Record 46 Million Americans on Food Stamps

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I'd be somewhat OK with food stamps if they were limited to only bare necessities rather than being accepted at convenience stores, fast food restaurants, etc.

Rice, flour, vegetables, water, chicken, hamburger meat, yeast, sugar, bread, beans, cheap fruit, etc. are the more basic necessities that food stamps should provide. Not Papa Murphy's pizzas, candy bars, soda, etc.

"But... but... I can't cook!"

You better learn fast or your ass is going to starve.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I still love George Baileys quote on the matter...

'Just remember this, Mr. Potter, that this rabble you're talking about... they do most of the working and paying and living and dying in this community. Well, is it too much to have them work and pay and live and die in a couple of decent rooms and a bath? '

I wonder what George Bailey would say to 40% of babies being born out of wedlock?

Or women choosing to divorce their husbands and sitting back and collecting alimony, child support, and food stamps?

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
i'm curious to know why you bring up that 40% figure there. do families qualify for more benefits if they aren't married?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
do families qualify for more benefits if they aren't married?

If the mother and father of the children are not married, then the mothers income is used to set the income guideline.

If the mother is not working,,, then you get the picture.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont know about the federal budget, but I do know not to shop in places that accept food stamps.
Customers are always obnoxious.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You have to create jobs to reduce the deficeit. Where do you think the tax dollars are going to come from?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
My family took a pay cut in this Depression, so the welfare people and the SS people can all take a pay cut as well!

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Piasabird, do the math, there's far more unemployed people than there are job openings. Even if every job opening is filled, there would still be tens of millions of unemployed people. Also, do you think that welfare and social security is a lot of money because it definitely isn't. Furthermore, cutting welfare and social security is going to cause a reduction in spending money thus hurting small businesses. This is a very difficult problem and the world isn't black and white.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I'd be somewhat OK with food stamps if they were limited to only bare necessities rather than being accepted at convenience stores, fast food restaurants, etc.

Rice, flour, vegetables, water, chicken, hamburger meat, yeast, sugar, bread, beans, cheap fruit, etc. are the more basic necessities that food stamps should provide. Not Papa Murphy's pizzas, candy bars, soda, etc.

"But... but... I can't cook!"

You better learn fast or your ass is going to starve.

This. We should give people a chance to at least survive in case they really need it, but there's not enough restrictions on using them unfortunately.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
46 mil on food stamps and probably only a couple million truly need them. The rest are just scumbags gaming the system because they can and are "entitled" to them. If any of you actually knew how the "poor" act you'd feel the same disgust I do for them. I know because I grew up dirt broke and have seen how it works.

While 46 million is a lot of people, I doubt only a couple million need them. Let's say that 90% of people on foodstamps don't need them, that still leaves 4.6 million people who would starve otherwise. Not only is this an ethical issue, but people are inclined to turn to stealing so they can survive. If you can come up with some good system that gives foodstamps and welfare to those who truly need it, I'd like to hear about it, but keep in mind of the administrative costs of having a highly regulated system.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Piasabird, do the math, there's far more unemployed people than there are job openings. Even if every job opening is filled, there would still be tens of millions of unemployed people. Also, do you think that welfare and social security is a lot of money because it definitely isn't. Furthermore, cutting welfare and social security is going to cause a reduction in spending money thus hurting small businesses. This is a very difficult problem and the world isn't black and white.

which unemployment figures are you looking at? 3 or 6?