Red Lobster to reel in all-you-can-eat deals ... Losing too much $$

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Red Lobster to reel in all-you-can-eat deals
3/18/2004 8:57 PM
By: Associated Press

DES MOINES, Iowa -- When Red Lobster said "All you can eat,'' the chain apparently didn't realize how much people would pig out.

Parent company Darden Restaurants said Red Lobster will cut back on those promotions, because while they did pull in the customers they also ate into profit margins.

Last year, an all-you-can-eat crab offer hurt profits when diners filled up their plates too many times.

In a conference call with analysts, Darden Chairman and CEO Joe Lee said the company won't discontinue the popular promotions but may offer them just once a year.

Text

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Why don't they just raise the price for the all-you-can-eat option? :confused:

They could always lower it to it's current price during a promotion.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Haha, I probably cost Red Lobster millions. I have no regrets, my tummy is happy.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
At that last all you can eat snow crab legs promo, I managed to eat 30 legs before the damn server stopped giving me more.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: brtspears2
At that last all you can eat snow crab legs promo, I managed to eat 30 legs before the damn server stopped giving me more.

How is she allowed to stop giving you more, I thought it was all you could eat? :confused:

Occifer

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2002
The all you can eat buffet at my pizza place is constantly plagued by Adkins retards who only eat the toppings off of the pizza leaving mounds of cheese and crust behind, as they keep returning for slices with three peices of pepperoni on top
rolleye.gif

edit: spelling and grammar

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Didn't they learn when they FIRED the last CEO due to the all-you-can-eat promotion?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Sifl

How is she allowed to stop giving you more, I thought it was all you could eat? :confused:

Mr. Simpson, this is the most blatant case of false advertising since my lawsuit against the movie The Neverending Story!

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Occifer
The all you can eat buffet at my pizza place is constantly plagued by Adkins retards who only eat the toppings off of the pizza leaving mounds of cheese and crust behind, as they keep returning for slices with three peices of pepperoni on top
rolleye.gif

hahah wtf they should just go buy a pepperoni stick...

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Dumbasses.

Why don't they just raise the price to make it [more]profitable?

It's not like more menu options are a bad thing. If an all you can eat choice attracts customers, they need to take that and run.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Didn't know there was an all you can eat at RL. Our local RLs didn't have it, I don't think so.

Occifer

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by: gopunk
Originally posted by: Occifer
rolleye.gif

hahah wtf they should just go buy a pepperoni stick...

They get all you can eat salad with it as well, I think that's why they go for it. Eat all the salad you want AND pick all the toppings off the pizza.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
This is America... do you know how many large-and-in-charge people there are ? They could definitely eat into *ummm* profit margins...

Besides... seafood is supposedly not filling. Bad idea.

DPmaster

Oct 31, 2000
Heh,

Last time I had an all-you-can-eat deal at RL, it was for snow crab legs. My cousin and I estimated that we probably ate about $500-$550 (if you were to buy it at a grocery store) worth between the both of us. Yeah that stuff doesn't fill you up :)

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by: DPmaster
Heh,

Last time I had an all-you-can-eat deal at RL, it was for snow crab legs. My cousin and I estimated that we probably ate about $500-$550 (if you were to buy it at a grocery store) worth between the both of us. Yeah that stuff doesn't fill you up :)

The hell do you eat $500 of Snow Crab.

They're $3 a pound here, so what? You ate 160 pounds? AFAIK, King Crab is about $13/pound, even then thats about 40 pounds.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sifl

I'm guessing when he asked for more, the server told him, "That's all you can eat." :)

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Why anyone would eat at a seafood restaurant that is headquartered in *IOWA* is beyond me. :disgust:

DPmaster

Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: dexvx
Heh,

They're $3 a pound here, so what? You ate 160 pounds? AFAIK, King Crab is about $13/pound, even then thats about 40 pounds.

Hmm,

I think I got the amounts wrong then. Not sure about the weight but I can eat about 10 whole lobsters pretty easily. My cousin usually eats about 13-14 lobsters whenever there's an all you can eat.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: werk
Why anyone would eat at a seafood restaurant that is headquartered in *IOWA* is beyond me. :disgust:
Well I don't know why anyone would eat seafood when it tastes like seawater for the most part anyway. ;) Ugh... the thought of eating insect-looking creatures. Think about it. Ever seen shrimp when they're still alive swimming in a tank ? Nasty... WhoTF came up with the idea of eating that ?!

I go to Red Lobster for their never-ending biscuits and their CHICKEN ALFREDO. It tastes the best out of the many eat-out places I've been to - no joke.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
Well I don't know why anyone would eat seafood when it tastes like seawater anyway. ;) I go to Red Lobster for their never-ending biscuits and their CHICKEN ALFREDO. It tastes the best out of the many eat-out places I've been to - no joke.
God, what is with the people on this forum and chain restaurants? Disgusting.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
Well I don't know why anyone would eat seafood when it tastes like seawater anyway. ;) I go to Red Lobster for their never-ending biscuits and their CHICKEN ALFREDO. It tastes the best out of the many eat-out places I've been to - no joke.
God, what is with the people on this forum and chain restaurants? Disgusting.
I've had my say about people eating at only their favorite local mom-and-pop discoveries. It doesn't make you or them any more special. What's important is the taste of the food and it's fine for me. Honestly, the homemade sauces are not very good the few places I've tried. Overrated comes to mind. I would rather eat commercial stuff if that's what it takes to appeal to me. And I've found where my favorites are - something wrong with that ?

What I really want to know is (and not necessarily from God) - what is it with people and this forum always wanting to be different ? Kthxbye.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
I don't think the All you can eat deal cut their profit margin.... their SLOW COOKS did.

The last time i was at Red Lobster, fo the all you can eat shrimp deal... we were there for over 2 and a half hours.....
I didn't eat alot... maybe 7 plates (and they only give you 5 shrimp on a plate... don't tell me i pigged out)... it took 20 minutes between plates.

They wouldn't hurt their profit margin so much if they had faster turnover.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: dexvx
Heh,

Hmm,

I think I got the amounts wrong then. Not sure about the weight but I can eat about 10 whole lobsters pretty easily. My cousin usually eats about 13-14 lobsters whenever there's an all you can eat.

Lobsters are about what ? $19/pound. What all-you-can-eat place would have Lobster?