Recording VHS in and burning to DVD???

rkoenn

Aug 4, 2000
I have had a request from a friend to build a system for his wife for Xmas. One primary requirement is to be able to record VHS VCR input to the hard drive and then burn it to a DVD disc. Of course this will require a DVD burner but the other part is the video in. If I were to use something such as an ATI Radeon 7500 All-in-Wonder card could I input the VCR signal through the TV tuner part of the card and record the video to the hard drive? I believe this would be possible but am unsure as I have never attempted to do this before. All knowledgable responses to my question are gladly accepted. Thanks in advance.

tart666

Golden Member
May 18, 2002
AIW cards have Video In connections, so you can capture the video via low-frequency RCA cables. It will be much cleaner that way.

The bigger problem will be MPEG2 compression. Hopefully the DVD-authoring software that comes with the burner will take care of that, but sometimes it does not. You will have to research that.

Edit: here's a capture device with a built-in realtime MPEG2 encoder: Dazzle DVC150. This may be a decent solution for $199.

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
Highly recommended to go with the Hardware MPEG2 encoder as tart666 said. Also you may want to have a look
here. This will show how to do it with freeware tools but you loos quality and time (takes longer) with software encoding.

BeBumbleBe

Nov 8, 1999
The Dazzle is a good solution for VHS conversion of exisitng tapes, but probably not for DV because it lacks a firewire port and its easier to edit a DV source than an mpeg2 source