Record 46 Million Americans on Food Stamps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
What group of people is missing? Hmm. Maybe if the women knew how to please HER man they would have to rely on THE man.

Women leave the father of their child all the time, and then hope they can take enough allimony and child support so they dont have to have much of a real job. They are normally the ones on food stamps. To my knowledge.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Women leave the father of their child all the time, and then hope they can take enough allimony and child support so they dont have to have much of a real job. They are normally the ones on food stamps. To my knowledge.

Interesting. And the government is supporting this immorality why?

Nov 30, 2006
No, he has not, both sides are killing it...but IMO, he is more likely to try and implement that Romney/ Ryan...
Agree...Romney/Ryan will likely be pushing the Path to Prosperity plan if elected.

Anyway...I don't see anything in the Bowles-Simpson plan that will get people off food stamps. I frankly don't see what Obama is doing to help this country get out of this mess. Piss poor leadership imo.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
You would be surprised. I work as an engineer in a car part factory in middle of no where indiana. Which is also surrounded by 2 other factories.

And that is only for a few single car parts for Ford, GM and Chrysler. There are many more factories in American than people think.

The machines that make your car parts, the lathes, presses, welding machines,,, where were they made?

The steel that the car parts are made from, where was that steel made?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Because women would cry foul/unfair if anything about this was changed or moved.

Isn't interesting that while we have a record number of Americans on food stamps we also have a record number of women having bastard children?

May 13, 2009
46 mil on food stamps and probably only a couple million truly need them. The rest are just scumbags gaming the system because they can and are "entitled" to them. If any of you actually knew how the "poor" act you'd feel the same disgust I do for them. I know because I grew up dirt broke and have seen how it works.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
The machines that make your car parts, the lathes, presses, welding machines,,, where were they made?

The steel that the car parts are made from, where was that steel made?

Steel made from AK steel (american factories) and the machines were built from an american engineering group called "finish line".

All American.

(finishline is somewhere in Indiana, Twist another company used for coatign steel parts is Ohio, and AK steel is basically Ohio/WV/Kent)

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Has Obama implemented any aspects of the Bowles-Simpson plan? Seems to me that it's more abount deficit reduction than creating jobs.

My impression is that Bowles - Simpson or some other iteration of Obama Boehner Grand Bargain was designed to put country on glidepath to sustainable fiscal health over time (not to create jobs, per se).

Ken Moelis (former president UBS investment bank):

Uncertain environment for M&A (inflationary or deflationary ultimate outcome in Europe), speculation of Obama $4 trillion entitlement cut middle of next year (with no tax increases at that point!):

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000060748 (actual Obama grand bargain speculation start around 4:20 mark, but whole video clip is worth watching)

Basically, it said from political point of view, Obama couldn't agree to Grand Bargain last summer because it was too far from election and would open him up to primary challenger like what happened to H. W. Bush when he cut a deal too early.

Given that economy is slowly improving now, and Obama appears to be pulling away in electoral college (http://election.princeton.edu/2012/09/05/fivethirtyeights-bounce-error/), Republicans now get nothing, instead of something (temporary extension of all Bush tax cuts) because of their rigid obstructionism and rabid idealogy.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
46 mil on food stamps and probably only a couple million truly need them. The rest are just scumbags gaming the system because they can and are "entitled" to them. If any of you actually knew how the "poor" act you'd feel the same disgust I do for them. I know because I grew up dirt broke and have seen how it works.
People need to eat. I also grew up dirt poor and have seen how it works. Some game the system for sure, but most actually need them to eat.

Nov 30, 2006
Bowles - Simpson or some other iteration of Obama Boehner Grand Bargain I believe was designed to put country on glidepath to sustainable fiscal health over time (not to create jobs, per se).

Ken Moelis (former president UBS investment bank):

Uncertain environment for M&A (inflationary or deflationary ultimate outcome in Europe), speculation of Obama $4 trillion entitlement cut middle of next year (with no tax increases at that point!):

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000060748 (actual Obama grand bargain speculation start around 4:20 mark, but whole video clip is worth watching)

Basically, it said from political point of view, Obama couldn't agree to Grand Bargain last summer because it was too far from election and would open him up to primary challenger like what happened to H. W. Bush when he cut a deal too early.

Given that economy is slowly improving now, and Obama appears to be pulling away in electoral college, Republicans now get nothing, instead of something (temporary extension of all Bush tax cuts) because of their rigid obstructionism and rabid idealogy.
So...do you actually think doing away with the Bush tax cuts is a good thing for our economy and job growth?

BTW...thanks for the video link...I'll watch it over lunch.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
So...do you actually think doing away with the Bush tax cuts is a good thing for our economy and job growth?

BTW...thanks for the video link...I'll watch it over lunch.

Over time, yes (my impression is that Simpson Bowles is like taking a lump of debt out of system over 10 years, but revenue does need to go up eventually, and spending does need to come down, to keep things sustainable (deficits?) after Simpson Bowles has reset baseline to a more sustainable starting point).

Plus it seems to me Romney never intended to pay for his new round of tax cuts (deficits don't matter thinking) anyways, which is probably why the details of his plan are so vague, and forced that tax policy group to fill in blanks of paying for his tax cut or rich by taking away middle class tax cuts.

Obama has always been a pragmatic centrist (IIRC, during Democratic Primary in 2008, NY Times had really good article on Obama's previous political history, which echoed over and over again that he is a prudent and pragmatic centrist; title was something like Obama, pragmatic centrist politics born on southside or something like that), and if he sees all tax cuts need to be extended a year or two to help economy along, my guess is he would do it again (another temporary extension for a year or two) after reelection.

It is just like the slow transition into Obamacare. If it had taken effect right away, people would see benefits right now and be more positive about Obamacare. But he learned from Romney's experience in Massachussets that putting all of those new insured into system at once flood health care system. And most importantly, he waited to implement some of the added costs (you need individual mandate to make whole system work) only take effect in 2014, when consumer is closer to deleveraging from credit bubble years and projections for more robust recovery of economy are possibly projected.

If economy is really weak then and Obama thinks the new fees will really impair recovery, I wouldn't be surprised to see him push back implementation dates as needed.

Last edited:
May 13, 2009
People need to eat. I also grew up dirt poor and have seen how it works. Some game the system for sure, but most actually need them to eat.

Yes they need them to eat as they've spent the money they do have on alcohol, weed, or cigarettes or the latest iPhone.

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
When we set records for non-growth, unemployment, and national debt plus the unbelievable hatred there is aimed at business is it any wonder why we also set a record for food stamps? Reelect Obama so we can look back in 4 years and call this the good old days.

May 13, 2009
When we set records for non-growth, unemployment, and national debt plus the unbelievable hatred there is aimed at business is it any wonder why we also set a record for food stamps? Reelect Obama so we can look back in 4 years and call this the good old days.

lol. I don't care who gets elected as it doesn't change a thing. They are bought and are basically talking heads for whatever or whomever truly runs the country.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Found the old NY Times of Obama as pragmatic centrist here:
"An untraditional politician who at times uses traditional political tactics, Mr. Obama, 46, was portrayed in dozens of interviews with political leaders and longtime associates in Chicago as the ultimate pragmatist, a deliberate thinker who fashions carefully nuanced positions that manage to win him support from people with divergent views."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/us/politics/11chicago.html?pagewanted=all

(very good read for anyone who isn't a true Obama hater)

Last edited:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Steel made from AK steel (american factories) and the machines were built from an american engineering group called "finish line".

All American.

(finishline is somewhere in Indiana, Twist another company used for coatign steel parts is Ohio, and AK steel is basically Ohio/WV/Kent)

Its good that yall are using made in USA products.

A lot of the mills and lathes we used in the shops were made in germany.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Its good that yall are using made in USA products.

A lot of the mills and lathes we used in the shops were made in germany.

Yea. have to remember though all teh factories that build the car parts for the American car brands, there is quite a few. And actually a lot of them are hurting for workforce because "it isn't glamourous" by reputation.

So we have would have more than enough factories to convert to military related causes. I could see my plat be ready in abotu 3 months if the need arises, it is not too hard to convert quickly.

The downside to a war to help economically, is there is a good chance next big war nuclear warfare will begin.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
I tried to make the point before but how many of these people are 'working poor'?..we have a bigger issue then food stamps when people trying to work don't make enough to pay for a decent meal...

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I tried to make the point before but how many of these people are 'working poor'?..we have a bigger issue then food stamps when people trying to work don't make enough to pay for a decent meal...

I think your post goes back to how minimum wage helps fortune 500 companies but hurts small businesses.

Why should companies like walmart be allowed to pay their employees a wage low enough that the employee can sign up for welfare?

Why should apple be allowed to move its production facilities to china, while a record number of Americans are on food stamps?

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
lol. I don't care who gets elected as it doesn't change a thing. They are bought and are basically talking heads for whatever or whomever truly runs the country.

So who or whom runs the country? The New World Order? The military-industrial complex? Some Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy?

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
I still love George Baileys quote on the matter...

'Just remember this, Mr. Potter, that this rabble you're talking about... they do most of the working and paying and living and dying in this community. Well, is it too much to have them work and pay and live and die in a couple of decent rooms and a bath? '