Red Baron Is Back! Or trying to via Kickstarter

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
FYI, I asked if they had acquired the rights to the series, since the KS page doesn't mention that. I got a prompt response:

Yes, we fully own the rights to the Red Baron series. We have the original creator, full rights, and now we are ready to make the game!

So no worries about being them shut down for infringement.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Man i remember this game, it was so fun. It was great because it was simply to fly, but you could do lots of moves in the air. The kill missions was pretty awesome to, kill artillery on enemy lines, but being hunted by other aircraft in process.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Huge fan of WWI flight games.. and so old I remember when there where a few.. WINGS, Blue MAX, Knights of the Sky, Red baron, etc.. Am a bit surprised there are almost zero now. Jus the one F2P MMO one that is ULTRA realistic.. (sorry forget name, but worth some googleing if you like Ultra realistic flight sims). BUT, inst this the 2nd time he has tried Kickstarter on this? or was it that other one he tired and filed on before?

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
I'm wondering if they'll continue to do the Aces series if they get funding.

walkur

May 1, 2001
Never played "red baron" but i have fond memories of playing "warbirds" (same type of game) on the Handheld Atari Lynx with 3 people at once!
Might put this on my "want" list...

MiataNC

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2007
Back in the day I was a beta tester for Red Baron 3D.

I may have to join this KS for nostalgias sake alone.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Yeah, I think I'm going to donate $25 to the game and get in on the beta. That would make two game betas I'll be involved in for next year. I'll be busy.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Red Baron will support Oculus Rift

Finally, we will be supporting the Oculus Rift. We are really excited by the prospect of the Oculus, and feel that this sort of technology is precisely what Red Baron needs. To be able to see the world in three-dimensional eyes, to be able to look over your shoulder to see if the enemy ace has your six... The Oculus Rift was made for Red Baron!

:thumbsup:

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Huge fan of WWI flight games.. and so old I remember when there where a few.. WINGS, Blue MAX, Knights of the Sky, Red baron, etc.. Am a bit surprised there are almost zero now.

Rise of Flight is still kicking around. They just released an new one in fact.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/244050/?snr=1_200_200_258_tab-NewReleasesFilteredDLC_3

It's one of those games I keep meaning to buy but forget it exists. I love vintage planes from both World Wars. Used to have a big old RC Sopwith Camel, though it flew a bit too scale for my tastes. Landing it was the easy part. Taking it off was scary due to the torque from the scale prop I had on it. Would torque roll as soon as it lifted off the ground.

There's also Rise of Glory, which is a mobile game (iOS, Android, Windows Phone) that uses the accelerometer for control. Bit like Red Barron.

Unfortunately the flight sim genre is all but dead. Hard to believe Flight Simulator X came out 7 years ago this month, and IL-2: Forgotten Battles is 10 years old!

Never played the original Red Barron games. Good luck to them though. Looks like they've got something nice going there.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I'm wondering if they'll continue to do the Aces series if they get funding.

I'd like to see the old LucasFilm games redone too - Battle of Britain: Their Finest Hour...Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, etc.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Sad news....

Red Baron Campaign Update
Greetings Backers and Red Baron fans,

As some of you have noticed and mentioned, the Kickstarter for Red Baron hasn’t been quite as successful as we had hoped. We are a new to crowdfunding, and in turn the Red Baron campaign didn’t quite reach as many ears as we needed.

That being said, we are going to cancel the Kickstarter campaign… for now. We will still be moving forward with Red Baron with the plans to relaunch the campaign early next year.

In the next few months we will be honing our message and vision, along with improving Red Baron based on the feedback we received from all of you.

What we need you to do is help us grow awareness and community. If we want Red Baron to succeed then we need to get the word out. We will be doing our part, improving Red Baron, but we need your help as well. Please tell friends, invite others to one of our social platforms, share us, tweet us, whatever it is that you do, please do it!

We urge you to head over to Facebook or Twitter and give us a like or follow us so you can stay informed. Additionally we have a website with forums that we will maintain, a place for our community to grow, and a place where we the developers can hear directly from you guys. We are going to be posting developer blogs, design notes, and having frequent talks with you the community.

Finally, we want to thank all of you for your early support and incentivize all of you to get hooked into one of our social media platforms. At the end of November we will be marking down all of the people who have followed us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Tumblr, or joined our forums. Everyone marked will be given alpha access to the game, as long as the tier you select during our next Kickstarter campaign contains a copy of the game.

Please help us spread the word about Red Baron over the next few months, and together we can build an amazing game. The Red Baron will fly again!

-Damon Slye and the Mad Otter team