Recording & Video Encoding Rig CPU Suggestion

mustard010

Sep 13, 2003
Hi.

My main objective is to create a audio recording rig + an overall video encoding workstation also. I have requirements to make it as quiet as possible, but at the same time, is it possible to run a quad core "quietly?" or should I stay with a lower wattage dual core?

I'm looking for alternatives. And if possible, a "passively cooled" intel dual core/quadcore system.

Thanks.

Carlo

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Well, we need budget...

But, I can say that a quad core, even overclocked run with a TRUE cooler and a low speed quiet fan, is as quiet a a good PSU, virtually silent.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Markfw900
Well, we need budget...

But, I can say that a quad core, even overclocked run with a TRUE cooler and a low speed quiet fan, is as quiet a a good PSU, virtually silent.

+1

Go with TRU120 and quiet fan and you'll get the highest performance/decibel ratio possible.

You should post this in the cooling forums as Aigo would be the man to ask as to whether or not going water-cooling with the right kind of quiet pumps and radiator fans (if any) might get you even higher performance/decibel (at obviously higher net cost).

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
I've only tried it on my Q6600 G0, but I was able to undervolt it down to 0.95v and I disconnected the fan on my ThermalTake V1. Full load temps were only in the low 50s. At stock clock, with a large enough HSF, it should be possible to make any CPU passive.

Apr 20, 2008
Just throwing this out there i had my Q8200 down to 1.7ghz at .9V. My temps were in the mid-high 20's at idle, 40C at load. Temps with my OC are 20+ higher then the underclock.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Grab one of the Q9550s chips - 65W TDP quad FTW!!

Bolt on a Xigmatek S1283 or TRUE120 with a slow fan and you've got an encoding beast that will run cool & quiet.

Use a motherboard with integrated GPU and an SSD HDD for a nearly silent system.

EDIT: And let me also suggest using either an Intel X25-M or an OCZ Vertex SSD HDD - those are the only two drives proven not to suffer from the stutter problems on small random writes.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
A budget would really help :)

Here are some system power consumption numbers from Anand on 45nm procs. I don't think something like the Q8200 S-series would be significantly different in wattage than the Q9550s.

As nice as going passive would be ... with extended max loads during encodes a few fluid-bearing fans might be in order to keep things cool.

Isolate mechanical drives or SSDs? IIRC some Antec cases have rubber insulation on the side panels to keep vibration noise down.

Mothergoose729

Mar 21, 2009
If you keep you CPU at stock then it will be very quite, as the POS HSF that comes with intel CPU is, at least, pretty silent. As others have suggest you can get the Q8200s or Q9550s and a quite cooler, and be happy with that. For what you have in mind a Phenom II 920 or 940 would work great, and their stock coolers are pretty decent, quite as well. If you must go intel I think a Q6600 with something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16835106069

Will be both quite and effective. Definitely get a quad core for encoding, as GPU encoding is just not sophisticated enough. Although AMD/ATI does offer stream and Nvidia Badaboom which compress and encode much quicker then a CPU. However, both have considerable shortcomings, and neither will help you much with audio work.

Kraeoss

Jul 31, 2008
yea either that or get a large case and some nice airflow. what's gonna be the temps in the room ? if it's under 20c then a few 120-140mm fluid bearing fans will do the trick as heyheybooboo reccomended