Record Number of Wealthy Americans are Buying 2nd Passports, and are Looking to Possibly Relocate Abroad.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Interesting.The rich want an option to escape America in case the sh*t hits the fan here. maybe its the increase in crime, or the fact that the Supreme Court is taking America back to the 1800s?

I guess for many wealthy Americans a country like Portugal or Bulgaria has become a much better option than living in America.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Interesting.The rich want an option to escape America in case the sh*t hits the fan here. maybe its the increase in crime, or the fact that the Supreme Court is taking America back to the 1800s?

I guess for many wealthy Americans a country like Portugal or Bulgaria has become a much better option than living in America.

LOL. It’s not even “the rich”. It’s any upper middle class family with smarts, i.e. model minorities, those who’ve lived abroad doing NGO work or can speak another language fluently, or coders who can write code from anywhere. I have a friend from bschool who had a modest 10 year career but got tired of the rat race and decided to retire at 30. He put all his money into sheltered tax free investments and moved to Poland. Didn’t even speak the language.

The only Americans who’ll have to deal with the consequences of single party batshit GOP rule are the poorest Americans and the reddest of the rednecks. The rest of us are ready to free ourselves at a moment’s notice.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
LOL. It’s not even “the rich”. It’s any upper middle class family with smarts, i.e. model minorities, those who’ve lived abroad doing NGO work or can speak another language fluently, or coders who can write code from anywhere. I have a friend from bschool who had a modest 10 year career but got tired of the rat race and decided to retire at 30. He put all his money into sheltered tax free investments and moved to Poland. Didn’t even speak the language.

The only Americans who’ll have to deal with the consequences of single party batshit GOP rule are the poorest Americans and the reddest of the rednecks. The rest of us are ready to free ourselves at a moment’s notice.

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Please tell me how.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I'm all in. There's no way I could be bothered with fighting for freedom in my native land; I'm fleeing the scene.

I got mine, so fuck you.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Is this some Indian/Russian hit piece?

The rich have always done this. The rich have always put money and bought houses in the Switzerland, England, Caymens, or other Caribbean nations in order to keep their wealth away from government coffers.

The jokes on them though. If they think its going to be bad in the US, wait till none of the Caribbean isalnds get US tourists and food deliveries.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I thought they already did this when Obama won?

We’ve already made arrangements to move to Canada if the shit hits the fan. Our snowbird Canadian neighbors agreed to let us rent their basement if we shovel the snow in the winter.

Reactions: UNCjigga

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Please tell me how.

My friend was one of the religious followers of this cult: https://www.mrmoneymustache.com

This guy was popular with former coders/engineers turned pseudo-libertarians who didn’t want to work for anyone but themselves and preferred living somewhat miserly but completely independently vs. earning/spending riches while slaving away for The Man.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't think you need the shit to hit the fan to want to move out of America the way things have been going. Doesn't have to be a triggered thing. Different people would have a different tolerance based on so many intangibles. Of course, having a lot of money would help ambitions to uproot from America and move elsewhere to succeed.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
My friend was one of the religious followers of this cult: https://www.mrmoneymustache.com

This guy was popular with former coders/engineers turned pseudo-libertarians who didn’t want to work for anyone but themselves and preferred living somewhat miserly but completely independently vs. earning/spending riches while slaving away for The Man.

But can I still order from Amazon???

Reactions: UNCjigga

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Canada is a serious option for when I have kids .. would very much like for them to be dual citizens given the trajectory of this place. Not in a huge hurry to leave just yet though considering how insulated New England is from the rest of the country. Wish we could build a wall and leave tbh.

Reactions: cytg111 and dank69

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I thought they already did this when Obama won?

We’ve already made arrangements to move to Canada if the shit hits the fan. Our snowbird Canadian neighbors agreed to let us rent their basement if we shovel the snow in the winter.
Suckers thou art. They probably get two metres of snow.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

EduCat

Feb 28, 2012
So now theyll own multiple properties in the USA and abroad. Wonderful, everyone can else can get fucked and rent for the rest of their lives.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016

The US is great when its all rosy - but you guys don't seem to realise your standard of living is actually quite shite.

Sure, when you have money coming in from a job, your in an OK position.

But wanna retire early? Better hope you've no medical issues in the near future.
Or you've a dependent with a medical condition? Good luck with that.

Whats your work-life balance like? Anecdotal I know, but those I know don't get many days off...