Recooking a whole chicken in Instant Pot (to make it last longer)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I remember an aside from Alan Watts during one of his lectures (I'm really into those!), in which he said that simply boiling a chicken has a wonderful result. That's one reason I figured that a chicken in an Instant Pot is probably a good idea. Probably don't have to add anything but a chicken and water! I did get a recipe off the Internet the first time.

Really, after 3 cookings in my IP, the meat still isn't crumbly, but the chicken soup idea strikes me as great if I can't think of other things to do with it. I figure on left over chicken salad tonight along with a plate of chicken, gravy and quinoa.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I remember an aside from Alan Watts during one of his lectures (I'm really into those!), in which he said that simply boiling a chicken has a wonderful result. That's one reason I figured that a chicken in an Instant Pot is probably a good idea. Probably don't have to add anything but a chicken and water! I did get a recipe off the Internet the first time.

Really, after 3 cookings in my IP, the meat still isn't crumbly, but the chicken soup idea strikes me as great if I can't think of other things to do with it. I figure on left over chicken salad tonight along with a plate of chicken, gravy and quinoa.

I suggest at least partially cooking the chicken first to get a nice brown skin and removing most of the large pieces of meat. Usually what I do is either roast my own bird or snag a rotisserie at the store then use the carcass whole in a crock-pot for soup or a base for sauce.

Also keep in mind that super-thick chicken soup = "chicken stew" and is terrific served over rice or egg-noodles just like the beef variety.

Just don't go too crazy on the salt plus throw in lots of veggies and its really healthy too.

How to make chicken bone-broth

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Can you post the recipe? I've yet to like any chili I make, tried a bunch of times, don't know what the problem is, but I figure your chili is probably a good deal better than most!

Yup! If you like instant heat, add fresh jalapenos etc. I like to taste the food then feel the burn, so I used various dried peppers: (I like Flatiron mixes)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
If you're concerned about sodium and you're already cooking the chicken then why the hell are you buying a pre-cooked chicken anyway? Buy a whole bird from the fucking grocery store and then cook it in your instant pot. Take the meat off properly freaking portion it freeze the portions that you're not going to eat immediately and use the bones to make some stock or something.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I suggest at least partially cooking the chicken first to get a nice brown skin and removing most of the large pieces of meat. Usually what I do is either roast my own bird or snag a rotisserie at the store then use the carcass whole in a crock-pot for soup or a base for sauce.

Also keep in mind that super-thick chicken soup = "chicken stew" and is terrific served over rice or egg-noodles just like the beef variety.

Just don't go too crazy on the salt plus throw in lots of veggies and its really healthy too.

How to make chicken bone-broth
Yeah, I've been making beef stews during recent winters. I was wondering if I could just substituted chicken for the beef chunks. I figure I'll try it. Been making bone broths (stock) with the chickens I've bought over the last 2 months or so.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Seen it done in my childhood into adulthood by my mom with regular pots left out in the open, covered, unrefrigerated. Re-boiling will keep the food edible.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Seen it done in my childhood into adulthood by my mom with regular pots left out in the open, covered, unrefrigerated. Re-boiling will keep the food edible.
Yup, figures. And Alan Watts said it's a wonderful way to cook a chicken in the first place. Cover with water and boil.

Just about finished my 5 pounder started something like 3 weeks ago. Last night had a bit more cut-up chicken meat on my plate than I wanted to eat, so put it in refrigerator in small container... for today. Will throw it on top of my dinner salad. That chicken's twin is in my freezer (Costco occasionally sells single packed chickens, but usually they come in pairs, is what the worker there told me).

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I've been tempted by those Flatiron crushed peppers, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

I like them because there's a delay to most of the heat until after you eat the food. So you get to taste the flavors of the chili and THEN get the heat. Not everyone likes this, as a lot of people like their chili without heat or with instant heat. I'd recommend getting a full pack of the flavors to try them all out! I dehydrate peppers at home in my APO & sometimes grind them up into powder in my Krups spice grinder, but it's really convenient just buying a big bottle of flakes, particularly as they have multiple peppers in them so you get a variety. I really like the green mix, for example!