Recurring malware problem on Windows 10

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hi,

I have a Dell XPS13 with Windows 10, and I'm getting recurring malware, at least some of which is Chrome related. I first noticed it when my Avira Free AV detected some malware of type "TR/Dldr.Agent.zbthu" and "Crypt.XPACK.Gen3" and quarantined the files. Then I looked at my task manager and realized that everytime I boot up, an executable with the filename gXXXX.tmp.exe will run, where XXXX is some alphanumeric string. I traced this file to C:\Windows\Temp, and also to the Windows registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce.

I tried doing a manual scan of this file with Avira, and it didn't detect it as malware, so it seems I'm dealing with multiple types of malware, of which Avira is only able to detect and quarantine some.

Naturally, I ended the task, deleted the executable, and deleted the registry entry, but everytime I reboot, it will come back again as another filename.

I tried running Process Monitor to see who's writing to the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce registry key, but it seems the gXXXX.tmp.exe was the one to add itself there. However, I can't seem to figure out who created gXXXX.tmp.exe in C:\Windows\Temp in the first place. The .tmp.exe seem to be be accessing C:\ProgramData\CouponAlert\CouponAlert.dll though, and I can't seem to delete that folder as it's currently being used.

Also, some of the files seem to be tied to Chrome, as I am unable to delete the files (.exe and .tmp) while Chrome was open. Suspecting that it could be an extension, I disabled them 1 by 1 to try and figure out if an extension was causing this, but even when all extensions are disabled, I was still unable to delete the file.

The .tmp files appear to be executables upon inspection with a hex editor as well as IDA Pro, but I'm not about to do a detailed analysis on them. ProcessMonitor showed that they were created by rundll32.exe though.

How do I get rid of the source of the problem that's spawning these malware executables?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Could be one of those advanced "binary in the registry" infections. In which case, there's no executable on-disk.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
There are some nasty tricks people can do with Chrome extensions to keep reloading them after deleting or disabling them. First, reset your HOSTS file. Second, run the Malwarebytes free demo (select custom scan, do a full scan on the C: & any other drives you have, and also check the Rootkit box). Third, install & run ADWcleaner:

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Windows 10 also has a built-in reset tool (it'll nuke all of your data, but give you a fresh Windows install without needing to install from a disc again).

Reactions: Goi

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
There are some nasty tricks people can do with Chrome extensions to keep reloading them after deleting or disabling them. First, reset your HOSTS file. Second, run the Malwarebytes free demo (select custom scan, do a full scan on the C: & any other drives you have, and also check the Rootkit box). Third, install & run ADWcleaner:

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Windows 10 also has a built-in reset tool (it'll nuke all of your data, but give you a fresh Windows install without needing to install from a disc again).
I did this in the end:
1. Run Malwarebytes - found some threats
2. Run Hitman Pro - found lots of threats
3. Run Adwcleaner - found lots of threats

Let's see if it's still there...

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I did this in the end:

Was it something you installed that included the malware or was it something that came from the browser?

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
I did this in the end:

If those did not route it, reformat. Its not worth spending any more time trying to fight the infection. If you want to get to know the anatomy and forensic characteristics good luck with that!

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
If those did not route it, reformat.

I would say regardless of what AV software says going forward, the machine should be wiped and Windows reinstalled. It appears to have been seriously compromised. I wouldn't trust it anymore.

Without knowing how you got infected, you might consider installing VirtualBox and a Linux distro if you find yourself visiting dodgy sites from time to time.

-KeithP