to rename the Republican Party, it's been the Republican Party since 1854 when we opposed the expansion of slavery and Abraham Lincoln became our first Republican President. I like how you pretend that the Democratic Party doesn't take part in massive gerrymandering and lie, cheat and steal to give them every advantage they can. You know they do, but you lie about it.

Even the democrat partisan Daily Beast admits it after a fashion.

The Democrats shit stinks so bad in terms of gerrymandering that i'm surprised you can tell the difference between the 2.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z
Jul 9, 2009
aping newt isn't an excuse for posting month old news. there's nothing new there.

you still can't tell me what south austin, alamo heights, and leakey have in common.
I guess you didn't like my answer in another thread. It's the same answer this time around.

Reactions: Lanyap
Jul 9, 2009
Your system puts districting under partisan political control. That alone makes it a bad system.
What is your idea for a better system? Have partisan judges do it instead? Have partisan committees do it instead? My choice of following the Constitution and having partisan State legislatures do it is still the best solution.

Jul 9, 2009
Cough.. Cough.. Texas gerrymandered voting districts destroys your argument.
Just because you slap a silly little label on something doesn't make it so. Redistricting is redistricting and it's the law...................... unless you don't like the results and then it's big bad evil gerrymandering. boo boo boo

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Just because you slap a silly little label on something doesn't make it so. Redistricting is redistricting and it's the law...................... unless you don't like the results and then it's big bad evil gerrymandering. boo boo boo
I mean at this point even you can't be believing your bullshit, its insulting for anyone you're trying to convince.
Just go back to the "liberal tears" thing, thats childish but at least its not as embarrassing for you as trying to convince everyone you believe what you're saying at the moment.

Reactions: Meghan54
Jul 9, 2009
I mean at this point even you can't be believing your bullshit, its insulting for anyone you're trying to convince.
Just go back to the "liberal tears" thing, thats childish but at least its not as embarrassing for you as trying to convince everyone you believe what you're saying at the moment.
It's a fact. Redistricting is just part of American politics and "gerrymandering" is in the eye of the beholder.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It's a fact. Redistricting is just part of American politics and "gerrymandering" is in the eye of the beholder.
Dude you are so full of shit your eyes have turned brown. You know it, everyone here knows it.
Just get some self respect and stop being an arse just because you haven't got anything better to do.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
What is your idea for a better system? Have partisan judges do it instead? Have partisan committees do it instead? My choice of following the Constitution and having partisan State legislatures do it is still the best solution.

Why do you make such a fetish of the Constitution? You do realise it was drawn up by flawed human beings, right? It's not the direct word of God. I feel like I'm risking losing the audience here, because the over-veneration of that document, and those who wrote it, seems to apply across the US political divide, but I really don't get it, myself - it seems a direct equivalent of the veneration of the Royal Family here, yet I thought you lot fought a revolution to get rid of that kind of deference?

I've seen conservatives on here (maybe it was you?) speak dismissively that 'Democrats can't get elected in the system as it is so they want to change the system to suit them'. Yet surely that logic is precisely the reason why the US came into existence in the first place!

A better system would be to have non-political committees do it, as other democracies do. Still possible to become partisan, but better than having it be fundamentally a political process by design.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
What this means that in 2020, a Census year, State legislatures are going to be making new districts to accommodate the changes in population. This is a very good thing for Republicans and conservatives and a bad thing for Democrats.

"A funny thing happened to the blue wave supposedly on the way—it disappeared.
Former president Barack Obama and former attorney general Eric Holder spent years raising money to win the fight for state legislators so Democrats could gerrymander the U.S. House for the next decade. Lisa Nelson, the head of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) estimates that Democrats outspent Republicans by at least three to one in state legislative races.
The left-wing propaganda media spent months talking about the coming blue wave, and the crushing of the GOP in an anti-Trump tide.
The big internet companies censored conservatives and Republicans with greater and greater frequency as the election came closer.
Yet, when the elections for state legislators were over, the Republicans had created a populist, grassroots tsunami which defeated the Democrats and set the stage for a decade of creativity at the state level.
Republicans now have a majority in both houses of 31 state legislatures and hold the state senate in Minnesota. Minnesota is the only state with split control of the legislature and is a good example of the frustration Democrats are feeling after their blue wave evaporated. The state's Democratic Farmer Labor party spent $18 million trying to win the state senate and came up empty.
The Democrats have legislative control in only 18 states.
Furthermore, Republicans control the legislatures and governorships in 23 states, with roughly 136 million citizens. By contrast the Democrats only control the legislature and governorships in 15 states with 120 million people (more than 39 million of them in California). Republicans control the legislature in seven states with Democratic governors, while Democrats only control the legislature in three states with Republican governors."

must be the shits when all you have to brag about is how your party cheats to win!!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Why do you make such a fetish of the Constitution?

He doesn't give a shit about the constitution. If he did he wouldn't be in any way holding the positions that he does.
What he's doing is trying to defend a status quo because he believes that status quo is good for the team he supports.
Hes pretty transparent in his arguments. He's either "Ha! Liberal tears" or "Its not illegal so...".

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
You don't get to rename the Republican Party, it's been the Republican Party since 1854 when we opposed the expansion of slavery and Abraham Lincoln became our first Republican President..

Really? "When we opposed the expansion of slavery"? How old are you? 😂

The party name may be the only thing that hasn't changed over the last 150+ years. Trump clearly demonstrates that the Republican Party has become the bastion of mostly white, mostly old, mostly evangelical voters who lay claim to some higher moral ground that they intend to righteously defend against heathen ideas -- the antithesis of what it originally was. To even imply that there is any thread of ideology connecting the party in Lincoln's time to the pile of pooh we live with today is simply ridiculous.

Reactions: Meghan54 and pmv
Jul 9, 2009
Why do you make such a fetish of the Constitution? You do realise it was drawn up by flawed human beings, right? It's not the direct word of God. I feel like I'm risking losing the audience here, because the over-veneration of that document, and those who wrote it, seems to apply across the US political divide, but I really don't get it, myself - it seems a direct equivalent of the veneration of the Royal Family here, yet I thought you lot fought a revolution to get rid of that kind of deference?

I've seen conservatives on here (maybe it was you?) speak dismissively that 'Democrats can't get elected in the system as it is so they want to change the system to suit them'. Yet surely that logic is precisely the reason why the US came into existence in the first place!

A better system would be to have non-political committees do it, as other democracies do. Still possible to become partisan, but better than having it be fundamentally a political process by design.
If you can't understand why Americans - United State Citizens venerate the Constitution there's really nothing i can say or do that would matter to you. It was the original deal made by the Government to the People on what they could, couldn't and can't do.

It has ways and means to change it, but they're not easy and not intended to be easy.

Lol , "non-political committees" which are kind of like "different colored unicorns" ......... they don't exist in the real world.

Jul 9, 2009

The party name may be the only thing that hasn't changed over the last 150+ years. Trump clearly demonstrates that the Republican Party has become the bastion of mostly white, mostly old, mostly evangelical voters who lay claim to some higher moral ground that they intend to righteously defend against heathen ideas -- the antithesis of what it originally was. To even imply that there is any thread of ideology connecting the party in Lincoln's time to the pile of pooh we live with today is simply ridiculous.
Not that old, but i'm a member of the Republican Party and get to claim the "we". I disagree.

Jul 9, 2009
while shitting your pants and wiping it on your keyboard might be a response, it's not actually an answer.
It's an honest answer. It's an I don't know the actual answer to your question" . I'm sure you're rather i lie and make something up, but nope I didn't know it the first time you asked and still don't know it.
Is that chocolate sauce in the corner of your mouth ?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

You're right, of course. It's just one of the places Taj runs away to when he's desperate. If he were capable of being honest, he'd claim the heritage of Nixon's southern strategy, Reagan's dog whistling, Willie Horton & Trump's blatant pandering to racist sentiment. And he's touting the victory of white culture warriors as if it's not been deeply divisive & corrosive of the values of decency & mutual respect.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have no issue with non-partisan commissions setting up districts that make geographic sense.
You don't get to rename the Republican Party, it's been the Republican Party since 1854 when we opposed the expansion of slavery and Abraham Lincoln became our first Republican President. I like how you pretend that the Democratic Party doesn't take part in massive gerrymandering and lie, cheat and steal to give them every advantage they can. You know they do, but you lie about it.

Even the democrat partisan Daily Beast admits it after a fashion.

The Democrats shit stinks so bad in terms of gerrymandering that i'm surprised you can tell the difference between the 2.

There are some cases of the Democratic party doing stupid shit. I am all for non-partisan commissions setting up districts, not the political party in charge at the time. It's just another fuck up by the founding fathers. Add it to the very long list.

However the numbers show the Democrats have to win insane population numbers to get far fewer seats than Republicans do. The Republicans just do gerrymandering far more and more uniformly as a party as a whole.

You don't have a Republican party anymore as long as Trump is around. The cult of Trump is far far bigger than whatever is left of the Republican party. You people live way too far in the past anyway - times have changed since Lincoln and that was well before Trump took over the party and turned it into his cult. After the civil rights act Republicans utilized a strategy to appeal to the racial grievances of whites in the south to maintain power, so much so your RNC chair apologized for being racist in a 2006 speech to the NAACP. That is far more recent than the time of Lincoln. But you regressives tend to live in fairy tale land though, so this is normal.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
If you can't understand why Americans - United State Citizens venerate the Constitution there's really nothing i can say or do that would matter to you. It was the original deal made by the Government to the People on what they could, couldn't and can't do.

It has ways and means to change it, but they're not easy and not intended to be easy.

Lol , "non-political committees" which are kind of like "different colored unicorns" ......... they don't exist in the real world.

I get it isn't easy to change. That's why it took the bloodiest civil war in history to add something as basic as ending race-based slavery. Making it so hard to change peacefully in line with changing circumstances just makes it likely it will one day break catastrophically. It's just a bad design to have made it so rigid. Pretending a bad design is flawless doesn't seem smart to me.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Does Texas redistricting conform to what you posted about the law, specially the conditions that are part of that law, you, yourself listed? No! Hence why I said Texas destroys your argument. You sit here and are trying to argue that redistricting is in the constitution, it's the law, all while ignoring Texas and many other Republican states that are violating the very law you listed when they made/make changes to the districts. For your argument to be sound, those Republican states have to be adhering to the law you are trying to argue about. They don't. Your twisting, dodging, and manipulation of those fact, says everything anyone needs to know about you and your argument.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2009
You're right, of course. It's just one of the places Taj runs away to when he's desperate. If he were capable of being honest, he'd claim the heritage of Nixon's southern strategy, Reagan's dog whistling, Willie Horton & Trump's blatant pandering to racist sentiment. And he's touting the victory of white culture warriors as if it's not been deeply divisive & corrosive of the values of decency & mutual respect.
Your claims are bullshit, it's what you want to be true, not what i've witnessed over the last 60+ years. You're the one talking racist bullshit, not me.

Jul 9, 2009
I get it isn't easy to change. That's why it took the bloodiest civil war in history to add something as basic as ending race-based slavery. Making it so hard to change peacefully in line with changing circumstances just makes it likely it will one day break catastrophically. It's just a bad design to have made it so rigid. Pretending a bad design is flawless doesn't seem smart to me.
Come up with a better one and see if you can get enough people to support you. Either here or in a different country. Knock yourself out.

Jul 9, 2009
I have no issue with non-partisan commissions setting up districts that make geographic sense.

There are some cases of the Democratic party doing stupid shit. I am all for non-partisan commissions setting up districts, not the political party in charge at the time. It's just another fuck up by the founding fathers. Add it to the very long list.

However the numbers show the Democrats have to win insane population numbers to get far fewer seats than Republicans do. The Republicans just do gerrymandering far more and more uniformly as a party as a whole.

You don't have a Republican party anymore as long as Trump is around. The cult of Trump is far far bigger than whatever is left of the Republican party. You people live way too far in the past anyway - times have changed since Lincoln and that was well before Trump took over the party and turned it into his cult. After the civil rights act Republicans utilized a strategy to appeal to the racial grievances of whites in the south to maintain power, so much so your RNC chair apologized for being racist in a 2006 speech to the NAACP. That is far more recent than the time of Lincoln. But you regressives tend to live in fairy tale land though, so this is normal.
Non-partisan? Sounds great, as long as you allow me to pick out the "non-partisan" members. Trust me.

You make claims that I don't agree with and aren't my observations as a Republican. Your hatred of those that politically disagree with you is a blatant open book and why would i believe your claims that Trump is a cult or that the civil rights bills that were heavily supported by Republicans somehow, some way changed if by magic and how the Democrats with a long history of racism (Byrd anyone) suddenly changed?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
It's an honest answer. It's an I don't know the actual answer to your question" . I'm sure you're rather i lie and make something up, but nope I didn't know it the first time you asked and still don't know it.
Is that chocolate sauce in the corner of your mouth ?
still can't defend your own bullshit, eh?
Republicans use redistricting to get citizens of similar interests, jobs, economic reasons to be in the same district.