Record Shattered: Rush Limbaugh Signs 8-Year, 400+ Million Dollar Deal

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jersiq

May 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
You guys and your enemies list, thought you would have learned from Nixon's tribulations.

Disagreeing with someone on almost everything does not make them your enemy.

Baloney! This is the INTERNET, where we verbally destroy those who are not like-minded.
:p

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: Fern
Haha, a thread about Rush is like chumming the waters of ATP&N with liberal bait. Without fail, they all swim over for a bite.

Fern

I admit it. No matter how putridly gross the auto accident, we all slow down for a look.

Tell me, Fern, what's your considered opinion of the ex-welfare recipient (despite coming from an extremely affluent family), convicted hard drug addict, hypocrit blowhard?

Care to state it here?

I seem to listen to him far less than the Dems/liberals here.

IDK as much about him as you guys. IDK what topics he covers etc.

I'm only in my car for 8 minutes at a time. About a 1/3 of the time I have his program on I mostly hear commercial/ads, the other 1/3 is a caller talking, the last 1/3 is Rush.

Sometimes, because my exposure is so short I'm not sure what he's railing against. Other times I find him amusing. He often parodies himself etc.

Sometimes, he's a bit outragious. The "Barack the Magic Negro" song (played to the music from Puff the Magic Dragon) is pretty outragious.

I think mostly he's just entertainment. Although I do think he made a meaningful difference in the past Imigration reform bill McCain was pushing. He seemed to raise enough h3ll about that he might actually have a made a difference and motivated people to complain to their Congresspersons.

So I mostly think he's just entertainment. And from what I can tell, his program sells a ton of ads.

I spend my time with the cable news shows (all of them that deal with politics) and editorials in newspapers.

ATM, my favorite show is Chris Matthew's Hardball, and I still like catching the panel at the end of Brit Hume's show.

Fern

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Perknose
Haha, a thread about Rush is like chumming the waters of ATP&N with liberal bait. Without fail, they all swim over for a bite.

Fern

I admit it. No matter how putridly gross the auto accident, we all slow down for a look.

Tell me, Fern, what's your considered opinion of the ex-welfare recipient (despite coming from an extremely affluent family), convicted hard drug addict, hypocrit blowhard?

Care to state it here?
Sometimes, he's a bit outragious. The "Barack the Magic Negro" song (played to the music from Puff the Magic Dragon) is pretty outragious.
Fern

It's a reference to this article.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: Corbett

Fern

No kidding. Already we have :

umbrella39
Robor
Dari
dmcowen674
RightIsWrong
OrByte
Lemon law
DealMonkey
jonks
Harvey
Red Dawn
Perknose
Vic
jpeyton
eskimospy
sandorski

We just need Craig234 to chime in and the list will be complete!

I'm a conservative, and you can add my name to that list with pride. Vic, Perk, and Red Dawn in particular are very often more sensible than many of my so-called fellow 'conservatives'.

Oh, and conservative talk radio IS dead, and has long since been dead. Don't confuse the modern big government authoritarian jackbooted thugs with traditional conservatism. These current guys will sing you a song about freedom and small government, all the while freely spending and shredding your rights. William F Buckley had more intelligence on a sole nut hair than gasbags like Limbaugh will ever have, to speak nothing of class, character, and integrity.

If there's anything Rush is good for, it's furthering counterproductive partisan bullshit between people that should really know better. Don't fall for it, any of you.

:thumbsup:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: hellokeith
I bet Rush and Howard Stern play golf together.
LOL,Howard doesn't play golf but if old fat ass wanted to play him a game of Chess I'm sure Howard would give him a go.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
William F Buckley had more intelligence on a sole nut hair than gasbags like Limbaugh will ever have, to speak nothing of class, character, and integrity.

:thumbsup:

So accurate it hurts...although 'gasbag' may be a term too generous for Rush. ;)

But congrats Rush, you've got a spiffy new jet now! No more getting caught in public terminals with your party supplies!

Works for my step-dad. ;)

Donuts

Mar 22, 2000
He's laughing all the way to the bank, while you all whine on your keyboards!!!

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Limbaugh Pwns. You won't find better commentary on news in the whole world. He slices and dices the liberal mainstream media up into what they are, instead of what the media wants them to appear to be.

Everyone bashing him here seems to have no clue what they're talking about. He's a die hard republican with some media powers so it's no surprise a bunch of left wing nutjobs on here don't like him, and can't come up with anything specific other than they hate him for his point of view.

ChrisFromNJ

Jul 4, 2008
Faux News is the highest rated TV news network and Rush Limbaugh is the highest rated talk radio host.

Really says alot about the collective intelligence of the American people and how low our political discourse has fallen over the years with these two entreprenuers leading the pack.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Duwelon
Limbaugh Pwns. You won't find better commentary on news in the whole world. He slices and dices the liberal mainstream media up into what they are, instead of what the media wants them to appear to be.

Everyone bashing him here seems to have no clue what they're talking about. He's a die hard republican with some media powers so it's no surprise a bunch of left wing nutjobs on here don't like him, and can't come up with anything specific other than they hate him for his point of view.
Exactly.

If this was Keith Olbermann the left would be celebrating his success.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I like Rush Limbaugh. I like him so much i wish he would run for high public office. In that way the people of this country can make a resounding statement of what we truly think of him, his kind of commentary and the values his words actually represent.

I would very much like for him to run for office based solely on the comments he makes during his show. I'd like to see him run against Hillary Clinton for her Senate seat just to see how much of a man he really is and how much iron is in his words.

Instead of listening to him in his sheltered and insulated snuggy secured studio spewing his all-one-way diatribes I'd like to see him publicly debate any of the prominent Dems now holding office, because i need a really good laugh at his expense. I'm sure he won't disappoint.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

I'm a right-wing voice here that's utterly disgusted with his dishonesty, hypocrisy, rabble-rousing, soundbite bullshit. If he's a 'die hard Republican', then I'm Jesus Christ's third nephew. He's a manipulative hack that has found a way to cash in on ignorance, hate, fear, and scandal.

As for Keith Olbermann, how is that relevant? He's small potatoes, and while I fault him on his nearly unceasing partisanship, he seems to at least try to stick to the facts.

Presentation-wise, however, I see no value whatsoever in their eerily similar, overly emotional, chop-edited partisan nutjobbery. For whatever reason, it seems like more people are willing to check their brains at the door to listen to Rush jabber on though.

I think Rush is actually the guy who posts under the 'Butterbean' account here, he's that fucking ridiculous.

There's no denying his success, though, he'll have enough money that he might be able to take some with him to hell when it's his turn.

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Arkaign

I'm a right-wing voice here that's utterly disgusted with his dishonesty, hypocrisy, rabble-rousing, soundbite bullshit. If he's a 'die hard Republican', then I'm Jesus Christ's third nephew. He's a manipulative hack that has found a way to cash in on ignorance, hate, fear, and scandal.

As for Keith Olbermann, how is that relevant? He's small potatoes, and while I fault him on his nearly unceasing partisanship, he seems to at least try to stick to the facts.

Presentation-wise, however, I see no value whatsoever in their eerily similar, overly emotional, chop-edited partisan nutjobbery. For whatever reason, it seems like more people are willing to check their brains at the door to listen to Rush jabber on though.

I think Rush is actually the guy who posts under the 'Butterbean' account here, he's that fucking ridiculous.

There's no denying his success, though, he'll have enough money that he might be able to take some with him to hell when it's his turn.

What you spouted might as well have come from a random insult post generator. Point out something specific kthx.

Feb 10, 2000
I find the Limbaugh phenomenon really strange and interesting from a business standpoint. He definitely has a large number of listeners nationally, but his actual ratings are never anything impressive in any particular market, which is why his entire syndication model is based on giving the show away to local affiliates (in contrast to the way Stern did it on terrestrial radio - his syndicators sold the show for top dollar, which made sense since it nearly always topped the ratings in every market). Limbaugh's raw numbers come from the fact that he is available essentially everywhere, even in Podunk, Montana, and his raw numbers drive his national ad sales and, in turn, his own contracts.

I am not especially bothered by Limbaugh's politics. What bothers me is that he doesn't write the majority of his own tirades, and they ALL go the same direction. All he seems to do is put himself on the right (wing) side of every issue, and adopt a tone that anyone who doesn't share his views is stupid. At the end of the day it's boring and sheds zero light on politics (not to mention that I simply don't think he believes half the BS he spouts - he is too bright a guy to be that persistently one-sided). I also think his show is one of the big reasons that politics have become so uncivil since Clinton's first term (hell, if GHWB had been re-elected, Rush Limbaugh would more than likely be making $50K a year today, rather than a thousand times that amount).

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
It is totally amazing that somehow this huge media giant has no one willing to admit they listen to him, that post here. Our P&N neoconservatives are the enlightened ones that don't need to listen to Rush. LMFAO. Rush said, "You will betray me three times before cock crows." and he was right ya bunch of Peters (dicks).

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
I find the Limbaugh phenomenon really strange and interesting from a business standpoint. He definitely has a large number of listeners nationally, but his actual ratings are never anything impressive in any particular market, which is why his entire syndication model is based on giving the show away to local affiliates (in contrast to the way Stern did it on terrestrial radio - his syndicators sold the show for top dollar, which made sense since it nearly always topped the ratings in every market). Limbaugh's raw numbers come from the fact that he is available essentially everywhere, even in Podunk, Montana, and his raw numbers drive his national ad sales and, in turn, his own contracts.

I am not especially bothered by Limbaugh's politics. What bothers me is that he doesn't write the majority of his own tirades, and they ALL go the same direction. All he seems to do is put himself on the right (wing) side of every issue, and adopt a tone that anyone who doesn't share his views is stupid. At the end of the day it's boring and sheds zero light on politics (not to mention that I simply don't think he believes half the BS he spouts - he is too bright a guy to be that persistently one-sided). I also think his show is one of the big reasons that politics have become so uncivil since Clinton's first term (hell, if GHWB had been re-elected, Rush Limbaugh would more than likely be making $50K a year today, rather than a thousand times that amount).

Quotes from the New York Times article that started this thread:

1. Limbaugh?s program that day was, as usual, a virtuoso performance. He took a few calls, but mostly he delivered a series of monologues on political and cultural topics. Limbaugh works extemporaneously. He has no writers or script, just notes and a producer on the line from New York with occasional bits of information. That day, and every day, he produced 10,000 words of fluent, often clever political talk.

2. The average AM radio station reserves 18 to 20 minutes each hour for advertising, devotes about 5 minutes an hour to news and spends the rest of the time on other content. Limbaugh is not only paid by the stations, but his program also owns five minutes of every hour of airtime, which it can then sell to advertisers.

3. Apparently you don't remember the Dems claiming that the Republican spending plan would cause senior citizens to eat cat food. Very civil. Pssh. Politics haven't been civil since . . . umm . . . ever.

The article the New York Times did on him is actually a very, very good read.

9 Pages!

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: umbrella39
It is totally amazing that somehow this huge media giant has no one willing to admit they listen to him, that post here. Our P&N neoconservatives are the enlightened ones that don't need to listen to Rush. LMFAO. Rush said, "You will betray me three times before cock crows." and he was right ya bunch of Peters (dicks).

I listen to him everyday. Plus I make my one year old listen to him whenever he rides around with me. Gotta get them started young before the public school system tries to get to 'em.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: XMan

I listen to him everyday. Plus I make my one year old listen to him whenever he rides around with me. Gotta get them started young before the public school system tries to get to 'em.
You don't have to worry about that, he'll grow up to be just like his daddy..delivering the Mail:shocked:

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Rush is a great example of how successful you can be in the U.S. if you're not particularly concerned with being a professional in your chosen profession or especially worried about the logical consistency of your arguments. It's what makes O'Reilly and Hannity successes as well, this phenomena of bloviating diehard ideologues that seems to attract people on radio and TV. It's sort of akin to college graduates who get lured into selling insurance straight out of school; once they get to selling the insurance they know they're in a dishonest profession, but they sell out their principles anyway, becoming a non-contributing member of society in the process.

Of course Rush's success is exactly why the U.S. is great, as it merely proves that someone like Limbaugh (i.e. doesn't come from a silver spoon background and who is poorly educated) can become a monumental success despite those handicaps. I honestly wouldn't have it any other way, as for every Rush Limbaugh there's a Mark Zuckerberg.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

You don't have to worry about that, he'll grow up to be just like his daddy..delivering the Mail:shocked:

:laugh:

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I wish I got paid as much for doing as little as those goobs . . . nice try though.