Red Bean and Rice

Originally posted by: MillionaireNextDoor
You can use the beans for garnish around the main entree...

I don't love it but I think one can live on it for a while.

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. When I cook mine, the beans are cooked down into a sauce.

Chaotic42, So do I, I am over generous with the Crystal.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: RickyRoma
Originally posted by: MillionaireNextDoor
You can use the beans for garnish around the main entree...

I don't love it but I think one can live on it for a while.

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. When I cook mine, the beans are cooked down into a sauce.

Chaotic42, So do I, I am over generous with the Crystal.

Meth?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Cool. I want to make some gumbo, but they don't have fresh seafood here in Indiana.

When I go home to visit I'm going to have a nice crab po-boy with some spicy seafood gumbo. :)

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Mmm.. Yes....

They serve it at the Cajun Grill. I always get Bourbon Chicken with rice & rice (instead of rice & vegetables).. with "lots" of bourbon sauce on the rice. :)

OMG! so good.....

Lets share real recipes, Not generic ones from the back of the plastic bag that holds a pound of kidney beans.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Gawd how I hate red beans and rice. Between hating that and grits, it's no wonder people around here still call me a carpetbagger. :)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Gawd how I hate red beans and rice. Between hating that and grits, it's no wonder people around here still call me a carpetbagger. :)

We don't like your kind round here, boy. You'd best head on back from where you came before somebody steals your tires.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

We don't like your kind round here, boy. You'd best head on back from where you came before somebody steals your tires.

So says the guy living in Indiana. ;)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001

Well, I'm origionally from Mississippi. The above was just an inside joke. My roomate and I went back down to MS to pick up the rest of my stuff and we passed Enterprise, MS. Since his car didn't have a radio or anything, we were bored, so we started talking about Star Trek nerds flocking to the small town in the middle of a Mississippi pine forest looking for the holodeck.

13 hours in a car messes with your mind like that. :)

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

Well, I'm origionally from Mississippi. The above was just an inside joke. My roomate and I went back down to MS to pick up the rest of my stuff and we passed Enterprise, MS. Since his car didn't have a radio or anything, we were bored, so we started talking about Star Trek nerds flocking to the small town in the middle of a Mississippi pine forest looking for the holodeck.

13 hours in a car messes with your mind like that. :)

Definately. I used to get real stir crazy when I was driving by myself between school (AL) and my parents place (OH). The worst was when I was driving back down here March '93 when the blizzard buried everyone east of the Mississippi. Took me 24 hours to make the drive. :disgust:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Heh, I'm like a negative carpetbagger.

I don't eat bratwurst, sourkraut, or pork tenderloins
I've never milked a cow
I don't eat watermellons after July 4
I think gets cold in September here
I had never seen snow before I moved here
I call people ma'am and sir which puzzles them
The idea of a "town square" is new to me
I didn't know what a free throw was before I moved here

:D

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Heh, I'm like a negative carpetbagger.

I don't eat bratwurst, sourkraut, or pork tenderloins
I've never milked a cow
I don't eat watermellons after July 4
I think gets cold in September here
I had never seen snow before I moved here
I call people ma'am and sir which puzzles them
The idea of a "town square" is new to me
I didn't know what a free throw was before I moved here

:D

LOL

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Recipe? Yes, I do. Get a couple of Justin Wilson's cookbooks.
NOW.
If you're feeling lazy (which I often am), Vigo makes the only decent mix for the stuff.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Cool. I want to make some gumbo, but they don't have fresh seafood here in Indiana.

When I go home to visit I'm going to have a nice crab po-boy with some spicy seafood gumbo. :)

I need to move out soon...Gumbo is my favorite food (dark roux + onions, peppers, celery + veggies + lots of meat and rice + random leftovers = fantastic eatin'), but the smell makes my mom sick. IMO, only kind of food worth taking an entire day to make.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000

Start marching north :D

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
1 Tsp or so olive oil.
About 3 or 4 cups of beans. Black or red.
2c rice (uncooked, I prefer medium grain)
Sausage...pretty much anything will do, but I prefer Andouille (I'm in Georgia, so there are a few locally made ones) or Jimmy Dean's "Sage" breakfast sausage (for you yankee types, they are nothing alike, I just have odd preferences). 1/2lb to 2lb, depending on how much you want.
Large Vidalia onion, or medium-sized for astrong onion. Chopped.
1/2 small bell pepper. Chopped.
Garlic. Lots of it.
Hot sauce. Lots of it (I like Grace crushed pepper sauce).
Spices: parsely or chives, then whatever else you feel like. I like oregano, rosemary, thyme and a very small pinch of tumeric (maybe 1/8 tsp, if even that much)
Optional: a small tomato, added to the beans as they cook down.

1. Heat olive oil in a skillet, and add chopped up onion and bell pepper, oh and the sausage, sliced however you like.
2. Put the beans in a sauce pan with enough water to cover them, and turn the heat on up.
3. When this is boiling, move the onions and bell pepper to the sauce pan, and add garlic. Move the sausage to somewhere else for now.
4. This will need to sit on medium or low for around 40min to an hour. When it is a thick mush, it's ready to go.
5. Heat water for the rice. When it boils, add the rice and some of the bean mush, and maybe some worcestershire to the rice's water.
6. When the rice is done, if one of the sace pans is big enough, mix them. Otherwise find one that is big enough and mix them. Add herbs and all that, and the hot sauce. try toss without too much steam getting in your face, and then eat it.